View Full Version : Recent sitings of Albies?

O.D. Mike
09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Has anyone found any recently? Will travel for albies....

Moses
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Like these? These and many others were taken last weekend.

Between Falmouth & Hyannis

Between Cape Poge & Wasque

O.D. Mike
09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Trolling or casting?

PRBuzz
09-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Last weekend is OLD news, I know where they were, too.

How about since the big blow of Tues night/Wed?

Thanks Moses and NICE fish!

likwid
09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Yes.

striperman36
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Gansett

Moses
09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Trolling or casting?

All casting. Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s, Kastmasters, Small needle fish.

And you are right Phil, not sure what that mid week weather did to fishing.

Pete_G
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
All is well since the blow. Albies were on a rampage again today. Angry and bigger with occasional bonito catches as well.

striperman36
09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
ssssssh, now buzz is going to be buzzin the entire shoreline.

likwid
09-21-2012, 04:14 PM

They're at the Regal Sword, nowhere near Westport or Cuttyhunk or anywhere between there and Montauk.

Yeah, thats it.
Regal Sword.

macojoe
09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I hve never caught one!! I was thinking of what to do this weekend, I might give this a try if I can find them.
How fast is a good troll I hear figure 8 fast??

PRBuzz
09-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Yup so keep outta my way!

Macojoe 6-8 is good!

striperman36
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Yup so keep outta my way!

Macojoe 6-8 is good!

Not goin tomorrow, you can have the whole freeway

ProfessorM
09-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Joe I would cast for them. Trolling won't give you the thrill hooking up to them casting will. Just look for pods or breaks and make a 1000 casts and you will get one.:)

macojoe
09-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys!! I can't go today and tomorrow looks a bit windy?? But we shall see?

Mr. Sandman
09-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Just look for a pile of boats doing dumb things and that is where they are

striperman36
09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Buzzter is loose!! Watch your 6's

macojoe
09-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Mr. Sandman Just look for a pile of boats doing dumb things and that is where they are

Great, I will fit right in!!

SUN
NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

Not to bad, I have never seen 2 to 3 footers in a 5 to 10 kt wind in the NW, last time it said that they changed in the morning to 1 foot or less.
But it says SW tonight, so might be bumpy in the am and get better as the day goes.

I hear you have to bleed well when caught like a A Tuna, how do you guys like to eat them??

ProfessorM
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
U don't eat them unless U are my friend who will eat anything. Heard a cat will turn it's nose up to them. Don't really know and don't care to find out. A sport fish for me. U will find them right up on shore so U can hang close and not have to be out in the middle of the sound and i prefer a northerly wind to help in seeing them and like Jim said just look for the nit wits acting like lunatics, can't miss em. . I just got an update and they are everywhere this morn. I'll be going out in my 14 foot tin tomorrow so go for it a little later in day if too rough, but go.

macojoe
09-22-2012, 09:38 AM
O baby! what time you going Paul? were from? what channel on radio? I will give you a shout, HEY!! LOL

ProfessorM
09-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey Joe I don't even have a compass. I am in a bare bones tin boat but great for albies. I luv it although I do get blown off water sometimes. I am using a basically dirt ramp down street from me. U go out of Green pond right? I'll send you a PM.

Swimmer
09-22-2012, 10:11 AM
U don't eat them unless U are my friend who will eat anything. Heard a cat will turn it's nose up to them. Don't really know and don't care to find out. A sport fish for me. U will find them right up on shore so U can hang close and not have to be out in the middle of the sound and i prefer a northerly wind to help in seeing them and like Jim said just look for the nit wits acting like lunatics, can't miss em. . I just got an update and they are everywhere this morn. I'll be going out in my 14 foot tin tomorrow so go for it a little later in day if too rough, but go.

I have had them smoke, with a delicate Grey Poupon musturd, and they are delicious. Almost as good as the bonito was smoked.

ProfessorM
09-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll take your word for that Yo Yo. I am not a real big fish eater.

bassballer
09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
they were picky friday night. Breaking all around the boat and could hook up with one. Than the blue mixed in and it was over. Bluefish every cast. The bait was so thick it was tough to hook up. they were fixed in on the bait.

ProfessorM
09-22-2012, 10:57 AM
so far where I am there are really only snapper blues but big pods of them. It is fun to watch boats rush over to the birds and fish breaking on top only to find out they are snappers, as I got fooled once too. Some boats will spend 20 minutes trying to catch them only to be dissapointed when they reel one in but if you really look at them U can see they don't act the same but are feeding on the same bait.

niko
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
we got into them pretty good today. dangles was on fire

bassballer
09-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I wanna see some action shots of that onslow bay.

mrstriper
09-22-2012, 06:16 PM
we(3 guys) put about 25+ in the boat today...
hey Paul, I need some metal!!:uhuh:

Mr. Sandman
09-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Want to have some fun??? Make an albie sandwich and give it to your buddy for lunch.

They make good shark and lobster bait. I have also chunked it for bass, blues etc. Nice bloody chunks of red meat.

They can often be difficult to catch at times but other times they chew on anything. When the bite is on, switch over to the lightest gear you have. (ultra light spin or fly) and hold on. They are a mini tuna and can really burn some drag esp some of the larger ones.

