View Full Version : boat safety requirements list

Mr. Kav
06-02-2003, 11:58 AM
i hear that there is a new list of boat safety requirements as in MOUNTED fire extinquishers and things like that. does anyone know a website or a requirement list that i could get a look at for a 25 ft boat?

Van
06-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Kav:
I don't know where, but there must be something on the CG website.
I was boarded last season, and they checked for the following only.

Lifejackets-DUH
Flare/signal kit (with not expired dates)
Fire Ext.
Horn
Radio

That was it.

Mr. Kav
06-02-2003, 01:22 PM
someone told me who was boarded this year that they got fined for not having there fire extinquisher permanently mounted and i think the flares do have to have expiration dates on them.

Van
06-02-2003, 02:50 PM
That may be true, mine is mounted and they did not say anything.
I did have one item expired in my flare kit, he let that slide, but said replace it. This year I had to replace all my flare gun shells, handheld flares as well as the smoke handhelds too.

Striper1
06-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Mr. Kav.

I was boarded in the Fore river 2 weeks back.

I have not mounted mine and did not get a fine.

One thing he did ask for was a bucket to bail with:smash:
I do have a bilge pump.

He also told me if I had the Aux. C.G. sticker he would have not stoped me.

Frank.

Mr. Kav
06-03-2003, 06:26 AM
thanks frank for your input i am going to look into that sticker.

Van, i replaced my flare shells last year but i do not have my extinguisher mounted. i will try and get that done this weekend. i have a couple friends coming in from bermuda and i would like to get the boat 100% ready for that. i am taking thursday and friday off of next week so i will be out on the water hopefully both days.

Van
06-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Kav:
Maybe I'll blow a day off and meet you out there.

JohnR
06-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Ever thought of a "Ditch Bag"? No, not plugs for the canal but a floating bag full of necessities in case the boat goes down. Something you can get to REAL quick if needed...

The US Power Squadron has some info on their website for safety items: http://www.usps.org

Mr. Sandman
06-04-2003, 01:37 PM
I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.bbps.net/USCGMinReq.pdf

Megabyte
06-04-2003, 07:55 PM
I second John R's suggestion. Get a small ditch Bag (ACR)

You can put all your safety gear in one place and take it with you in case you have to abandon ship. (the ditch bag floats and has a strap to attrach to your life jacket)

I put the handheld vhf, gps,flares,mirror, whistle, pfd (only one), flashligh,strobe light, and have it ready in 30 seconds.

I couldn't remember all the lockers (not many on a 21' CC) that had safety gear in them. I'm all lot more comfortable with the ditch bag on board.

Let's see: my life or a ditch bag

Let's all be a little safer this year than last year

tight lines !

fishsmith
06-05-2003, 08:03 AM
On a less serious note, you should also never throw your bait out until you get back to port. Nothing is worse than breaking down and having no bait left to fish with, but lots of time to sit there and look at that damn motor.

Fish On
06-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Check out Chapman's. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know about safety items.

missing link
06-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I know one thing th CG likes to see the fire ext. mounted on an angle compared to straight up and down it seems to keep the contents mixed compared to all the stuff setteling to the bottom
yes the CG likes to see a vessel saftey sticker just call your local CG aux flotilla they will meet you anywhere you have your boat @ no charge
link