View Full Version : MA car insurance

JackK
09-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Need to finally switch my tags to MA and become a m@sshole. Any suggestions on a good auto insurance company? Or any nightmare stories, companies to avoid?

Thanks

Nebe
09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Talk to Rob Taylor ;)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete_G
09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
They all suck. Total scam industry. Buy a bicycle or something. $%&^&*(_()&*.

Seriously I have no idea. I'm never owning a nice car again. Too financially risky.

Yeah, I'm kind of bitter. To that end, NOT impressed with Geico. Never needed insurance before, finally did in an accident that was 100% the other party's fault, and it has been quite the nightmare.

Various battles with the adjusters to get all the work done that they should have written up in the first place (makes me wonder WHY they didn't write it up...), they won't fix the A/C that failed because of the accident because it can't be 100% proven the accident caused the failure (I'm sure the massive front end collision had nothing to do with it), the numbers as it relates to what would total the vehicle kept moving, they valued the car HIGHER then what it normally would be worth because it was in such good condition which helped keep it from being totaled, the list goes on much longer then that but I don't have all day to list all the details.

My car is now worth half what it was if the sampling of my attempted trade in attempts is any indication due to the extent of the frame damage and I have a $1500 repair bill for my A/C. This was in RI, but take it for what it's worth. Quite heated about the whole ordeal...

JackK
09-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Not sure if I trust the bobcat on that one. If I needed to file a claim, he'd likely be out fishing :smash:

I have heard that Geico is atrocious. Spends all their money on advertising. I've previously had Allstate, which was OK. But if there's a better one I'm all ears.

chefchris401
09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
This is in RI, but here's my findings.

Progressive, good rates, was great when I slammed a deer with my truck, no hassle on the fixes, everything was handled great.

Allstate. Great company, but rates would raise every 6 months due to state increases. I stopped going with them after they refused to lower my rates after getting other quotes.

Back to progressive now, no issues.

I went thru AAA and got a sick deal and I added a renters policy which was twice the value of all states and cheaper.

striperman36
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
All my insurance is through Amica. I've had several circumstances where they've just 'wrote the check' no issues. Car and House.

The tree through the house roof was a little sick but they paid the entire claim without bitching

fishbones
09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
All my insurance is through Amica. I've had several circumstances where they've just 'wrote the check' no issues. Car and House.

The tree through the house roof was a little sick but they paid the entire claim without bitching

I used to have Amica and cannot say enough good things about them. I had my house, car and boat insurance with them when I lived in RI and wouldn't have switched except we moved back to MA. Our good family friend is an agent who doesn't do business in RI but hooked us up in MA.

tysdad115
09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
I deal with insurance companies frequently and just had a surprising instance with Arbella. A customer of mine was in a front end collision in 2/12, noticed in July it was using coolant,of course it was accident related..anyways it needed cylinder heads, Arbella sent out an adjuster. They looked at it determined it was covered..I was amazed. Replacing cylinder heads would have been approx $3500.00 , figured Arbella would depreciate it down to near 0 coverage, I spoke with the claims adjuster Arbella offers a "direct replacement" clause which the customer had (they said it was cheap to add) and the Insurance Co paid the entire bill, no questions asked. I was amazed, I'm looking into changing my policies over in March .

likwid
09-27-2012, 06:08 AM
They all suck. Total scam industry. Buy a bicycle or something. $%&^&*(_()&*.

Seriously I have no idea. I'm never owning a nice car again. Too financially risky.

Yeah, I'm kind of bitter. To that end, NOT impressed with Geico. Never needed insurance before, finally did in an accident that was 100% the other party's fault, and it has been quite the nightmare.

Various battles with the adjusters to get all the work done that they should have written up in the first place (makes me wonder WHY they didn't write it up...), they won't fix the A/C that failed because of the accident because it can't be 100% proven the accident caused the failure (I'm sure the massive front end collision had nothing to do with it), the numbers as it relates to what would total the vehicle kept moving, they valued the car HIGHER then what it normally would be worth because it was in such good condition which helped keep it from being totaled, the list goes on much longer then that but I don't have all day to list all the details.

My car is now worth half what it was if the sampling of my attempted trade in attempts is any indication due to the extent of the frame damage and I have a $1500 repair bill for my A/C. This was in RI, but take it for what it's worth. Quite heated about the whole ordeal...

Jesus dude, talk to H next time we're down. She does ins for a living.

Allstate is decent here in MA.
Used to have Commerce for years but Allstate was cheaper.

Raven
09-27-2012, 06:48 AM
i second the Allstate
phone 401-765-5000

very pleasant to deal with
talk to iliana olea (sweet)
their price beat everyone elses
bend over backwards service

chrisjoe13
09-27-2012, 07:57 AM
If you (or a family member) were ever in the military, try USAA.

Cheap and good.

Jenn
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Arbella....

GregW
10-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Cheap and good.

Hands down the best insurance company of all time.
They go way above and beyond with their customer service. I'm amazed at how good they are.
I had commerce before and I would never use them again.

JamesJet
10-02-2012, 07:59 AM
My family and I have always used Amica (from back when you needed to be referenced in), nothing but great things to say. Now that I am married my wife is a USAA member from her dad's service and they are amazing as well. Their buying power non negotiation car prices are worth it for a year. I walked into a dealer talked for a while and stated the price and why. He immediately wisked me to the managers office and I got my vehicle at a VERY good price.

The Dad Fisherman
10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Don't forget about the $250 surcharge for being from Philly.....thats how we weed out the un-desirables :hihi:

Slick Moedee
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13

Cheap and good.
Hands down the best insurance company of all time.
They go way above and beyond with their customer service. I'm amazed at how good they are.
I had commerce before and I would never use them again.

OLD GOAT
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Stay away from Travelers. They are more interested in there agents than in the paying customer.
Had insurance on a vehicle (stamped registration) and when I had a problem come to find out I wasn't insured.
I guess the agent had no errors and omissions policyandI have never heard from him.

likwid
10-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Stay away from Travelers. They are more interested in there agents than in the paying customer.
Had insurance on a vehicle (stamped registration) and when I had a problem come to find out I wasn't insured.
I guess the agent had no errors and omissions policyandI have never heard from him.

Thats the agent's fault, not Travelers.
They're responsible with getting all info to Travelers, which they clearly did not.

I don't deal with my agency with my marine insurance, only direct.

Mike P
10-03-2012, 10:31 AM
My agent keeps switching us between Safety and Arbella, depending on which company offers the better rates at renewal. No problems with either.

Of course, we haven't had to make a claim. ;)