View Full Version : Conrad Sr.

Eric Roach
10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a few spots where I'd love to use a big diving plug instead of a jig to get down.

Saw a great post by Professor M with X-rays, and dimensions -- thank you to him and the helpful comments in that thread from experienced builders.

I'm curious which wood I should use for a Conrad Sr. Were the original Pichneys made of pine? Is AYC a good choice? What about a hardwood like soft maple or cherry -- would that alter the action too much by requiring less lead?

Thanks for any insight.

numbskull
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
It doesn't matter what wood you use, just get the lip right and weight the plug to float level (or very slightly nose down) with the back just barely out of the water.

It is not a good plug against the current.
A musso pine or rattler (at least the jr size) will run nearly as deep.

Eric Roach
10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the comment about current.

I probably should learn a little more about the uses of this plug before I order the lips, etc.

Can anyone tell me how deep these run?

Is it possible to keep it at a certain depth by slowing the retrieve, or is it diving no matter what?

numbskull
10-22-2012, 03:14 PM
They'll get down 8-10 feet with a medium retrieve (fast is counter-productive) and you hold your rod tip low.
They'll stay level if you slow them once they're down there.
You have to crawl them to get them to come back up which is an issue fishing them from a shallow perch.

Eric Roach
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
That's helpful info -- thank you, George.

I do have a couple of spots where the Conrad would be useful -- a couple of spots from ledge with nothing but deep water in front and a couple of deep, high-current spots around slack.

I'm not familiar with the Rattler, is it also called the Donny Troller or are they different plugs?

Rockfish9
10-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Eric.... that plug is a very good producer in the mouth of the river ( merrimack) at the bottom of the outgoing/turn of the incoming.... the colder more dense ocean water will run under the warmer, less dense river water.. .. the normal plugs, goo-goos, trollers and pikies have trouble with that confused current... the nature of the conrad allows it to be almost held in place while fishing from the jetty or aboat drifting in slightly solwer water or sitting in an eddy.. it is especialy effective on those early spring tides that run out "forever" but run in undernieth when the bass are chasing herring.

Eric Roach
10-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for that explanation and tip.

numbskull
10-23-2012, 09:11 PM
The Musso Rattler is just a Pine with a sloped head.
The Musso Troller was a separate plug that was bigger than their large swimmers (but weighted the same so it was more buoyant).
I don't know where the name rattler came from.