View Full Version : Need some help - Triton w/ E-Tec

RIJIMMY
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Guys,
Im a fisherman, not a boater and have very little knowledge or capacity to learn too much about boats. I came across the following boat and its really the size and style I am looking for. It also has a lot of add-ons I need to fish around here. I have no idea if the envinrude v-tecs are good engines. The motor had the pwerhead replaced? WTF, that seems odd for a 5 yr old motor?
I believe tritons are good boats and I've read good reviews. This guy took great care of the boat and below are a few questions I asked him and his responses
Can you give me some feedback on this?

Have you had the motor compression checked?
Yes I had Acies Marine my local Evinrude service shop do a complete inspection of the motor including a compression check a week ago. I did it for a buyer that could had credit issues and could not get the financing so I have relisted it.- Do you have motor service records?
I have some receipts for work that has been done to the motor. All work has been performed by Acies Marine and done under warranty, other than the 3 year or 300 hour service. The motor currently has a new powerhead with about 20 hours on it which has a warranty until 12/12/12. I have attached the print out from the motors ECU giving the history along with the inspection receipt from Acies Marine.
- How many batteries? Onboard charger?
There are (4) batteries with a 3 bank onboard charger- Trolling motor seems light, is it enough power to move this boat?
The trolling motor does a great job moving the boat. I have seen it move 4 mph on the gps.

here is the listing -
Triton 220 LTS Bay Boat w/ 250 Etec (http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3260679598.html)

Fly Rod
10-03-2012, 09:09 AM
from my experience with a blown engine and then a new powerhead if they do not know why it blew regardless of how much they replaced it will most likely blow again...prior to buying a boat a few years ago the previous owner blew the powerhead...he had it fixed under warrenty...I bought the boat and motor and 25 hours of running time it blew...Bombardier gave me a brand new powerhead no charge....asked my mechanic what happened he did not know...I traded it for a new motor

Regardless if new powerhead they also use the parts off the old engine....buyer beware

the E-techs R good engines

Piscator
10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
E-Tec’s are supposed to be great engines. If he had compression checks, ask to see the printed results (which it looks like you already did).

If you are serious about the boat, have him take you for a ride in it, if you still like it, negotiate a price and give a deposit pending a boat survey. Then get it surveyed by a professional accredited boat surveyor. If any problems come up, you can decide to back out or if small issue you can negotiate price from there.

Listed below is a link to find an accredited boat surveyor in your area. Should be about $500 for that size boat but the best insurance you can buy and you get like a 30 page document about the boat. Outboard check is typically separate and is about $100.

Membership Roster for Texas (http://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regions/texas.html)

RIJIMMY
10-03-2012, 09:27 AM
E-Tec’s are supposed to be great engines. If he had compression checks, ask to see the printed results (which it looks like you already did).

If you are serious about the boat, have him take you for a ride in it, if you still like it, negotiate a price and give a deposit pending a boat survey. Then get it surveyed by a professional accredited boat surveyor. If any problems come up, you can decide to back out or if small issue you can negotiate price from there.

Listed below is a link to find an accredited boat surveyor in your area. Should be about $500 for that size boat but the best insurance you can buy and you get like a 30 page document about the boat. Outboard check is typically separate and is about $100.

Membership Roster for Texas (http://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regions/texas.html)

he agreed to provide a sea trial. Im mostly worried about the motor. I had my previous boat for 6 yrs with an pre-etec evinrude and other than a water pump and maintenance, I never put a dime into it.

piemma
10-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Jim:
call Jim White. he has the same boat and motor. I believe he blew a powerhead on his the first time he used it.

here's his number:

White Ghost Guide Service
401-828-9465

Clammer
10-03-2012, 10:58 AM
1ST HOUR HE USED IT :smash:

&&& he just had it out again for service .

Denis on the site has one & loves his //CK with him ><><

keeperreaper
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Jimmy I have an ETEC and love it. Definitely get it surveyed after a sea trial as stated above. I would be leery of a blown powerhead without a reason why it blew. Buyer Beware.

