View Full Version : Chuck Tourney - ON

JohnR
10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Chuck is On - Good Luck Folks :btu:

numbskull
10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Ha! Beat this monster you liver bellies! And if 12" bluefish counted I'd be smoking ya all. :rude:

fishbones
10-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Nice start, George. Did you catch that at night on a pencil popper or is the photo just dark?

Sgt Striper
10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Way to go George!!

Hardcore
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
WTG! Nice reel
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice start, George. Did you catch that at night on a pencil popper or is the photo just dark?

6:30 am. Photo is just dark...........so the wrinkled up ruler doesn't show too much. :uhuh:

Chunkah
10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I thought we started 6:00 pm 10/4?

FinS 32
10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
i think it was 6am, chris

Chunkah
10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I thought so too but it says this is my email containing the tag....

RULES:
1. The tournament will run from 6 p.m. Thursday (October 4th) to 12 p.m. Sunday (October 7th

Honestly I didn't join this to win, just to help a good cause, but we should all be fishing the same hours no?

ProfessorM
10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I forgot my camera this morn or i'd have you by an inch:biglaugh:

Sgt Striper
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I forgot my camera this morn or i'd have you by an inch:biglaugh:

Good one!! :rotf2:

ProfessorM
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I thought so too but it says this is my email containing the tag....

RULES:
1. The tournament will run from 6 p.m. Thursday (October 4th) to 12 p.m. Sunday (October 7th

Honestly I didn't join this to win, just to help a good cause, but we should all be fishing the same hours no?

Dave must have mis typed. It started this morning. go get em.

Canalman
10-05-2012, 02:17 AM
I posted the actual time a few times... the tourney started yesterday morning at 6 AM

Zeno
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Go numbskull..

piemma
10-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Had one real good fish last night. The problem was, due to where I was, by the time I got setup and took a picture, the fish would have been dead. Doesn't matter as this is for Chuck not for the prizes. If it were, I wouldn't have paid $60 for Roberts Ranger the other night:rotf2:

Canalman
10-05-2012, 03:31 PM
You gotta keep all the stuff on you. It doesn't have to be an Ansel Adams photo, set it up quick shoot the shot, back in the drink. :)

Canalman
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
STANDINGS AS OF 6 PM FRIDAY...

Josh Clogston with his impressive score of 129" (41" tiebreaker)
Dave Anderson with 105"
Greg McNamara with 71"
John Acompora with 65"
George Grisman with 34"

CENTURY BIG FISH: 44" Josh Clogston

DZ's NEEDLEFISH PRIZE: Vacant

RELEASE PHOTO: Vacant

Tonight should be a big night, despite the bright moon, we have a front approaching and everyone is off work. Plan to get out early in the night and see if you can score some good fish before the moon gets high in the sky. Calm seas should make tonight a good eeling or needling night. The surf report for tomorrow night looks like rough seas and wind... good for offsetting the moon but making eeling tough. Good luck everyone!

ProfessorM
10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Come on. Josh just photoed the same fish 4 times.:) Crap looks like I'll be bring up the rear as usual in any tournaments I ever enter.

Slipknot
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
DZ's NEEDLEFISH PRIZE: Vacant

and everyone is off work.

hopefully I can fill that vacancy

I wish I was not working, no rest for the weary, I'll just fish instead of sleep. I try not to complain about having work :hidin:

don't worry Paul, you still have a chance at second place, bring a camera with you

scottw
10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
last night Lt.Chris Nelson USN 35"

hoping for big upgrades tonite

Canalman
10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
last night Lt.Chris Nelson USN 35"

hoping for big upgrades tonite

And Numbskull falls off the charts!

Nice release pic too!!

numbskull
10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
May fire light up your eels like an alien's #^&#^&#^&#^&
May mung clog your guides like a 2 year old's snot
May the moon burn your neck like the august sun
May weeds fill the canal like plaque on Sauerkraut's teeth
May tow trucks meet you at your spots with a smirk.
May the wind blow harder than gas from Slip's butt

Just sayin..........cause I got my three (and I need all the help I can get)

34" both with tape tight. That gives me a 33, 34 and 34 for a grand total of 101".
Don't trip on that bar.

numbskull
10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
This one ate a purple danny.

