View Full Version : bucktails

lennyr
06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Do you guys or gals have a quick fix for bucktails when the blues chew them off your favorite striper plug? I tried split rings (didn't work so well). I guess bringing extra hooks with bucktails already on is the answer but, its a pain to change hooks. Is there somthing I can clip or bend on with needle nose pliers? Would come in handy to change colors also.

BasicPatrick
06-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Split Rings are the way to go. Why do you not like them. Describe you problem with them and we may be able to help.

lennyr
06-02-2003, 01:15 PM
I have trouble getting the bucktail to sit on the hook with the split rings. This causes it to flop around affecting the cast. (wind catches the bucktail and shortens the cast. When I tie the directly to the hook its much more aerodynamic and the plug flys out there. I need the distance to reach the fish. I get somthing like a helicopter cast with the split rings.

SeaWolf
06-02-2003, 07:41 PM
tie your own on open end siwash hooks such as mustad or vmc. i know habs sells siwash if you need them. then, just bend them on your plug's wire.

lennyr
06-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks the open end hooks should do the trick! Hate split rings in the surf.

MakoMike
06-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Another alternative is to bring along some thin copper wire, like the guys use for rigging ballyhoo. Then you can just wrap a new hunk of hair right onto the hook.

thewaterfordstriper
06-04-2003, 02:01 PM
you stole my thunder makomike. that is eactly what i was going to say. works well.

lennyr
06-04-2003, 03:46 PM
thanks again! I like the idea of the wire. I have some and will give it a try. The blues are eating my bucktails and plugs so bad this year. I bought a bunch of wood #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& lures and 3 weeks ago it was all bass, now the blues show up and they are chewing up everything I throw out there! Savage fish...but great fight!