View Full Version : I'm Concerned About America(genuinely)

scottw
09-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Cranston(RI) was in the news a while back due to a lawsuit by the ACLU on behalf or an atheist who was offended by a banner that was a gift from a previous graduating class which extolled inspirational virtues and referenced God...this was apparently unbearable and had to be removed...

Cranston schools received notice from their superintendent recently notifying them that the schools may no longer hold father/daughter dances or mother/son events as these conflicted with state law somehow...apparently a Title 9 infraction

this was prompted by a letter from the ACLU who represent a woman who is a single mom who feels that her daughter is wrongly being excluded because she doesn't happen to have a dad...

the Mayor of Cranston is outraged....our illustrious Governor commented that "times are changing"...in other words...live with it:uhuh:

I imagine that other school districts will beging to receive similar letters from the ACLU

I wonder if/when this will end....

the 47% percent that largely constitute what Romney was referring to recently and is being hammered over are a portion of America who appear very cognizant of a whole host of rights that they feel they are entitled to at the behest of government or some government agent while acknowledging little or no responsiblity attached to those rights nor any concern for the rights of others and they are fully supported in their one way street of rights without responsibility by a particular political persuasion...which makes individual liberty, responsibility and accountability a tough sell, especially when your counterpart is an accomplished panderer and purveyor of class warfare and promoter of better living through government largess...:)

Jim in CT
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Just about 50% o fthe country is absolutely, 100% willing to follow the economic path that Greece is blazing for us.

We have a charlatan, empty suit president who seems to believe that if we tweak tax rates on the uber-wealthy, everything will be hunky-dory.

And most importantly, we have 10,000 Baby Boomers a day turning 65, a trend that will continue for 15 years. Their social security and, more importantly, Medicare benefits, will be the final nail in our economic coffin. Unless something drastic is done. Obama either fails to recognize the threat, or just doesn't have the courage to be honest about what needs to be done. There isn't a third option.

Claiming you can solve this problem by taxing the rich a bit (while still adding more than $1 trillion to the debt each year) is like saying you can put out the Chicago fire with a thimble of water. Obama probably genuinely believes he could pull that off. Somehow, 50% of the country would believe him.

scottw
09-19-2012, 06:52 AM
I wonder what % of Rhode Islanders that the Governor of ALL of RI offended with his "pffft" reaction to this...

also...

RI Sen. Whitehouse was deeply offended by Romney's allusion to the percentage of American who might not be accepting of his message .... I think he called them(the remarks) divisive

WIKI
During the passing of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Whitehouse cautioned that conservative opposition to the bill was moving toward historical incidences of mob violence, saying "Too many colleagues are embarked on a desperate, no-holds-barred mission of propaganda, obstruction and fear. . . . History cautions us of the excesses to which these malignant, vindictive passions can ultimately lead. Tumbrils have rolled through taunting crowds. Broken glass has sparkled in darkened streets. Strange fruit has hung from southern trees." Whitehouse said "birthers," "fanatics," and "people running around in right-wing militia and Aryan support groups "oppose America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009.

huh :)

just as an aside, I don't think Romney's comments were politically smart for public consumption though they were accurate generally and smart from a tactical standpoint as to the futility of trying to sway a certain percentage that will inevitably vote for O because of what he represents to them....it's reality...it would involve trying to outpander a panderer in his own ball park, better to try to win over the remaining and use the bully pulpit once successful to begin to change the vector...the brush that he usued was a bit broad, but the feigned horror coming from the left and the President who have spent the last 4 years systematically offending and insulting one segment of American society after another is just laughable...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157481/majority-say-government-doing.aspx

justplugit
09-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Romney's remarks were right on, people always vote their pocket books
and if they're getting something for free it's only human nature to keep
it going.
Problem is we are going broke and they can't see that soon there will
be nothing left for anybody. They are not willing to sacfice to save
the goose that lays the golden egg.
They want it all on the backs of the people that work hard and save.

RIJIMMY
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I have been to a bunch of father daughter dances and there were allways Mom's there with some kids. No one gave a crap.

Jim in CT
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
In Oregon, an elementary school principal declared that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are, wait for it, racist. I wonder who this principal is going to vote for in November? No way to tell, I guess...

