View Full Version : Fast paint question

Zeal
10-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Tried searching the forums but so many topics popped up and it just got nuts...

I got my hands on a Black Danny plug (Wood), I want to paint over that original color and make it solid White or a Solid Yellow.

Any special paint that I need for this? How many coats should I use? Any brands I should use (I have a Lowes and a Home Depot around here and some small places that might carry some paint/spray paint)? Any specific steps I should take painting it? I just don't want to ruin the action putting too much paint on (and of course not having the paint wear off).

Spray can or hand painting works, hoping to do this ASAP.

Much obliged

Slipknot
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
if it was me doing it, I'd scuff it lightly with something like 220 grit
clean it with Wilbond or some thinner
prime it with any spray bomb, dry, then scuff if needed, prime again if needed or finish coat with a white gloss paint.

you could clearcoat with a spray bomb too but may not be needed

Zeal
10-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Scuff it as in just rub the paint off the plug correct?

Much thanks!

WoodyCT
10-06-2012, 08:07 AM
No-Just take off most of the sheen. Make it dull. All the little scratches give the paint something to grab onto.

Clean it first, remove hooks, scuff it (the gray scotchbrite pads are good for this), clean off dust, WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP, tape off the lip, grab the tail wire with a pair of vice grips so it is securely locked in (this will give you a handle and allow you to stand the plug up as it dries), spray paint with Rustleum enamel (mist on light coats working along the length of the body- keep the can moving), let dry 10 min. Between coats, once the black is covered and the color looks good you are done. Hang to dry in a warm place for a day.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Charleston
10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
If it has swivels slide a piece of drinking straw over the swivel to mask paint. Also mask the lip the best you can. Does it have eyes? If yes, cut some masking tape into small circles and mask the eyes as well. Now follow the instructions above.

Saltheart
10-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Paint a black Danny!! WHY ?? :)

Black Dannys are pretty good lures on a dark night.