View Full Version : Fall Run

JohnR
09-12-2012, 06:30 AM
No whining in October and November that there is no fall run.

My experience has been that NOW is the time to be out there. While the fish are packing and getting ready, Last 2 weeks of September have been THE weeks to get out.

piemma
09-12-2012, 06:34 AM
My Fall season has been great. Nothing over 31 or 32# but lots of 20+#. Pogies are back so there are decent fish in Narr Bay again.

MAKAI
09-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Sigh ……… closest I've been to a bass is wiping the dust of my Wally Brown replica

iamskippy
09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Fall runs over head to CT thats where all the fish are :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spinncognito
09-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Starting to happen up here on the N. Shore....

Rockfish9
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM

yup.. they have been moving for about 2 weeks now...

fall run.. extremely over rated..alot of fish have been "removed" by the seasons culling...weather( both good and bad) often is detrimental to availability... good weather holds fish in their summer grounds a little longer, and when they do migrate.. they ride the deep water current on the outside.. bad weather scoots them early, and often times makes difficult conditions for all that seek them.. and those that have been fishing hard all summer ( and still going to work each day) are bruised,battered and just plain wore out..I'll say this... this has been one of the best years for all sizes of fish I have seen in a long.... long time.. maybe 20 years..in recent years I've seen larger individual schools of bigger or smaller fish some years, but the regularity that the mixed schools have been available this season is noteworthy.. all summer mixed schools of small, medium and large bass have been available on a nightly basis...Only twice all summer did we have a night when at least one fish( over 15lbs)did not come over the rail..and within 24 hours we were back on them.. the deepest we fished all summer was 10' ..... this will make for some exciting fishing for someone somewhere south of cape ann in the weeks to come...that being said... I took next week off for vacation... one last hard core charge before it slows down up here.. I'll be living on coffee, Advil and ice packs... If I fail to put a single fish in the boat, on the rocks or in the sand... you'll not hear me complain...I've already caught my share.. returned home safely every night ( that I fished) and the weather allowed me to do what I wanted to on most nights.. that my friends is as good as it gets.. and who could ask for more...

tight lines all.. it's on!:fishin:

doc
09-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Yup

N.ShoreFisher
09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Rockfish9
If I fail to put a single fish in the boat, on the rocks or in the sand... you'll not hear me complain...I've already caught my share.. returned home safely every night ( that I fished) and the weather allowed me to do what I wanted to on most nights.. that my friends is as good as it gets.. and who could ask for more...

tight lines all.. it's on!:fishin:[/QUOTE]

well said!!

piemma
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Rockfish9;958366]

.I'll say this... this has been one of the best years for all sizes of fish I have seen in a long.... long time.. maybe 20 years..in recent years I've seen larger individual schools of bigger or smaller fish some years, but the regularity that the mixed schools have been available this season is noteworthy.. all summer mixed schools of small, medium and large bass have been available on a nightly basis...

Absolutely agree. It has been one of my 5 best years of all time. I have consistently caught decent fish. I have also fished more and harder than in a long time.

JLH
09-12-2012, 11:18 AM
On vacation next week with nothing planned but fishing! Can't wait!!

Its been a great season in the surf, hopefully that continues into the fall but if the season ended tomorrow I wouldn't have a thing to complain about.

bassballer
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
This is my favorite time of the year. Hardtails! heading out in 20 minutes. Had to shift some appointments.

FishermanTim
09-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Remember, it's not always about the fish but the fishing!
Some of your best times we've all had weren't as much as what we caught but that we were catching with friends!

I have a few relatives that I HAVE to get to the shore at least once so that they can understand what drives me to the shore year after year.

american spirit
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
my fall runs always suck. probably because i don't get out much and can't read weather reports right. maybe this year. :fishin:

Jackbass
09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
It was very evident the run had started on the
Last moon.

basswipe
09-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Now is the time!

Little scared I might be going under-gunned tonight.

tattoobob
09-12-2012, 06:13 PM
What's a Fall Run? is it some type of race?

Swimmer
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Thats just an analogy for chasing mom around the kitchen table after dinner.:uhuh:

Clammer
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
After dinner ???? what happened .FOR dinner ><><><>:love:

BluesHarp
09-13-2012, 07:37 AM

"Fall Run" is what you see this time of year when breaking fish cause googans in waders to loose the minds and nearly kill themselves trying to beat the other guy to the spot.

bart
09-13-2012, 08:15 AM
It was very evident the run had started on the
Last moon.

Always does when you have a moon and a temp change/unstable weather at the end of Aug. It's been like this for at least 5 years now...

fish4striper
09-13-2012, 08:20 AM
My Fall season has been great. Nothing over 31 or 32# but lots of 20+#. Pogies are back so there are decent fish in Narr Bay again.

Great to hear Paul! I'll have to get back out there.

Slipknot
09-13-2012, 08:55 AM
I LOVE September!
favorite month of the year for sure
not only does the bass fishing pick up and they get larger it seems, but football season starts along with those other footballs=albies.

I don't always get fish lately because I must be zigging when they zag, but I do have fun trying. And fishing with friends is gravy.

Clogston29
09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
does a fall run at work count? :(

chapinfisherman
09-13-2012, 09:00 AM
I LOVE September!
favorite month of the year for sure
not only does the bass fishing pick up and they get larger it seems, but football season starts along with those other footballs=albies.