Piscator
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Be leery of anything that blows the first time out :)

thefishingfreak
10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Before you sea trial it tell him you intend to run it at wot for no less than 60 seconds.
If he says "go right ahead" he has full confidence in the motor. If he refuses, walk away
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

keeperreaper
10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Before you sea trial it tell him you intend to run it at wot for no less than 60 seconds.
If he says "go right ahead" he has full confidence in the motor. If he refuses, walk away

Thats sound advice.

WESTPORTMAFIA
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
34k? If you are spending that kind of dough, find a boat broker that someone here knows. If that's your budget you have alot of options for a boat that size. Get a pro involved. Etecs are great motors.

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
34k? If you are spending that kind of dough, find a boat broker that someone here knows. If that's your budget you have alot of options for a boat that size. Get a pro involved. Etecs are great motors.

this is in TX and there are not a lot of options for bay boats that size. New are running 40-50k+. I paid much less 7 years ago for my hydrasport. You should see the pieces of shat for 15-20K, I wouldnt even set foot in them. You cant touch a bass boat @ 20 ft for under 25K that is less than 5 yrs old. These boats are pricey. Add on the 250 etec and its a lot of $$.

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM

ok ....but whats WOT????

Piscator
10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Wide Open Throttle

As high RPM's as you can go

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 09:25 AM
got it.

The powerhead failed due to an injector issue which cut off oil to one of the cylinders.

piemma
10-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Jim you can buy the same boat in Florida for $20K less. It'll cost you $2K to ship it. Check into boats in FL.

fishsmith
10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Jim you can buy the same boat in Florida for $20K less. It'll cost you $2K to ship it. Check into boats in FL.

x2

.... unless you struck oil out there

fishbones
10-04-2012, 09:47 AM

And it gives you an excuse to go see some chicks in bikini's when you go to look at boats.

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 10:28 AM

been looking paul - they're all same price

Got Stripers
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^& I'lll sell you my McKee 196CC for $25K, it's got all that crap, plus t-top, canvas, new garmin 740 with radar, new Minn Kota 36V Riptide 101# thrust with Ipilot and I'll even deliver Thanksgiving week for some fishing:). No Etec, just a very smooth reliable Suzuki 140 4-stroke.

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
thanks but I am in TX
I need a boat that will funciton as a freshwater bass boat, casting platforms, lazy a$$ seats in the bow and rear, has a shallow draft AND can operate in the bays in saltwater. These bay boats seem to fit the bill. They all seem to be pretty pricey. I have been all over the web and the hull truth. They're very popular in the south.
A new sea hunt with 150K will run 37k to start and then add in electronics, trolling, etc. I will be in the 40s. I'd like to get something around 25 but there arent many options.

Piscator
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm sure as we move into Nov & Dec you will see more pop up. Always seems to happen......coming up to the best time time to buy

RIJIMMY
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm sure as we move into Nov & Dec you will see more pop up. Always seems to happen......coming up to the best time time to buy

hope so, remember fishing is year round here

Piscator
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
hope so, remember fishing is year round here

It is to some here too :)

zacs
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
this looks real nice. In KY.
For Sale: 2010 Skeeter ZX22V bayboat--Less than 55 Hours--Fresh Water Only - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/450522-sale-2010-skeeter-zx22v-bayboat-less-than-55-hours-fresh-water-only.html)

RIJIMMY
10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
nice, but more $$ than I want to spend.
I am in discussions with a guy on a 24' triton, 225 Optimax. Boat is 2007 and loaded. Im worried 24' may be too much boat for trailering all the time. I may go see thsi weekend,

RIJIMMY
10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
nice, but more $$ than I want to spend.
I am in discussions with a guy on a 24' triton, 225 Optimax. Boat is 2007 and loaded. Im worried 24' may be too much boat for trailering all the time. I may go see thsi weekend,

2007, Merc Optimax 225. Powerpole, garmin, minn kota, 5 brand new batteries, pole platform,
Great price and boat looks beautiful

piemma
10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
2007, Merc Optimax 225. Powerpole, garmin, minn kota, 5 brand new batteries, pole platform,
Great price and boat looks beautiful

Did you buy this boat????