Peanut Butter And Jelly Racist? Portland School Principal Ties Sandwich To White Privilege (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/is-peanut-butter-and-jelly-racist_n_1874905.html)

RIJIMMY
09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
we eat peanut butter because of George Washington Carver, someone my elementary kids study as a major success of black scientists and sucessful americans and now peanut butter is racist. guys a moron

The Dad Fisherman
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I think someone needs to tell her the difference between race and culture....I can see using a PB&J to highlight differences in culture....and not in a negative way

Bronko
09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Tax payer funded sex Changes in MA, no more big sodas in NYC, no more father daughter dances in RI, banning racist peanut butter sandwiches in Oregon.... Things are looking good in the ole USA.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Tax payer funded sex Changes in MA, no more big sodas in NYC, no more father daughter dances in RI, banning racist peanut butter sandwiches in Oregon.... Things are looking good in the ole USA.

Yes, if this is the signs of the present than I fear (more) for the future.

striperman36
09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
we aren't allowed to take pb to school because of severe allergies. The nurse is not allowed to know which kids have these allergies until a reaction happens then she has to run and open the kids file where the parents are required to supply a an epi pen.
because the nurses office is 5 min on a dead run round trip to the cafeteria, they banned pb all together.

Fishpart
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Welcome to Utopia where the Government provides for all your needs from vast warehouses the Ruling Class gets to decide what you allowed to do......

RIJIMMY
09-19-2012, 01:52 PM

please dont forget "no cupcakes" allowed in Mansfield Public Schools.

FishermanTim
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
From politicians with absolutely no self respect, state officials that hold themselves above their constituants to school officials that show they really never were educated,......we are all screwed!

Why do we have to allow these injustices to continue?
Why?
Because we HAVE to. We can try to vote people out of office, but there's always some :trump" card they pull that allows them to continue to screw us over.

PB&J is racist? I think that school official is an idiot, not deserving of even pushing a broom in that school!

Father/daughter or Mother/son dances are unfair to single parents?
Unless the single parent is a widow/widower or legally divorced, all I see is a money-grubbing spotlight seeking trailer-trash tramp. It's amazing the power she must feel knowing that her one complaint has control over the entire state 's school system. I hope that they let the people know WHO is screwing them over, so they can, you know, "thank" her personally.

What pi$$es me off most is that these 47% entitlement whores are always the first to complain when they can't get their way, and alway love to brag about how they get all that "free" stuff from the "guberment".

I may take a page from my brother's game book and start buying gold and then a firearm (legally) for when the $hit truly hits the fan!!!

striperman36
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
please dont forget "no cupcakes" allowed in Mansfield Public Schools.

No paper airplanes either Jim.

Suprise balloons are allowed, had an employee that just freaked one time about that, said her childs eyes were in danger from an explosion of a balloon 8 ft in the air.

No bottled water in Newton under 1 litre.

The Dad Fisherman
09-20-2012, 05:32 AM

You can add no letting your kids playing outside un-supervised in Texas to the List.....

Mom sues police and neighbor after she is arrested for letting her kids play outside | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mom-sues-polices-she-arrested-letting-her-kids-134628018.html)

You can't get away from it RIJ.....its spreading like a cancer

likwid
09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Welcome to Utopia where the Government provides for all your needs from vast warehouses the Ruling Class gets to decide what you allowed to do......

It has nothing to do with ruling classes or utopia, its stupid BS that for the most part TOWNS don't have the budget/desire/ability to fight.

spence
09-20-2012, 06:47 AM
What pi$$es me off most is that these 47% entitlement whores are always the first to complain when they can't get their way, and alway love to brag about how they get all that "free" stuff from the "guberment".

You really didn't just say that did you?

-spence

spence
09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Romney's remarks were right on, people always vote their pocket books and if they're getting something for free it's only human nature to keep it going.
Like my father who paid into Medicare and SS all his life now to be getting the benefits he was promised?

How is this "getting something for free"?

-spence

buckman
09-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Like my father who paid into Medicare and SS all his life now to be getting the benefits he was promised?

-spence

My kids won't have it unless something changes. Just tell your Dad about how promises are meant to be broken.... funny promises mean something now.

Jim in CT
09-20-2012, 08:04 AM

-spence

Spence, you just don't get it. Romney clearly did not say (nor was he implying) that people who pay into SS and Medicare aren't entitled to those benefits. He was talking about people who pay no federal income taxes, yet continue to enjoy the benefits provided by federal services.

And even though Romney didn't say it, I'll say it. You dad, of course, is getting a lot of Medicare benefit for free. Why? Because (assuming he needs an average amount of medical care in old age, and assuming he had average income during his working years) he is getting astronomically more in benefits than he paid in premiums. The difference (and this is what liberals seem to struggle with) is paid for by people who are working today.

Either you don't get this, or you don't want to get it.

