View Full Version : Simms Rivershed Boots

pcfisherman
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I know this has probably have been covered. I am thinking about getting the Simms Rivershed boots and adding wearbars. Does anyone have any experience with these boots? Also did you add the 1/2 inch wearbars or 3/4 inch with washers? Any help would be great.

Thanks

PC

Ian
09-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Where are you seeing the different choices for wearbars? When I go to their site, they have boot lugs... and they are only one size

tlapinski
09-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Give the Simms Ocean Tek boots a look too. I just received a pair to demo from Simms and have been happy so far. They are supposed to be "better" in saltwater environments. I did have an issue with the Wearbars staying in the soles though. They stay fine in the heel but the ones on the outside under my toes popped out. Did a mix of Wearbars and sheetmetal screws. Spikes aside, after 4 trips in the salt (I know, still VERY early) they have been very comfortable. My first night in them was out at M, second trip was a 2+ mile back and forth walk to a spot.

numbskull
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Vibram soles are vibram soles. I use wearbars in the cheaper/lighter (Freestone?) Simms boot and have had some stud loss but not enough to be dis-satisfied. The ball of the foot and toe area is the problem. Supposedly studs hold better in felt and I plan to try option that the next time I buy boots.

Also, be careful with the higher end Simms Boots. I have the G4's and when they get wet they pick up a LOT of weight. The Freestones are bare minimum boots but weigh much less and offer enough support without a lot of padding.

spence
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Anyone know if the 3/4" will work with the Simms G3's in felt? Think I'm going to get some.

thanks,

-spence

ivanputski
09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
i would stick with the 1/2 inch for felt soles...

as a side note, i have noticed that wearbars stay put much better in felt than they do in rubber.

Redsoxticket
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
The wearbars the same in design as in the past. Going to order this afternoon and I read somewhere the screw diameter is wider
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Haus
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
B4 u purchase the wearbars look up INS Industries or, carbide traction products.

Ian
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
B4 u purchase the wearbars look up INS Industries or, carbide traction products.

Too late... they a suitable alternative?

Haus
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Too late... they a suitable alternative?

Better

Haus
09-25-2012, 12:37 AM
They are called Rock Grab'rz Boot Studs. Find them at carbidetrctionproducts.com, under boot studs.

afterhours
09-25-2012, 07:06 AM
3 seasons with the simms headwaters vibram with 1/2" wearbars. i love them. i retorque studs every 3 trips or so and have lost only one. when i do another pair i will add locite red or some simular product.

pcfisherman
09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Don - did you use washers with your wearbars?

Ian
09-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Don, when you bought the wearbars, where did you have the choice between the 1/2" or 3/4" thread? The site I have been directed to (over and over mind you) has only 1 choice...

Actually, I may have found it... they are just listed as tire studs when the threaded length is over 1/2"

Ian
09-25-2012, 08:52 AM
They are called Rock Grab'rz Boot Studs. Find them at carbidetrctionproducts.com, under boot studs.

They certainly demand a premium for their product!

I will say, those look a little more rugged than the wearbars.

Squibby17
09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I bought the rivershed boots a couple years back and I'm very satisfied. I've done most of my fishing in Rivers and Streams out west the past few years and only recently moved back to the east this summer. I can say in the streams they provided great footing and stability.

pcfisherman
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I saw the .75 wearbars under the track lug stud hyperlink

tlapinski
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Also, be careful with the higher end Simms Boots. I have the G4's and when they get wet they pick up a LOT of weight. The Freestones are bare minimum boots but weigh much less and offer enough support without a lot of padding.

I did not notice that the OceanTek's picked up any water. For a large boot, they are surprisingly light.

afterhours
09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
i use 1/2" wearbars without any washers. i bought them direct from wearbar and i remember them offering 1/2' as well as 3/4".

GattaFish
09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Toby. Those boots are roughly the same weight as the other Simms boots in the 50+ ounce range. The headwaters were about 38 oz which was why I went with then for swimming.

I did not notice that the OceanTek's picked up any water. For a large boot, they are surprisingly light.

puppet
09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Vibram soles are vibram soles. I use wearbars in the cheaper/lighter (Freestone?) Simms boot and have had some stud loss but not enough to be dis-satisfied. The ball of the foot and toe area is the problem. Supposedly studs hold better in felt and I plan to try option that the next time I buy boots.

I really like the freestones. Good to know that the felt holds the wearbars better than the vibram....it saves me for wasting time on
them. I have both the felt and a pair of the vibram.

I experimented with the felt freestones last fall and part of this
season. The first outing I lost 4 spike on each boot. Pretty much
followed the instructions on that thread that was bouncing
around....on the how to install wearbars....except instead of the
cabelas boots I was using and older pair of the freestones.

