View Full Version : Plumbing question summer home shut down

JamesJet
11-10-2012, 07:57 PM
A question for a plumber (or one who knows) regarding a small home down cape with gas forced hot air and gas water heater in basement. In years past we fully shut the place down, had plumber turn off gas, water & electric turned off for the winter. Lately we have been keeping it open as my family and I enjoy going down and spending a weekend or two a month or so just to bum around or get a few improvements done on it. My question is if there is a happy in between where I can basically shut off heat and be OK.

My thoughts were to fully drain water except the water heater in basement and to shut furnace off. I have a drain right about my main that would take out everything but the water heater, probably leave some small amount of water in the pipes in basement. I could put a shutoff right above WH and use a compressor to blow whole house clear except for that if that amount of water would be a concern. I would then fill RV antifeeze into all the traps and be done.
Is this a good or bad idea and why? Thoughts come to mind of - its gas, exactly how would I do that and is it safe to keep turning it on and off? Water heater will be turned down but will need to call for water cause issues? Am I over thinking this, main issue is I don't want to worry about the place.
Thanks

Grapenuts
11-11-2012, 08:33 AM
what town are you calling" down cape"?

Redsoxticket
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
If you truly don't want to worry about the place then consider draining the water tank and gas/off.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
11-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I am not a plumber.

At 1 or 2 weekends per month I would just leave it fully functional and just throttle the heat back to45- 50 and turn the hot water to low. I would not leave a hot water heater running with no water connection. To me , a couple of qweekends a month is worth just having it a thermostat turn away from normal.

JamesJet
11-11-2012, 08:22 PM
down cape is Harwich. I don't mind draining tank, its more of a pain, would have to hook up pump etc but not a huge deal. I am a little weird about gas. Can I just shut off outside? Safe? Never really messed with it - I am sure the on off process is safe but still a little cautious.

afterhours
11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
does the gas furnace have a piliot light?