View Full Version : Wrapping/drying/applying motor

Ian
11-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I am going to pour and tie my own jigs this winter, but I also have plans to build/rebuild a rod or two. Combining my forecasted hobbies has me considering a variable speed motor that I can control with a foot pedal or fan switch. It will serve as a drying motor for all my ties (jigs, teasers, flags, and the occasional fly) and an all around motor for rods.

Does anyone have experience with these? A search online and on ebay mentions these motors and using them with switches and dimmers, but no one spells out what type of motor you need for the controls to work. I also don't want to buy just any motor and hook it up to a dimmer/control and burn it out in a week or worse cause a fire.

Don't need brands or specific models (unless you have stumbled upon a bullet proof one) but just specifications. Torque, RPM, current type, etc.

Saltheart
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
You need two setrrate motors. One for drying in the 6 to 18 RPM range (synchronous motor ) . One for building rods (except for drying) that goes up to high RPM ranges with some torque (sewing machine motor 1/10th to 1/5th HP) . No way to have one motor do both. Get an old rotisserie motor for the drying if you don't want to spend money on a Flexcoat Motor.