JohnR
10-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Nice - I'll be selling popcorn instead of fishing (again) so come down to Salks in NK from 8-11 next couple days :wall:

piemma
10-06-2012, 05:37 AM
You gotta keep all the stuff on you. It doesn't have to be an Ansel Adams photo, set it up quick shoot the shot, back in the drink. :)

Yeah Dave. Realized I screwed up after I hooked up. Will give it hell tonight. Tape, tag and camera will be in a waterproof bag inside my waders.

numbskull
10-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Come on. Josh just photoed the same fish 4 times.:)

More impressive are the times. A 40+ inch fish every 7-10 minutes! Hell, it takes me 7-10 minutes just to stand up straight again after unhooking one.

Also great is the progression of the the Chuck paper. If he had gotten a 50" after those four he'd not been able to enter it.

Clogston29
10-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Fished all night, had all my fish in 1:15 of it. Every cast for 1 hour, smallest 38". Worked up a sweat. Had a backup tag.

In jersey now for wedding so that's it for me.

scottw
10-06-2012, 07:34 AM
I respectfully submit this for the DZ Needlefish Prize if no bass happen to be caught on Needlefish:)

Nice job George! I knew that you wouldn't let an eel keep you out of the running for long....think I found all of your small bluefish last night

numbskull
10-06-2012, 08:30 AM
I like the message on the needle.

For the record, my second fish was on one of Tagger's needles. Only 34".

Sadly, I dropped a slightly better fish on a Habs needle clone. Loosened my drag and pussied around landing it because I sorely wanted to enter a fish on something to do with Habs. Bumped it into a rock beaching it and off she went.

Sauerkraut also dropped a serious fish on a needle (his cheapass hook straightened) that likely would have rivaled the largest Josh posted so they were there to be had on plugs until the moon got too high.

piemma
10-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Fished all night, had all my fish in 1:15 of it. Every cast for 1 hour, smallest 38". Worked up a sweat. Had a backup tag.

In jersey now for wedding so that's it for me.

Thank God!! Now us scrubs have a chance.

Canalman
10-07-2012, 06:29 AM
I ran a poll on the Facebook page yesterday and people voted to extend the tournament until tomorrow at 6 p.m. so we have another night/day to give it hell so... give it hell!

Canalman
10-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Standings as of 7:40 a.m. Sunday

Josh Clogston with 129" (41" tiebreaker)
Sean Kearney with 111” (36” tiebreaker)
Greg McNamara with 108"
Dan Schiappa with 108”
Dave Anderson with 105"

Century Big Fish: Matt Sheridan 46"

DZ Needle Prize: George Christman 34"

Release Photo: We have a few submissions now, vote will take place tomorrow.

scottw
10-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Lt Chris Nelson added another nice fish last night on a Left Hook Eelie which is quickly becoming his favorite plug, he's relatively new to surfcasting for bass in this area so this was also a personal best....42"..Congrats Chris!

scottw
10-07-2012, 06:53 AM
had to work very hard for fish, hope this weather coming in tonight turns it around a bit, thanks for extending Dave, having an absolute blast! hope this is a big winner for Chuck...

Canalman
10-07-2012, 07:02 AM
That's a nice looking fish! And a very nice release photo!

Canalman
10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
PRIZE DETAILS!!!
Something else may be added last minute, but here is the breakdown of the loot. A little more incentive to fish harder tonight--drool away! :drool:

1st Place:
$100 Gift Certificate to The Edge
3.25 oz Afterhours Pencil
RM Smith Giant Swimmer
Small Guppy Pencil
Lemire Surfster
Big Fish Prey Swimmer
Surf Asylum “Beefed Up” Lefty Swimmer
TDF Small Pikie
Unknown Jointed Needlefish
Book: The Hunt for Big Stripers By Zeno Hromin
Six Month Subscription to The Fisherman Magazine

