View Full Version : to dog or not to dog

RIJIMMY
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
I have something I didnt have most years of my adult life - a short commute, a fenced in yard, good size house and two kids 8 and 10.
I love dogs. I think they're amazing creatures and really like having them around. But....in the past my experience hasnt been that great. I had dogs as a kid and been around them most of the time. Before kids we had a small dog and my wife and I had a lot of issues. I wont elaborate, they were a little bizarre that I think were related to pre-childbirth anxiety.
So my kids have been talking about a dog for awhile. They like small breeds like pugs or french bulldogs. I have been doing some research and really like what I read about french bulldogs. great family pets, dont bark, dont need a ton of exercise, good with kids, etc. I have been giving my kids the whole responsibility pitch like every other parent. They know I have been doing research and have been on me. I know dogs are big responsibilites and I really take it to heart its a living thing. My kids will only be kids once and I think a dog is a great companion and can help build character and learn responsbility. WOuld appreciate any feedback or things I should consider.

PRBuzz
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Got'a have one! Raised my kids with 2 dogs both Heinz57 breed or as I like to call them "one-of-a-kinds", first last 14 yrs and 2nd 12 yrs. Actually had the first dog 6 months before first kid. Integral part of the kids up bringing.

Will admit that the the wife (and I) did a lot of the walks, feeding, baths, etc, so just be fore warned.

Jimbo
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
My girls were probably around 12 and 18 when we got our boxer. I heard a lot of the "We'll take care of him, I promise daddy." My wife did her homework, found a breeder, took him to training, but I had my doubts about how long the attention to the dog would last and had my backyard fenced in, so even if they didn't walk the dog they could let him out to run around and I'd deal with the piles when I got to them. I gave up asking for help cleaning up the yard long ago. There would be no problem if I asked one of them to sit on the couch with the dog draped across her legs rubbing his chest. I don't regret getting a dog at all except when he snorts in my face. When I get home from work we go outback throw the soccer ball around for a while and he listens to me bitch about stuff.

basswipe
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
It doesn't really matter what type of dog you decide on,your kids are at an age where they will love it no matter what.All dogs will thrive with love and attention,that and proper care/diet.

Consider a shelter or rescue dog.

Btw I'm partial to Dachshunds,as my almost 13yr old one :eyes: me!(He came from Potters in Middletown).

chefchris401
09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I love my dogs and couldn't see being without one now.

As far as frenchies they are great dogs, my friends have two and the some Of the office people have them, they are great little dogs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I used petfinder for both my dogs, one was a rescue from Texas and the other was 3 towns over.

I checked the site every day at least twice, until I found a dog that was the right fit for me and my other dog. Was worth the wait and better than paying some puppy mill or breeder.

They are both mixes and have great personalities and less health issues than my friends with pure bred dogs.

There are a few sites like petfinder out there worth a look and doing a great thing.

But if you want a pure bred frenchy I can get you the name of their breeder.

Jimbo
09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Another place, if a rescue dog is a consideration, is the Animal Rescue League in New Bedford. My dad just got a dog there a couple months ago that was brought up from the south somewhere. Swore he was "only going to look" and came back with a great dog that looks to be a mix maybe of spaniel, beagle and possibly some collie. Doesn't matter, they have been practicaly inseparable since. He said the people are really good there.

striperman36
09-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Do not get a FooFoo dog. I have a Sheperd and a Corgi. Both rescued. Go to the pound or somewhere other then a petstore. Friend for life.

Sea Dangles
09-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I am a dog person too and agree they are great friends for you and the kids alike. I will offer a word of caution regarding your expectations for the kids and their future soulmate;don't expect them to always be there for the dog. They will not want to walk it in the rain,won't pick up the waste,and even feeding will become a chore.Do your homework regarding breeds some have inherent health problems(bulldogs) others shed a lot(shepherds)and I have also noticed a lot of the small dogs are just plain dumb,as in "what's my name again?".If you have a pool you may want a dog that swims.You also may want a dog that will fetch.Some are too big to take on a trip while others are so small you may not want to be seen with them.Get a dog that makes sense for your lifestyle,spend as much time with it as you can and never forget; a walk for a dog is like fishing for most of us.They love it. Good Luck TXJ.

striperman36
09-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Shepherds only shed twice a year. Unfortunately each is six months long.

Nebe
09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I wont elaborate, they were a little bizarre that I think were related to pre-childbirth anxiety.

Nooo please elaborate.. it might give us some insight into your inner issues... :rotf2:

RIJIMMY
09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Nooo please elaborate.. it might give us some insight into your inner issues... :rotf2:

They were my wives not mine. I have no problem sharing my inner issues on this website.

Good advice dangles. thats how we've been approaching it.

bassballer
09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
i have two dogs and could imagine not having them. i have an american bulldog and choc lab. Both super energetic dogs. I have a large backyard so I run them in the yard twice a day with tennis balls. And about 3 days a week take them to the beach swimming, and they come out on the boat with me. Big dogs need LOTS of exercise. So if your considering a lab or golden remember that they need to be RAN! Pumped up, nergy bound dogs = bad dogs. Definitley get one. Your purchasing a best freind. No kid or wife will ever be that excited to see you come home. EVER

fishbones
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
My son has just started on the dog kick and is getting relentless. At 7 1/2 years old, I know he won't take it out for walks and definitely won't clean up after it (I can't even get him to pick his legos up off the floor). I told him when he's 10 we can look into it and he tried to negotiate by saying that he'll be ready to care for one by Christmas. He even went on his computer and tried to add a live puppy to his Amazon wish list. I love dogs but don't want to be the primary caretaker for one right now, so we're gonna hold off. Who knows, he might wear me down by next summer or he may forget about it.

I think in your situation with 2 kids who are both older than mine, they will be better suited to care for a dog and give it the attention it will need. Good luck with your decision. Maybe you can get a dog that will herd for you once you become a real Texan and get some livestock.

striperman36
09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
My son has just started on the dog kick and is getting relentless. At 7 1/2 years old, I know he won't take it out for walks and definitely won't clean up after it (I can't even get him to pick his legos up off the floor). I told him when he's 10 we can look into it and he tried to negotiate by saying that he'll be ready to care for one by Christmas. He even went on his computer and tried to add a live puppy to his Amazon wish list. I love dogs but don't want to be the primary caretaker for one right now, so we're gonna hold off. Who knows, he might wear me down by next summer or he may forget about it.

I think in your situation with 2 kids who are both older than mine, they will be better suited to care for a dog and give it the attention it will need. Good luck with your decision. Maybe you can get a dog that will herd for you once you become a real Texan and get some livestock.

Bring him over he can walk the 92 lb sheperd or the 35 lb corgi

fishbones
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Bring him over he can walk the 92 lb sheperd or the 35 lb corgi

Sounds great! I'll drop him off tomorrow around 7pm and pick him up after the Pats game is over on Sunday. Thanks for the offer!

RIJIMMY
09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
hey John, my daughter is loving lacrosse, they have their first scrimage this sunday, its an all day affair with girls from 3rd grade through high school. they have a great program in our town and the coaches are awesome.

fishbones
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
hey John, my daughter is loving lacrosse, they have their first scrimage this sunday, its an all day affair with girls from 3rd grade through high school. they have a great program in our town and the coaches are awesome.

That's awesome. Jason already said he wants to play again this spring. It's a bit confusing to follow at first, but once you figure out which players can go where and what the rules are, it's fun to watch. I enjoy watching it much more than baseball and soccer.