I don't always get fish lately because I must be zigging when they zag, but I do have fun trying. And fishing with friends is gravy.

me too....havent been out much yet for the fall run....been playing a lot of golf though...i love this time of year...football, golf, summer people gone, less traffic, fishing....fall is great when you dont have to go to school....and skiing is soon!

Strider
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
On vacation next week with nothing planned but fishing! Can't wait!!

Its been a great season in the surf, hopefully that continues into the fall but if the season ended tomorrow I wouldn't have a thing to complain about.

Same off until 9/25 :uhuh:

hq2
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Snuck over to Ipswich yesterday and caught a (decent) keeper;
first one from shore in 9 years. Hey is this typical of other
people's (daytime) shore fishing in recent years, or is it just me?
(Yeah, shouldn't ask that, I know I'm a clueless googan, out there
fishing with my reel turned up!):confused:

ProfessorM
09-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Took 3 days off this week. Weather was perfect and some of the best fishing I had all summer crammed into 3 non stop days and nites, both on south side for albies in tin boat in the mornings, then a short nap as I am old, and then other boat on bay at end of day till dark fishing with friends. You know how big Bruce is so I have him model the fish, 2 of many that nite and with Jim next nite with one of many again. All fish were released. Back to work today as I needed a rest. Get out and fish guys there are lots of choices to fish for and lots to catch.

Thanks to Joe and Brian for the eels they donated to me last week. As you can see I have been doing my best to killing them all.

rphud
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Nice metal in that Albies mouth!

GattaFish
09-14-2012, 07:05 PM

XXX 2

ProfessorM
09-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice metal in that Albies mouth!

nice eye there Bob:) The sparkle's I epoxied on them really made a difference and the smaller size too. Between Biteme on his boat, who got only other one, and me on mine I'll bet we got conservatively 50 albies in 3 days on that lure. Thank god I didn't make more.

striperman36
09-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Bruce is having trouble lifting those fish! He's needs to work out more.

Slipknot
09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Thank god I didn't make more.
and if you did, it would have been on my line today ;) maybe I would have had a lot more than 8, but I had a great day

and even better night the other day, thanks Paul, even though we cheated, it was my first 40 from the fiberglass platform.

Bruce is having trouble lifting those fish! He's needs to work out more.
you try lifting 75 pounds like that :D
that fish I caught had SHOULDERS, and Paul's was no minnow either

rphud
09-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Some fish love sparkle!

bart
09-15-2012, 08:08 AM
nice, Paul!

Night Shift
09-15-2012, 08:35 AM
My pleasure, I didn't expect anything less from those eels.:)

Congrats on your fish guys

Rockfish9
09-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Took 3 days off this week. Weather was perfect and some of the best fishing I had all summer crammed into 3 non stop days and nites, both on south side for albies in tin boat in the mornings, then a short nap as I am old, and then other boat on bay at end of day till dark fishing with friends. You know how big Bruce is so I have him model the fish, 2 of many that nite and with Jim next nite with one of many again. All fish were released. Back to work today as I needed a rest. Get out and fish guys there are lots of choices to fish for and lots to catch.

Thanks to Joe and Brian for the eels they donated to me last week. As you can see I have been doing my best to killing them all.

Glad to see Cape bass like those PI eels. if ya run low.. let me know.. I'll be trapping this week...

striperman36
09-15-2012, 09:45 AM
It's funny season on the Cape, I never burn so much gas with such little so show for it

ProfessorM
09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
LOL. I pretty much emptied my 6 gallon tank, 15 hp, everyday I was out there Bill and I really didn't have to travel very far. Just kept motor running for 7 hours.

ProfessorM
09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Glad to see Cape bass like those PI eels. if ya run low.. let me know.. I'll be trapping this week...

I hope I need to get a hold of you Joe . That will mean I am doing good. Still got some left, maybe 1 or 2 trips worth left. The shops seem to have them a plenty again so I probably won't bother you and I think it is going to be a canal week for me this upcoming week, although if it fizzles I will be out in boat very quickly. Again you and Brian were so, so, generous. :uhuh: Thanks again guys.

piemma
09-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Talk about gas. I have been doing the ditch 3 or 4 days a week. 180 mile round trip. 800 to 1000 miles a week. Good thing i have a little Suzuki SX4. Looks silly with 10' rods on the roof but it get great gas mileage. Around 30 to 32 so at $3.75 a gallon it's about $20.00 R/T

piemma
09-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I hope I need to get a hold of you Joe . That will mean I am doing good. Still got some left, maybe 1 or 2 trips worth left. The shops seem to have them a plenty again so I probably won't bother you and I think it is going to be a canal week for me this upcoming week, although if it fizzles I will be out in boat very quickly. Again you and Brian were so, so, generous. :uhuh: Thanks again guys.

Paul, very quiet where I was this AM. 1 fish in 3+ hours.

bassballer
09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Talk about gas. I have been doing the ditch 3 or 4 days a week. 180 mile round trip. 800 to 1000 miles a week. Good thing i have a little Suzuki SX4. Looks silly with 10' rods on the roof but it get great gas mileage. Around 30 to 32 so at $3.75 a gallon it's about $20.00 R/T

i hope your putting that boat to use before you sell it. Woudl be a shame.

Bronko
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Way to go Paul!!

piemma
09-16-2012, 08:10 AM
i hope your putting that boat to use before you sell it. Woudl be a shame.

May keep it for the cape. :):):)