2nd Place:
$50 Gift Certificate to The Edge
Cyclone Swimmer
RM Smith Small Jointed Swimmer
LeftHook Pilgrim Pencil
Lemire GooGoo
SeaView Small Surfster
Large Guppy Pencil
BigFish Prey Swimmer
Chef Chris Danny
Surf Asylum Atom Jr (Tiny Tog)
Unknown Jointed Needlefish
Book: The Art of Surfcasting With Lures By Zeno Hromin

3rd Place:
RM Smith Three Piece Mackerel Swimmer
J.Stirpe Bunker Swimmer
Paul Moriarty Flaptail
Large Guppy Pencil
Left Hook Pilgrim Pencil
Mackerel Super Strike Zig Zag Darter
Ghostescent CC Tackle Magic Swimmer
Troublemaker Small Danny
BigFish Prey Swimmer
ChefChris Scaled Danny
Surf Asylum Atom Jr (Beeswax)
Unknown Small Needle
Book: Fishing the Bucktail by John Skinner

4th Place:
RM Smith Scaled Sea Strider
Afterhours Floating Needle
Paul Moriarty Small Pencil
J. Stirpe Large Swimmer
Mackerel CC Tackle Magic Swimmer
Lemire Pencil Popper
Sea View Big Mouth Popper
Surf Asylum Atom Jr (Salamander)
Tattoo Small Darter
ChefChris Tiger Maple Needle
Unknown Small Needle
Book: Surfcaster by Doc Muller

5th Place:
RM Smith Medium Swimmer
3.25 oz Afterhours Pencil
BC Small Danny
Guppy Small Pencil
BigFish Doubleshot Pencil
Lemire Sea Fly
Lemire Calamari Popper
ChefChris Scaled A40
Unknown Small Pencil Popper
SB 3 oz Darter
Book: Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night

Crafty Angler
10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Looks like there are some nice contenders here - good job, men! Can't wait to see the final results.

I'd like to thank Dave (Canalman) and JohnR for putting the Tourney together, all who contributed to the prizes and all those who entered.

Thanks too for all the well wishes - just started up on chemo again last week, which is an *ss-kicker but keeps everything going in the right direction.

I can't thank you all enough for everything you've done, it's greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

BigFish
10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Best to you Chuck...feel better!:)

ProfessorM
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Godspeed to you Chuck

scottw
10-08-2012, 01:07 AM
God Bless You Chuck!
hope this all gives you some comfort and healthy distraction from what you are dealing with...

Chris Nelson added a fish tonight, not as big as last night but helps get him up in the standings 30"....total 107" I think...

scottw
10-08-2012, 01:18 AM
I finally got a couple 34" and 38"

piemma
10-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Chuck!! Good seeing you last week. Keep the faith man. You'll get through it.

scottw
10-08-2012, 01:37 AM
some c&r pics

chrisjoe13
10-08-2012, 06:32 AM
^^^^
Nice release, (admit it, you wanted to swim down with her..)
Hopefully the release photo vote will take place here and not the other site that many don't (won't) belong to.

ProfessorM
10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
some c&r pics

you should win catching those fish with your hands.:uhuh: Extreme noodling.

smk379
10-08-2012, 08:27 AM
God bless Chuck, best wishes.

- Sean Kearney

smk379
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Very interested to see the standings as of now, I'm gonna be checking my phone every 20 minutes for an update lol. Went to sleep early last night like an idiot, which ill probably end up regretting. Best of luck to all, I'm new to this site, but I'm sure some recognize me from others. I had fun with the tourny and hope you all did too!

JohnR
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Looks like there are some nice contenders here - good job, men! Can't wait to see the final results.

I'd like to thank Dave (Canalman) and JohnR for putting the Tourney together, all who contributed to the prizes and all those who entered.

Thanks too for all the well wishes - just started up on chemo again last week, which is an *ss-kicker but keeps everything going in the right direction.

I can't thank you all enough for everything you've done, it's greatly appreciated.

