View Full Version : Generators

Jimbo
10-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Any one have advice on buying a generator? My wife has ordered me to get something just to cover the sump pump and possibly fridge should Sandy leave us without power for an extended period. 2000 Watt? 3000? 4000?

Jackbass
10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Ok IMHO as an electrical professional go as big as you can with in your budget. I have a 6kw that has served me well. The issue with buying one that will serve the loads you require at its peak is heat. If your fridge draws 15a at 120 V that is roughly (simple calculations) 1.8 kw. At 120v a 2kw engine will big down every time the sump turns on and will also be running full out to maintain your refrigerator. Go with a 4 KW then you at least have the option of adding things to your load as needed. Just make sure if you hitch it to your panel you kill your main! I recommend putting in a transfer switch (because it is illegal to not by code and I am bound by law to do things that way)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Seriously though if you go too small you will regret it. I have never heard anyone say I wish I had a smaller generator

Jimbo
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Great info, thanks. Unfortunately, I just went out to Walmart, HD and a local appliance store and I don't think I'm going to find anything at this point. Will have to get the girls ready for bucket brigade, hope for the best, and make a wise investment after the storm passes.
Thanks again.

GattaFish
10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Buy a Honda

Redsoxticket
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
DC/AC converter from the car to the sump pump or refrigerator should carry you over until you get a
generator

Scuttlebutt
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I bought one last night at Sears (Burlington Ma). Briggs 5500. They had two left I think...but they said they sold six yesterday. Transfer switch is in the plans but maybe just extentions cords for fridge and furnace if I need it next week. It has 4 120V outlets on it so maybe a few lights as well. Quality extension cords are not cheap these days!

Go online and you can check in-store inventory. Pay on-line withh CC and pick-up in an hour or so...that's what I did.

Jimbo
10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a very generous neighbor with one of those Binfer5000 generators wired in to his house and tied into the gasline so it comes on as soon the second power goes out. It's huge. Only once, in Irene, have we needed help and he came through and offered that if I got extension cords I could tap into his. He's already told my wife we're welcome to do it again and I should run the extensions as soon as I want. But when they become available again I'll get my own. I'm not much for borrowing other people's things.
And we learned a lot of lessons from Irene and now our basement really isn't in a state where we'll get significant water damage again.

striperman36
10-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Good luck Jimbo, your a little to close to the zone to not have a backup power supply this time.

NHC is showing Sandy coming up to PHL via Delaware Bay at the moment

Jackbass
10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I would definitely look around outside coastal areas I am sure you can find one

Jimbo
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I appreciate the concern. We're about 40-50 miles inland, near Trenton, so we have been canvassing everything around here. Have a call to my sister in law over near Easton, PA to check that way, so there's still hope. My fault, I should have gotten on it when the boss first gave me my orders, but in the meantime we'll prepare every other way possible for it. Lines are underground, trees back from the house, and supposedly they've fixed the problem with the substation that left us without power for three days after Irene.

basswipe
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Maybe I'm one of the lucky one's but I bought the $89 900watt Harborfreight generator and its a champ.Many a hours on it during Irene powering my smaller fridge/freezer,a lamp and a radio.Just fired it up to make sure all is good.

Swimmer
10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Buy a Honda

Ditto on the above sentiment. I have had a hONDA 5000 FOR 13 YEARS AND WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD. Look on-line. You can get some great deals shipped to your door.

Second choice is a Generac

Jackbass
10-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Maybe I'm one of the lucky one's but I bought the $89 900watt Harborfreight generator and its a champ.Many a hours on it during Irene powering my smaller fridge/freezer,a lamp and a radio.Just fired it up to make sure all is good.

I carry one of those in the van for running tools as needed. Not a bad engine for the price