View Full Version : Black Diamond Storm head lamp - first thoughts

spence
11-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Bought one of these yesterday as I lost my primary lamp and (while not cheap) this looked to have a lot to offer. Paid 37.50 at EMS with their 25% off sale yesterday.

It has many light options - spot (w/dimmer!), flood, red and strobe for any of them.

Takes 4 AAA batteries but is still very small in size and light weight considering. There's a knurled screw to open the battery cover which is a nice touch.

Waterproof to 1m.

The spotlight is INCREDIBLY bright, brighter than most full size flashlights. On par with one of my tactical lights.

The red light isn't very bright. Probably enough on a dark night but I found myself using the flood more than I did with my old lamp.

All the light functions are controlled by a single button which can be a bit confusing. Though when you're in the red light mode it will go on/off without having to cycle through the white light which is nice. You hold the button down for 3 seconds when the light is off to switch between red and white. Click the button several times to go into strobe mode when it's on.

Only real complaint is that the button has a subtle feel and isn't always easy to find, and this wasn't even on a cold night. With gloves this could take some getting used to.

So pretty nice but not perfect.

Of course today I found my other lamp :smash:

-spence

Higgie
11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I bought a black diamond this spring and I've been extremely impressed. Good battery life and so far very water resistant. I use mine fishing and camping and keep it in my jeep all the time in case of emergencies.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RickBomba
11-11-2012, 06:04 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&y bought me one years back. We usually just use it pulling the sleds out early for the ice tourney. Seems to work fine.

paradoxjim
11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Does the Black Diamond have an option to clip to a cap? I find they stay out of my way if they're on my cap.

Ian
11-11-2012, 06:49 PM
My complaint regarding Black Diamonds is how quickly they burn through batteries... other than that I love mine. Use my UK Vizion more often now.

american spirit
11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
i've got the same one. 2 seasons. changes batteries half way through the season. red is perfect imo. not too bright to mess up the night vision. bright enough to find plugs and take hooks out of fish. only light i've owned that hasn't crapped out in 1 season.

the flood light does kill batteries.

Saltheart
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I got a Petzle Spilunker about 15 years ago. Still works. never a leak into the battery compartment , etc. More money up front but a reliable long lasting product.

GattaFish
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
UK vizion mostly. Have only burned up one since i started using them. Could have been the way I use it but good lights and I think I have tried most of them.

MassBass
11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Was given a black diamond 2 Christmas ago. Lasted about a few days before water started to show inside the lens. Insides showed rust within a week. Going uk this season.

piemma
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I have had my LED energizer for 3 seasons. Red lite, double white LEDs. 3 AAA batteries. Been under water a dozen times and wet too many times to remember and still works perfectly.

Energizer
Trailfinder 3 LED Headlight 2 Modes 2 White LEDs & 1 Red LED

Manufacturer Part# HD33A2ODE
UPC Code: 039800030979
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

Product Type: Head Torch
Product Model: HD33A2ODE
Batteries: 3 x AAA
Product Line: TrailFinder
Battery Life: 30 Hour $10.95

Ian
11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I have had my LED energizer for 3 seasons. Red lite, double white LEDs. 3 AAA batteries. Been under water a dozen times and wet too many times to remember and still works perfectly.

Energizer
Trailfinder 3 LED Headlight 2 Modes 2 White LEDs & 1 Red LED

Manufacturer Part# HD33A2ODE
UPC Code: 039800030979
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

Product Type: Head Torch
Product Model: HD33A2ODE
Batteries: 3 x AAA
Product Line: TrailFinder
Battery Life: 30 Hour $10.95

A buddy of mine has this light and loves it. I ended up replacing my Black Diamond because I had "bright red light envy" from his energizer. I was worried about the longevity in the surf... should have known! I find my UK competes with the brightness, but that comes at a price well above $11

Redsoxticket
11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
The Black Diamond model "Storm* outputs upto 100 lumens whereas the Energizer Traifinder is a mere 30 lumens. I like the strong light for piercing thru the water to see the submerged rocks. Two seasons with the storm and still working.

spence
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
The Black Diamond model "Storm* outputs upto 100 lumens whereas the Energizer Traifinder is a mere 30 lumens. I like the strong light for piercing thru the water to see the submerged rocks. Two seasons with the storm and still working.
No kidding, with the spot on full blast I could see submerged rocks 50 feet away at night.

One could certainly argue that this much power though would be better suited for a second light.

-spence

Ian
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I wish they were programmed so the beam didnt lose intensity as the battery wore out

Redsoxticket
11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
No kidding, with the spot on full blast I could see submerged rocks 50 feet away at night.

One could certainly argue that this much power though would be better suited for a second light.

-spence

As you mentioned in your original post the output is variable which happens to be 25 to 100 lumens.
The red led is not to bright as you indicated but still can be used for close up viewing such as swapping plugs, viewing reel for line foul and dehooking fish but not for rock hooping. It would be nice to find a electronic modification that someone posted online to amplify the red led.