Just work on you Chuck and do the best you can do. And thank Dave - he did 90% of the work :btu:

Very interested to see the standings as of now, I'm gonna be checking my phone every 20 minutes for an update lol. Went to sleep early last night like an idiot, which ill probably end up regretting. Best of luck to all, I'm new to this site, but I'm sure some recognize me from others. I had fun with the tourny and hope you all did too!

Welcome to S-B :btu:

Canalman
10-08-2012, 08:52 AM
STANDINGS AS OF 9:50 A.M.

Sean Kearney with 117” (36” tiebreaker)
Greg McNamara with 108" (33” tiebreaker)
Dan Schiappa with 108”
Dave Anderson with 105"

Tourney closes at 6 p.m. - photos must be submitted by 8. Less than 12 hours until we know.

Clogston29
10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
hurting at work today. few decent fish last night, but no upgrades. would have been happy in bed if tournament wasn't extended. drove 7 hours back from a wedding then headed out. 2 hours sleep. not at my most productive right now.

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
STANDINGS AS OF 11:15 A.M.

Dan Schiappa with 108”
Chris Nelson with 107"

Tourney closes at 6 p.m. - photos must be submitted by 8. Less than 12 hours until we know.

Knocked out! I might have to go see if I can pencil up a keeper now! :rolleyes:

scottw
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM

you should, Chris just sent me a note saying he's headed out right after he marches in the Columbus Day parade to try to solidify the spot, his wife will never forgive me after this weekend:uhuh: this is tremendous fun!

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
It has been a lot of fun... I LOVE fishing tournaments, always have. And running one was a handful but still a good time.

numbskull
10-08-2012, 10:34 AM
STANDINGS AS OF 11:15 A.M.

Thank God! It was killing me that you were beating me by 4" and I was sure I could get a fish to make that up............but I underestimated my general s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&ess and couldn't.

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
you should, Chris just sent me a note saying he's headed out right after he marches in the Columbus Day parade to try to solidify the spot, his wife will never forgive me after this weekend:uhuh: this is tremendous fun!

The reason I might not go out and try for one more fish.. other than the fact that after Thursday I sucked... is my wife... she keeps looking at me like this: :realmad: and tossing in some of this :cens: which has me looking like this :hidin:

Honeydo here I come... :crying:

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank God! It was killing me that you were beating me by 4" and I was sure I could get a fish to make that up............but I underestimated my general s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&ess and couldn't.

I like you George :fury: :love:

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Don't mention it Chuck, I hate to think of people suffering through tough times, I knew everyone wanted to help and I had the resources to make something like this happen... no thanks necessary.

Take a look at what you've got here Chuck, people from all over the east coast cared enough to try and help you out--that says a lot about who you are. There's a lot of weird stuff going on in this country--but quite obviously it's the people running, or trying to run, it (donkey OR elephant)... because the people living normal lives still care about the common man.

I'm pulling for you Chuck as we all are. Get better my friend!

-Dave

ProfessorM
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
My personal contest thoughts. I threw in the towel after Sat nite after fishing with Slip and Biteme, especially after that front came threw with wind and rain. Sat nite = small fish, cut casting finger on braid first cast, fish attached to hook attached to waders =hole in waders. Boot filled with water by nites end, too short to get out on bar without the dike leaking, then hurt knee. After 6 straight days of fishing the canal, got some real good ones but too early for contest, and then working late every day after I have come to the conclusion that I am too old and too tired to keep going.:uhuh: Next time I do a contest I will pace myself but it was way too hard not to fish early last week with all the great fishing. Sunday morn I wimped out as it was too cold to put on wet waders to fish so I went looking for Albies in boat, found tons, fussy bastards, got zilch. Numbskull invited me last nite as I drove home from Cape but I was too tired to do the marathon he was looking at. I hope he got the big one, but it sounds like U took Alan and he jinxed you .
I had a blast, although it might not have sounded like it:), but to me it was all about the support of one of our fellow SB people, Chuck. I'm not much of a contest guy unless for a good cause which this was. Thanks to Dave and John for the time invested and pulling this off and good luck Chuck on your journey and I hope and pray you succeed with this hurdle in your life. P.

