View Full Version : Fly Fishing Reports

jeffsod
05-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Late afternoon wind wasn't too bad and rain looked like it would hold off a while and I had some time so headed for the WeWe. Incoming tide. Got a number of schoolies nothing over 20" inches. Fish were near surface and occasional pops and swirls could be heard nearby. Put on a herring fly to test the response and first cast had a decent fish hit it but missed the take. Close enough to me that I could tell it was better than the rest though. Got outta dodge before the heavens opened up.

Anyone else been fly fishing and if so post ya reports here...

jeffsod
06-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Guess no one has been fly fishing but me ;)

Hit an upper cape spot last night for the last of the dropping tide. Twinkee fest. Nothing larger than 20 inches on a Olive Flatwing fly. I guess I should have hit the canal with some '5 oz Canal Special' flys if I wanted something bigger. Still beats a skunking any day.

Fly Rod
06-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Try a full sinking line when fishing if you have 10' of water or better. You should increase your chances of bigger fish. Remember to use a 2-3 sink count in the shallower water or you may hook the bottom.

jeffsod
06-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the tip Fly Rod. Actually have a new Rio DC 325 coldwater striper line to use in those situations. Can't wait to cast it. Tried a full sinking line and did not care for the way it casted. Sinks great but...

jeffsod
06-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Cape Cod Bay 6/18-

Fished the last part of the outgoing last night along with several other fly flingers. Quiet. Saw one schoolie caught and that was it. Saw evidence of small fish around via swirls but they were not hitting. Stayed for the beggining of the incoming but it did not improve. Nice night to be out though. Sunset was a kodak moment but of course I did not have a camera. Oh well maybe next time...

likwid
06-18-2003, 08:35 PM
over this past weekend....

sinking line/herring like 6"ers

2 keepers within 45min among the boulders from the beach on cuttyhunk.... west side :D

jeffsod
06-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Cool

saltydog
06-20-2003, 03:31 PM
LIKWID, fishing Cutty hunk, tie up some BIG, BIG, BANGERS they love them there use a 7/0 hook take a look, the bottom one is
BOB POPS, an the top one is what I use there. LOVE TOP WATER.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FSHIN":happy: :happy: :happy:

sweppler
07-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I am new to the site and have fly fished down at castle island with no luck....looking to get more into it this summer in the evening after work. any reccommend spots in around boston south shore north short etc that is reccomended....I hear deer island is pretty good. Is it usually pretty calm up there...places where you can wade?

Spenser

Bobbike
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Area's on South shore that I fly at are:
Wollaston Beach (Black's Creek and the other end called the Hummicks)
King's Cove By the Fore river Bridge
Great Easker park and all that area
Marinia Bay area

Hope that helped

sweppler
07-14-2003, 11:48 AM
thanks,

we actually tried Black Creek this saturday afternoon evening though it was low tide. The wind was whipping right off the land and out onto the bay, I brought the fly rod but said no way to casting into the wind. Did catch a 12 inche schoolie on the spin rod though so i we didnt' completely skunked.

How do you access the back of estuary...

Bobbike
07-16-2003, 06:55 AM
If you cross the road ( Wolliston Blvd. ) and walk or drive to the first parking lot, there is a map of the park there or just walk up the road that runs parrallel to the creek.
Tight Lines