View Full Version : Bobber fishing vs. freelining

hq2
09-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Quick question. Was interested in drifting a couple of rips in my 'yak
next week. Was wondering what people think works better for stripers;
bait under a big bobber, or just freelining it?

Stripersurg
09-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't know if one is better over the other, they both work, and I use both methods. Large bobber/balloon keeps the bait relatively close to the surface, depending on how far up the line you put your bobber. Live lining, allows your bait more freedom of movement, like a dog on a leash, the more you give him, the more they take. Like I said both work. If I were to fish rips, I would live line, vs. using a bobber.

Ian
09-22-2012, 09:49 PM
What are you fishing on the end of the line? I prefer different methods for different baits...

Live lining I usually like the float idea... let's the bait swim around and keeps it out of trouble

Eels, no float, keep enough line out to the the eel NEAR the bottom, but not on it...

Chunks... no float either... similar approach to eels
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Cohenfishin
09-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Quick question. Was interested in drifting a couple of rips in my 'yak
next week. Was wondering what people think works better for stripers;
bait under a big bobber, or just freelining it?
It all depends how deep the rip you are fishing is in shallower rips free lining is the way to go in the deeper ones, three waying or a small egg sinker with boat control keeping your line vertical.

thefishingfreak
09-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Weight, and lots of it. Bass are lazy

MAKAI
09-23-2012, 02:03 PM
About ten years ago I was on the beach one night and the guy next to me got a high 50# fish. Bobber & eel, go figure.

hq2
09-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey, thanks for the responses. Can get two lines out, so I think
I'll try both and see what works.