rapidfflow0
10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
You think at some point in the last 3 days I'd have actually printed out the tournament card instead of borrowing my buddies for the one fish I bothered to measure and enter. Maybe it'll still hold for big fish rights but can't help thinking I coulda been a contender

redcrbbr
10-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Didn't catch #^&#^&#^&#^&, so i took a picture of this stick. Chuck your a good man and friend, I wish you all the luck and beat this being sick.

striperman36
10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Didn't catch #^&#^&#^&#^&, so i took a picture of this stick. Chuck your a good man and friend, I wish you all the luck and beat this being sick.

I've caught that stick before.

Canalman
10-08-2012, 12:09 PM
STANDINGS AS OF 1:07 PM

Joe Mulvey with 109" (34" tiebreaker)
Dan Schiappa with 108”

Tourney closes at 6 p.m. - photos must be submitted by 8. Less than 7 hours until we know.

Matt D
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Put in 14 straight hours at the big river without a photo worthy specimen to show for it. Congrats to the leaders!

Canalman
10-08-2012, 10:20 PM
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!
(hit play before reading)
Europe - The Final Countdown - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw)
And the standings do not change!

Joe Mulvey with 109" (34" tiebreaker)
Dan Schiappa with 108”

Century Big Fish Award: Matt Sheridan 46 inches

DZ's Needlefish Award: George "Numbskull" Christman 34"

Release Photo Prize: Voting will take place tomorrow

Random Raffle Drawing: Selection will take place tomorrow

Congrats to the anglers! I will be in touch.

Thanks to everyone who donated plugs, books, time or money! I really enjoyed running this thing and fishing it and I hope you all enjoyed it too.

Thanks again everyone!
GET WELL SOON CHUCK!!
-Dave

numbskull
10-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Congrats to the winners.
Next year let's rent a bus and go visit Josh instead.

It is interesting and telling how hard it was to catch 3 quality fish on demand, especially if your name is Paul.

Fascinating also how important barometric pressure is. Fri pm when it fell was good for a lot of people, Sun pm when rising standings didn't change.

Thanks to Dave for organizing it and for the sponsors who supported it.
Thanks particularly to DZ who is going to give me a book so I can get thin like him.

Get well Crafty.

DZ
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Great job running the show Dave! Thanks and congrats to all involved for supporting our friend Chuck in his time of need. I feel very proud to be part of this group.

Numby - I'll be sending you a personalized copy as soon as my next shipment arrives (first printing sold out!). Please PM me your mailing address.

Thanks again.

DZ

JohnR
10-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Awesome Job running this Dave. Congrats to all the participated, and most of all Godspeed to Chuck :btu:

tysdad115
10-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Congrats to everyone, and thanks for organizing this. Great prize donations by some quality people for sure. Good luck to you Chuck.

Clammer
10-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks Dave ///great job ................old Crafty is smilin ><><><:love:

stinkyink
10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Congrats to the top finishers and everyone that participated especially Dave for putting on such an awesome tourney. Most of all Godspeed to Chuck!!!!!:)

Clogston29
10-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Dave, thanks for organizing. Didn't think those fish would hold up all weekend.

All, thanks for donating.

Crafty, keep fighting.

Canalman
10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
RAFFLE WINNERS!!!
Sorry it has taken me a few days to get on this, I've been trying to recover from 5 days with very little sleep! Here are the winners of the Raffle Prizes, I will email each winner individually for shipping info. Congrats to all the winners and thanks for helping out!!!

Bill & Jules Trip – Thomas Dragert

Hab’s Sr Night’n’Gale – Gregory Walsh

Gary2 Slim – Roger St. Germain

Bomba’s Bag O’ Tricks – Paul Iemma

Point Jude Lures Care Package – Matthew Deane

I will contact the top 5 winners tonight as well to arrange delivery of their loot.

new jack
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you Dave. Derbys are not easy and you did this very well.

Chuck, Good luck to you sir. I wish the best for you. Keep up the fight.