View Full Version : Hatteras Jacks

piemma
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Thought you guys should know a bit about the f*&^ing crap service I am getting from these guys.

They have had my reel since 9/8/12. I called at the end of Sept and was told that it was in pieces on Ryan's bench and Ryan was fishing.

I called last week and a guy told me that "Ryan hasn't even started on it and it would be early November before he even looks at it."

I said fine, send it back. A week later no reel. Tried calling and there is no one there and the VM system is full.

I sent them an email and I'll wait a week. If no reel or no response it's off to the Atty General.

chefchris401
10-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Paul I know Ryan directly. Ill call him now.

Sorry to hear this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
10-15-2012, 03:36 PM
You hear alot of horror stories about thier customer service

iamskippy
10-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Same thing happened to me at Quaker lane B&T in the spring they even told me the new reel was junk lol but the manager made it right after i paid him a personal visit.

piemma
10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Paul I know Ryan directly. Ill call him now.

Sorry to hear this.

WOW!! Talk about guys getting things done. Thanks to Chris and Lou (Sgt. Striper) my reel is being shipper out tomorrow. Apparently it was put on the wrong shelf and I got and email from Ryan apologizing.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the effort.

chefchris401
10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
No problem Paul. Glad to help. Ryan is a good guy and stands behind is work, they are a small shop, family run for a long time, small staff.

I called Ryan right after I read your post.

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience but glad he's taking care of it.

piemma
10-15-2012, 04:21 PM
You guys are the best. Now if Saltheart finishes my Century S1 this week, I will be in heaven this weekend.

chefchris401
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Conv or spinning?

If its spinning or welcome to use one of my 3

piemma
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks. Conv.

Mike said my rod would be ready on the 17th so I'm confident he'll have it for me.

chefchris401
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
What one did you get?

I haven't put the 11ft S2 down since I built it.

I want an akios and stealth set up for next season

BigFish
10-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Have to agree with Niko.....over the years I have heard many horror stories. Just told a friend of mine the other day to stay away!

piemma
10-16-2012, 01:16 AM
What one did you get?

I haven't put the 11ft S2 down since I built it.

I want an akios and stealth set up for next season

It's a 10' S1

Saltheart
10-16-2012, 09:31 AM
No its an 11 foot S2 (second generation) ! :) And it all built and gets the first coat of thread finish today.

trevier
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I had ryan do a reel for me, no problems what so ever, the best time to do that sort of thing is during the winter, that's when I did it, I've also met ryan great guy, sorry to hear this, glad it got resolved,

piemma
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
No its an 11 foot S2 (second generation) ! :) And it all built and gets the first coat of thread finish today.

Thank god you're building it Mike. The way I have been working, I'm lucky if I know my name

chefchris401
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM

By far my favorite rod from Century, has been my go to plugging rod all season.

Think you'll love it Paul

FinS 32
10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
By far my favorite rod from Century, has been my go to plugging rod all season.

Think you'll love it Paul

ill have mne done by the time the bass are here in nj

piemma
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, the reel is home and all I can say is WOW. What a friggin' job. Well worth the wait and the money . Tried it and found out I need to learn to cast a conventional all over again. This thing is lightening fast and even on an old 1209 it fires a 3 oz sinker like it came out of a rifle.

Thanks Ryan. Great job!!!

chefchris401
10-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, the reel is home and all I can say is WOW. What a friggin' job. Well worth the wait and the money . Tried it and found out I need to learn to cast a conventional all over again. This thing is lightening fast and even on an old 1209 it fires a 3 oz sinker like it came out of a rifle.

Paul glad your happy with the results, again sorry you had a bad experience, sucks you had to deal with that.

I know Ryan builds some amazing reels, i got to use a shimano trinidad 12 that he customized, i'm no pro when it comes to conv but i was throwing 6oz lead and bunker head 120 yards on a custom rod to match, crazy how smooth the reel was, and how easy it was to use, even for a novice conv guy like myself.

spence
10-19-2012, 03:14 PM

Bring it to Block Island. I'd like to see how far I can throw a 12" eel into a 20 kt wind.

-spence

MAKAI
10-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Casting precision conventional gear is a lot of fun in its own zen like way.

N.ShoreFisher
10-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Are the Century Rods carp rods? Can they be used for saltwater striper fishing? They look nice!

Sgt Striper
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Are the Century Rods carp rods? Can they be used for saltwater striper fishing? They look nice!

Yes, some are designed for Carp fishing and the Sling shot series is designed for US surf fishing. Can the Carp rods be used for saltwater striper fishing...of course and many models are and are VERY capable of fighting BIG fish. I use Sling Shots and also the Stealth, Spod and SP which are U.K. carp models. There are dealers in your area, check them out.

piemma
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Got my 11' S2 from Mike yesterday. If any of you guys have thoughts of having a rod built, PM Saltheart. I couldn't be happier. What a beautiful job on a beautiful rod.

Sgt Striper
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Got my 11' S2 from Mike yesterday. If any of you guys have thoughts of having a rod built, PM Saltheart. I couldn't be happier. What a beautiful job on a beautiful rod.
Go fish it!! :uhuh:

piemma
10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Go fish it!! :uhuh:

I am Lou. Putting the reel Ryan magged for me on it and taking it to the Block next week.

N.ShoreFisher
10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes, some are designed for Carp fishing and the Sling shot series is designed for US surf fishing. Can the Carp rods be used for saltwater striper fishing...of course and many models are and are VERY capable of fighting BIG fish. I use Sling Shots and also the Stealth, Spod and SP which are U.K. carp models. There are dealers in your area, check them out.

Thanks, good to know. It's funny, I consider myself at best an amateur fisherman, but an absolute begginer when it comes to knowing anything about rods or reels. I usually just take whatever has been handed down to me, given to me or whatever ugly stik and okuma I can afford and call it a day. I really need to attend some sort of club meeting or seminar to start getting a better idea of what and how to use my gear.

Saltheart
10-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Best of Luck with it Paul.

Block Island-end of October- New Rod-Essentially a New Reel- now that should be fun! :)

MAKAI
10-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I am Lou. Putting the reel Ryan magged for me on it and taking it to the Block next week.

Funny reminder.
My first trip to Block, miserable black rainy night, I scramble down to the SW corner with my new custom 1322 and super tuned Abu. First cast with a big swimmer into the wind, the plug goes sideways and I get a backlash the size of a football. :fury: Takes me 45 minutes to get back to the truck and re-spool. :smash: Soon as I'm back to the mainland it's off to Roy's to tie up another on for spinning. :)