View Full Version : screwed???

Bleachboy
05-29-2003, 09:35 PM
turned my first 1/2 dozen plugs....gonna take them for a swim this weekend.......

had a bunch of screw eyes sittin' around so I used them instead of thru wire......

any of you folks go that route or ya wiring everything???

anyone experience major problems with screw eyes pullin' out or anything (remember the fishys down here aint big like yours

;) )

Jigman
05-30-2003, 08:25 AM
I think you'll find guys using both methods. If you are using screw eyes, use epoxy on the threads too. Helps keep the eyes from moving. Hopefully guzz will see this and let you in on how he does screw eyes.

Jigman

guzz
05-30-2003, 05:14 PM
i use screw eyes pretty much excluesively.have not had any problems with them pulling out thus far.here is how i set them.first off,i would suggest only using stainless steel screw eyes.they are way stronger than the nickel plated crap.i counter sink the plug with an aul,or a nail,then drill a pilot hole.i think i use a 1/16" bit for the pilot hole.i then counter bore the pilot hole.i drill it at least twice the width,and half the depth of the screw eye used.for saltwater plugs i mostly use one inch .072 diameter screw eyes.but if you really want to make sure they don't budge,you can use the one and a half inch .092 diameter screw eyes.i then fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy.you don't have much working time with this stuff so if your doing several plugs i'd keep it to two,or three screw eyes at a time max.when the mix is still wet,insert the screw eye.once it has set up,i mix another batch of 5 minute epoxy up and dab some around the area where the screw eye,and the wood meet.when the screw eyes are set in this fashion,you have half of the threads epoxied,and embedded in the plug.and the other half of the screw eye incased in it's own plug of epoxy.

when i first started using this method,i asked bassmaster to stress test a couple of plugs i made on some bass in his area.if they held up to the sized fish he catches,and the abuse that lad puts on a plug,then i know they'll hold up to the dinky sized fish i usually catch.

hiya jigsy :)

guzz

Bleachboy
05-30-2003, 08:15 PM
thanks jigs

Guzz, I like your method. I know the screws that I have are not S.S so I'm really not expecting much durability. These plugs are just a test batch. Two things I gotta ask ya Guzz........first let me know where I can get some S.S screws (alomg with other lure supplies)........... Also the epoxy your using is most likely the same as I use for flies (Devcon) Do you notice any breakdown (yellowing/brittle) of this epoxy over time? After a season my jiggy and candy flies are not lookin' good so I'm wondering if that would cause a problem in plugs?

Thanks

B B

guzz
05-30-2003, 08:53 PM
i use the five minute epoxy because i want a quick set time.but this stuff is not water proof.only water resistant.but the 30 minute stuff(devcon) is water proof.the thirty minute epoxy is what i put on as a clear coat over the paint.so using the five minute stuff isn't a problem because it gets a coating of thirty minute over top of it.i use those cheapo brushes kids use for water painting.your only going to get one use out of the brush anyway.apply a very thin,uniform coat,and just hang it up to dry.it will be dry enough to touch in three to four hours.and totally cured in eight.if you don't glob it on,you won't have any runs.

i'm going to put up two links to places where you can get everything you need for building plugs.screw eyes,split rings,ect.if this is against this site's policy please forgive me,and by all means delete the links.i have no association with these companies.

www.jannsnetcraft.com and www.staminainc.com

you can either order on line,or get a free catalog from them.

guzz

Bleachboy
05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks a million Guzz!!!

BTW ya fishin' the fling over here saturday?

weather's gonna be crappy again:(