Let me use a bit of hyperbole to make a point. Let's say Medicare is aprogram where you pay $1 a year to the feds while working, and in return, you get free healthcare for life when you retire. Sounds great! No one would object to this. Except it does not work when you have a demographic avalance like the Baby Boomers - larger numbers of retirees, who live longer in retirement than previous retirees, and who will need significantly more expensive care than previous retirees.

Conservatives admit the plan is broken. Liberals say "watch out for those mean conservatives! They want old people to die in the street!"

justplugit
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM

-spence

Ask your Dad, would he rather have invested that SS money himself
over all these years or paid into the system that is going broke.
Spence, you are paying into it now and at your age when the time comes
it won't be there for you. But thanks anyway for contributing to my SS check. :btu:

RIROCKHOUND
09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
But thanks anyway for contributing to my SS check. :btu:

So I guess your one of the 47% then, right?

justplugit
09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
So I guess your one of the 47% then, right?

Nope, I had no choice, I had to pay into it. :(
It's a Pyramid/Ponzi scheme.

RIROCKHOUND
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Medicare? Medicade?

If you aren't paying income tax, and are getting services, don't you fall into that category Romney outlined then?

zimmy
09-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Jplug, you are in the group he was talking about, like it or not. How many of the 47% are in the same boat? Well, the answer is out there and it is about 10% of all Americans. Exclude those people and it is 37%. So what about his statement was actually true?

RIJIMMY
09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
So what about his statement was actually true?

Zim, zim zim -

- its true that Obama supporters believe the govt should be providing healthcare, home finacnce support, etc. Do you disagree? This is O's platform and what he drives for.

- its true Obama supporters believe in entitlement and that wealth should be distributed. Right?

- Its true that Obamas base will vote for him no matter what Romney says or does. Right?

What part of the above is not true and what part was not explicit in Romneys statement?

RIJIMMY
09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
That Romney, he sure is wacky. Safe to assume food stamp and welfar recipients dont pay taxes, right?

The number of Americans on food stamps (or, as it is now called, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP) is higher than ever before, according to a new Congressional Budget Office report. Since 2007, rolls have grown by 70 percent. And participation rates are expected to increase over the next two years.While some of the growth can be attributed to the recession, participation rates were steadily climbing prior to the recession. Since 2000, the number of Americans on food stamps has jumped by roughly 260 percent, from 17.2 million to 44.7 million in 2011.Naturally, government spending on food stamps has also jumped, from approximately $20 billion in 2000 to a whopping $78 billion last year, a nearly 400 percent increase.The growth in participation rates seems to be part of the federal government’s goal, as a report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture released just this month explains.

The food stamps program is just one part of an ever-expanding government welfare system that includes not only 12 food assistance welfare programs but a total of 79 federal welfare programs. These programs provide not only food assistance but cash, housing, energy and utility assistance, education services, child care, medical care, and so forth.The total cost of these programs reached $927 billion last year. Welfare is now the fastest growing part of government spending, and despite welfare costs increasing 16-fold since the War on Poverty began in the 1960s—and total spending on cash, food, and housing assistance now twice the amount necessary to pull all Americans out of poverty—President Obama wants to spend more. Aggregate welfare costs are projected to reach over $1.5 trillion in 2022.

Jim in CT
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Romney's statements have an awful lot of truth to them. Yuo can parse and get hypertechnical to find gaffes. Romney did not say that those who collect SS or Medicare (after paying into those programs) consider themselves to be "victims".

Who is he implying thinks of themselves as victims? Obama's base. Is there some truth to that? Yep. Does every single Obama suporter see themselves as a victim? Nope.

Romney's statement is a hell of a lot more truthful than this blunder by Obama, which the media gave him a pass on (except for Sean Hannity)...

""And it's not surprising then that they (meaning working-class voters in PA whom he was struggling with)get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them...as a way to explain their frustrations,"

I'm concerned about a country that gives Obama a pass for saying teh above, but attacks Romney for un-elegantly stating the truth.

Romney has all the ammunition he needs to gut Obama like a fish in the debates (like, "how do you add $5 trillion to the debt and have a net loss of jobs to show for it", and "where do you get off blowing off the Israeli PM but finding time to have dinner with Jay-Z, whle the Middle East is literally burning). If he doesn't clobber Obama in the debates, and I mean clobber him, this thing is over.

justplugit
09-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Medicare? Medicade?

Again not my choice, I had to pay into it and have to continue to pay into it.
It too will go broke soon. Go to any Doc's office and see how many patients there
are on Medicare. Go for a Cat scan or MRI and see how many grey heads
you count, then you'll know it is unsustainable.