Went back to the drawing board. It seemed as if, once the felt was
getting wet it would soften up and eventually the wearbars would
work their way out. So...instead of epoxy...I started using gorilla
glue. Which is sort of convenient if there is any residual moisture in
the felt. I screw the suckers in...then back them out...fill the hole
with the gorilla glue then drive them back in and stop when they
stop making progress. I use 3/4" washers that have a hole the same
diameter as the screw...seemed to be much more stable. This setup
seemed to last the longest. The glue seems to make the felt a bit
more rigid...the felt sort of drinks it up...and the expanding nature
of the glue make everything snug up.

I have used this setup for about a dozen trips. I weigh 210. Some
of those wearbars have popped the carbides and have nearly
flattened out. Thats a bit of force..and they stayed screwed in. I
have had one or two loosen and go missing in the heals, but I have
replaced them with the long shank wearbars....hopefully those will
stay put.

Its not a perfect system by any means...not cheap either....but it
sure beats the sandals and if you have the money...I think its the
way to go.

Haus
09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
The rock graberz are the best on the market now, in my opinion. I used wearbars and graberz. Graberz much better. The screw/thread shank is much thicker which causes less movement and friction with the sole. The wearbars shank/threads were too thin and rusted, cusing them to become loose and unstable.

They certainly demand a premium for their product!

I will say, those look a little more rugged than the wearbars.

Ian
09-25-2012, 10:46 PM
The rock graberz are the best on the market now, in my opinion. I used wearbars and graberz. Graberz much better. The screw/thread shank is much thicker which causes less movement and friction with the sole. The wearbars shank/threads were too thin and rusted, cusing them to become loose and unstable.

at $79 + shipping for them they better... my Bean wading boots were more than that alone!

pbadad
09-26-2012, 05:39 AM
I used the 3/4" wearbars w/o issues. They penetrate deeper when used with a SS washer. The washer puts the stud petruding out it's full length on the recessed receptacles and adds some what more stability. W/o washers with the 3/4" you may have to grind the tip slightly to prevent the point from going through.

Haus
09-26-2012, 01:29 PM
LoL! They are the best. I laugh in the face of any bubble weed or slippery slanted rock in my path!

numbskull
09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I really like the freestones. Good to know that the felt holds the wearbars better than the vibram....it saves me for wasting time on
them. I have both the felt and a pair of the vibram.

I experimented with the felt freestones last fall and part of this
season. The first outing I lost 4 spike on each boot. Pretty much
followed the instructions on that thread that was bouncing
around....on the how to install wearbars....except instead of the
cabelas boots I was using and older pair of the freestones.

Went back to the drawing board. It seemed as if, once the felt was
getting wet it would soften up and eventually the wearbars would
work their way out. So...instead of epoxy...I started using gorilla
glue. Which is sort of convenient if there is any residual moisture in
the felt. I screw the suckers in...then back them out...fill the hole
with the gorilla glue then drive them back in and stop when they
stop making progress. I use 3/4" washers that have a hole the same
diameter as the screw...seemed to be much more stable. This setup
seemed to last the longest. The glue seems to make the felt a bit
more rigid...the felt sort of drinks it up...and the expanding nature
of the glue make everything snug up.

I have used this setup for about a dozen trips. I weigh 210. Some
of those wearbars have popped the carbides and have nearly
flattened out. Thats a bit of force..and they stayed screwed in. I
have had one or two loosen and go missing in the heals, but I have
replaced them with the long shank wearbars....hopefully those will
stay put.

Its not a perfect system by any means...not cheap either....but it
sure beats the sandals and if you have the money...I think its the
way to go.

Hello and welcome

Striper_Haven_03
09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
The Simms Freestone is the way too go as I am on my second pair. The first pair lasted 4 years and actually still good but had to get a smaller size for the wetsuit vs waders. The new Freestone I just got seems to be built better for ocean/ rock fishing with new rubber coating on the toe-box area vs just leather on the old style which gets chewed up on fishing the roclks . As far as spikes...I looked at wear-bars but found this site called gripstud.com and the customer service was excellent. Although they make studs mostly for dirtbikes etc they have had a bunch of fisherman call and order their studs for wading boots. I choose the #1500 stud and I tell you the traction is great,much,much better than my old korkers and simms hardbites. Kinda wish I went with the #1800 which are a little longer for the bubble-weed etc,but the #1500 are pretty good and Im happy with the purchase. Hope this helps...heres the link to gripstuds. $100 for 100 of them. If anyone needs any I can sell 50 as I dont need this many.

http://www.gripstuds.com/1500_Tire_Stud.php