PRBuzz
09-23-2012, 06:35 AM
A couple shots of bringing them to the boat:

Underwateralbies_zps177b7267.mp4 video by PRBuzz - Photobucket (http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/PRBuzz/?action=view&current=Underwateralbies_zps177b7267.mp4)

Just an FYI we were out at the Mudhole and Fairway Buoy ESE of Block! Beautiful day.

likwid
09-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Not goin tomorrow, you can have the whole freeway

Just like to note, they blew both the CCB and BB/RIS forecasts.

CCB was a horror show.
BB/VS/RIS were flat as a board.

Sea Dangles
09-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Niko wanted to bring trolling gear for albies but that stayed at the dock. We had action all day with a good portion all to ourselves. Definitely a good shot for shore anglers to hook up.After landing a good amount I hooked one that dumped my spool on its way to BI. Still talking to myself.....

PRBuzz
09-23-2012, 08:29 AM
.... I hooked one that dumped my spool on its way to BI. Still talking to myself.....

We caught that one later in the day @Fairway buoy! :rotf2: O.D., I do believe that is the one I made the infamous quote: "if this is an albie, I'll eat it!"
Glad the camera was off!

SD: Thanks for the fishing line!

Got Stripers
09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Cast over feeding albies for 2 hours Saturday am, couldn't buy a hit, they are the balls to catch; but sooooo frustrating at times. I threw mixed bag and small 1/4oz and smaller stuff, even fly on a casting egg and nada. After my arm was about to fall off and I'd had enough of the armada of boats I switched to black sea bass and something easy. Nailed a monster I thought for sure was a big confused Tog (hooked a big one this spring on a jig in 70 feet) first drop, so diner was yummy.

bassballer
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Sunday a.m was tough. found some but couldnt hook up. Chased them until about 1 and called it quits. These fish will straight F&** with you

striperman36
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Just like to note, they blew both the CCB and BB/RIS forecasts.

CCB was a horror show.
BB/VS/RIS were flat as a board.

It sucked that's for sure, I should have gone it was FAC south.
Sunday was a mess from the get go after the storm

niko
09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
got into them again today. short trip but productive. snapped off my favorite metal at the end though - :wall:

striperman36
09-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I should have gone out before work, they are gettin mighty picky though

Pete F.
09-24-2012, 03:43 PM
We caught one this weekend at Cutty. My brother walked up from the beach with it and says look at this fish. I can never remember how to tell an albie from a bonito. Threw it in the cart, a friend had the latest On the water and we figured out it was an Albie. Left it in the cart, made dinner Steak and Striper and were sitting around drinking wine when the friends son showed up. We had told him we were going to cook it but since we had plenty of food and it was pretty questionable as far as being edible we forgot that thought. One drink led to another and someone filleted it. Garlic on one side, salt on the other and on the grill it went. I am not a big fishy tasting fish guy but it was good, I'd keep one with no questions. I think like lots of fish you need to bleed them, cool them and eat them that day.

macojoe
09-24-2012, 04:43 PM
I was never able to get out this weekend and I really wanted to!! I heard from another friend of mine the Albies were all over Chatham this week end and they caught a bunch of them. :fury::fury::fury:

MrHunters
09-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Want to have some fun??? Make an albie sandwich and give it to your buddy for lunch.

They make good shark and lobster bait. I have also chunked it for bass, blues etc. Nice bloody chunks of red meat.

They can often be difficult to catch at times but other times they chew on anything. When the bite is on, switch over to the lightest gear you have. (ultra light spin or fly) and hold on. They are a mini tuna and can really burn some drag esp some of the larger ones.

been doing that all week! so much fun!

PS
Still think your boat is the coolest in OB, walked by it a couple nights ago. :buds:

Mr. Sandman
09-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Mr. Hunters: Thanks. It's been lights out on the boat with small/medium albies but nothing huge. I had to get away from it for a couple days and do something different. Everyone is getting in on the action which is good. There seems to be a perpetual school of breaking fish east of the island...all day long.

MrHunters
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Mr. Hunters: Thanks. It's been lights out on the boat with small/medium albies but nothing huge. I had to get away from it for a couple days and do something different. Everyone is getting in on the action which is good. There seems to be a perpetual school of breaking fish east of the island...all day long.

We were in football fields of surface feeding albies that would have none of my offerings the other day. Talk about some kind of driving you crazy.... That seems to be the consensus... Average was 6lbs still amazing and on light tackle..really gets the blood flowing! I look forward to this time every year. Seems busier this year than in past on island.

Hookedagain
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Are these reachable from shore? I would love to have my son get into the action. Newport? The Cape? Where are they?

O.D. Mike
10-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Are these reachable from shore? I would love to have my son get into the action. Newport? The Cape? Where are they?

PM'd you

striperman36
10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
What PM I didn't get no PM

O.D. Mike
10-02-2012, 07:07 AM
What PM I didn't get no PM

sent PM

Got Stripers
10-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Anyone been out recently, the weather and personal stuff this past weekend kept me off the water, is the albie window still open? While I'd love another shot, after the frustrating skunk two weeks back, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better to grab some crabs and anchor up and relax. If they are still hanging around Cutty, I could do both or at least give the albies one more shot before making the switch.

fish4striper
10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
interested in info also in Westport to RI area, may do this Friday if I can't get offshore. PM's appreciated.

zacs
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't tell you what is going to happen on Friday, but yesterday or Sunday would have been a good opportunity... ;)

Tunabreath
10-02-2012, 07:49 PM
im heading out tomorrow supposed to a be NE wind, so im gonna look around the east side of the vineyard for albies. Am i wastin my time??