401-k is a different story, I chose to go the route as it is tax free until you
withdraw. No brianer. If it were'nt for my 401-k , and all I had was SS I would be
on the bread line getting food stamps as part of the 47%.
Paying into a 401-k is an individual choice you make and along with it
comes personal responsibility. I like my independence and Freedom of Choice.

justplugit
09-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Romney's statement is a hell of a lot more truthful than this blunder by Obama, which the media gave him a pass on (except for Sean Hannity)...

""And it's not surprising then that they (meaning working-class voters in PA whom he was struggling with)get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them...as a way to explain their frustrations,"

Ah yes, out of the mouth of a man who is supposedly for the working class citizens.
:smash:

FishermanTim
09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
You really didn't just say that did you?

-spence

Let me rephrase that as "welfare cheats".

FishermanTim
09-20-2012, 03:39 PM

-spence

It's not, but what about the millions of "undocument immigrants" that are given welfare benefits like they are giving out free samples at Costco?

zimmy
09-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Zim, zim zim -

- its true that Obama supporters believe the govt should be providing healthcare, home finacnce support, etc. Do you disagree? This is O's platform and what he drives for.
Of course many Obama supporters believe that. As did Romney as governor. As did Reagan and Bush 1 and 2. They all included money for those things in their budgets. Not specifically providing healthcare, since that statement is misleading, but that medicare, government loans, etc. have value.

- its true Obama supporters believe in entitlement and that wealth should be distributed. Right?
Obama supporters believe that thre is a need for social protections. They believe in a progressive tax system, as has pretty much every president in the last 80 years. It isn't a question of redistributing wealth, even if Obama puts it that way. The sum of taxes have an enormous impact on the middle class and the poor. For an idiot like Romney to pretend that 47% of the country isn't affected by taxes is moronic. Especially when a guy like Romney makes tons of money off of profits that are only the level they are because of government subsidies in natural resources and ag. He would have much less money if it wasn't for the government or if all income was taxed at the same level. Or if his dad hadn't been on welfare :smash::smash:
- Its true that Obamas base will vote for him no matter what Romney says or does. Right? Maybe. In the same way that the con bases isn't voting for Obama. But the Romney of Massachussetts would have had a better chance than the shape shifter psuedo-radical he has become to please the nutsos in the party.

What part of the above is not true and what part was not explicit in Romneys statement? It isn't remotely what he said

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... "

You said he was 100% correct. He was nearly entirely wrong. First off, the 47% who don't pay income tax, don't all vote for dems.
The entire 47% aren't dependent on government. Many of them are defending our country. Many of them are retired and payed their share. Many are students.

47% don't think the government has responsibility to care for them, although some people may think the government has a responsibility to help the poor.

47% don't believe they are entitled to health care, although some may think that everyone should have it for a variety of reasons.

He is factually incorrect and it is pandering to people too foolish to understanding he is scapegoating other Americans to get votes. "Your life would be so much better if it weren't for all these bloodsuckers bringing you down." The cons don't like when Sharpton does it, but the leaders of the repubes are surving on the same tactics. What Romney said was incorrect. It can be spun, be it isn't backed by facts or any semblance of truth.

RIJIMMY
09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... "

You said he was 100% correct. He was nearly entirely wrong. First off, the 47% who don't pay income tax, don't all vote for dems.
The entire 47% aren't dependent on government. Many of them are defending our country. Many of them are retired and payed their share. Many are students.

47% don't think the government has responsibility to care for them, although some people may think the government has a responsibility to help the poor.

47% don't believe they are entitled to health care, although some may think that everyone should have it for a variety of reasons.

He is factually incorrect and it is pandering to people too foolish to understanding he is scapegoating other Americans to get votes. "Your life would be so much better if it weren't for all these bloodsuckers bringing you down." The cons don't like when Sharpton does it, but the leaders of the repubes are surving on the same tactics. What Romney said was incorrect. It can be spun, be it isn't backed by facts or any semblance of truth.

Im not going to continue the debate, not worth it. but one thing that amuses me is how you continue to call romney and the people at the fundraiser foolish/ idiots when they've made more $ in a year than you or I will make in a lifetime and have respectable, profitable extremely successful careers. I guess you would be more impressed hanging at Obamas fundraiser with Jay-z and Beyonce and hang with successful intellects like Eva Longoria and Brad Pitt. True leaders in our country.

zimmy
09-20-2012, 04:18 PM

!

Romney says stupid things and they keep getting repeated.
Here are actual facts:
"The biggest programs and their percentage of the U.S. population:

—Medicaid: 26 percent

—Social Security: 16 percent

—Food stamps: 16 percent

—Medicare: 15 percent

—Women, Infants and Children food program: 8 percent"

and the 46% who don't pay income tax:

Why they don't pay:

—About half don't earn enough money for a household of their size to owe income tax. For example, a family of four earning less than $26,400 would owe no taxes using the standard exemptions and deductions.

—About 22 percent get tax breaks for senior citizens that offset their income.

—About 15 percent get tax breaks for the working poor or low-income parents.

—Almost 3 percent get tax breaks for college tuition or other education expenses.

Who they are:

—The vast majority have below-average earnings: Among all who don't owe, 9 out of 10 make $50,000 or less.

—But some of the wealthy escape taxes, including about 4,000 households earning more than $1 million a year.

scottw
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
the really, really smart(non-idiots) who claim that Romney has blown it or is blowing it, resulting in a sure re-election for their Dear Leader.... sure seem awfully cranky, prickly and of generally poor disposition .....:)

Jim in CT
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
the really, really smart(non-idiots) who claim that Romney has blown it or is blowing it, resulting in a sure re-election for their Dear Leader.... sure seem awfully cranky, prickly and of generally poor disposition .....:)

That's because Obama and his disciples don't like anyone who doesn't bow down and kiss his ring...Obama accused Hilary Clinton of playing the race card...he told his base that "they" (menaing the McCain campaign) were going to try and make people afraid of the fact that he's black (like McCain would do that); Obama has 99% of the media in his pocket, but that's not good enough, so he obsesses over FoxNews; Obama has 99.99% of Hollywood in his pocket, but he throws a hissy-fit when Matt Damon criticizes him. Obama is the most thin-skinned person you;ll ever meet. He (and his disciples) hate Romney for not bowing to Obama's greatness.

We're screwed. This should be an absolutely "gimme" of an election. If conservatives don't win the White House and at least pick up a few senate seats, our country cannot possibly avoid the fate of Europe.

On what basis can you say the guy is doing a good job? Only the stock market, which is supposed to be the enemy of the people...

zimmy
09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Im not going to continue the debate, not worth it. but one thing that amuses me is how you continue to call romney and the people at the fundraiser foolish/ idiots when they've made more $ in a year than you or I will make in a lifetime and have respectable, profitable extremely successful careers.

There are alot of wealthy people who are foolish; many are also idiots. I wasn't stating that the people at the fundraiser, in particular, were foolish. I assume that many of them were competent enough to know his statement was drastically innaccurate. Plenty of Republicans, Scott Brown for example, have pointed out he was wrong.

Piscator
09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm starting to get concerned about China. What are they going to do when our country goes Chapter 11.....

spence
09-20-2012, 08:25 PM

47% are welfare cheats?

-spence

spence
09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Im not going to continue the debate, not worth it.

Quitting because you can't win is a responsible thing, we won't hold this against you.

-spence

spence
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Wow, you're really on tonight aren't you?

-spence

spence
09-20-2012, 09:06 PM

On second thought I'd agree. Let's hear what a stalwart and highly respected conservative has to say...

Romney Needs a New CEO - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444165804578008702719456198.html)

But: The Romney campaign has to get turned around. This week I called it incompetent, but only because I was being polite. I really meant "rolling calamity."

We can only hope Peggy hasn't gone to the Dark Side.

-spence

scottw
09-21-2012, 12:09 AM
On second thought I'd agree. Let's hear what a stalwart and highly respected conservative has to say...

Romney Needs a New CEO - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444165804578008702719456198.html)

We can only hope Peggy hasn't gone to the Dark Side.

-spence

it's an opinion...and many feel that she has, right up there with David Brooks in the "stalwart and highly respected conservative" department

in fact, if you Google "Noonan stalwart and highly respected conservative"...you don't get anything :uhuh:

here's an interesting opinion of her article

Political Animal - More Comic Relief From Peggy Noonan (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2012_09/more_comic_relief_from_peggy_n039980.php)

pretty funny....

scottw
09-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Wow, you're really on tonight aren't you?

-spence

well, for about a week now....feelin' good, I know that bothers you considering the rough week you've been having :uhuh: don't worry and keep in mind, you are only as bad as your last post...unless you are Zimmy :biglaugh:

zimmy
09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Jimi Hendrix Manic Depression - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kf-h3PMupk)

RIJIMMY
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Quitting because you can't win is a responsible thing, we won't hold this against you.

-spence

just like the 47%, you'll never get it anyway

zimmy
09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
just like the 47%, you'll never get it anyway

I thought he was the 47% :rotf2: Numbers are a beech.