View Full Version : Pulled trigger on new boat, neede electronics advice

Jim in CT
11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
After searsching in vain for the perfect used boat, we pulled the trigger on a new Privateer 24 Renegade center console. I'll use this boat between Mystic CT and Charlestown, RI mostly.

Haven't had a boat in years, so I'm way behind the times with electronics. I'll be using the boat 50% of the time for inshore light tackle fishing, and 50% of the time for family fun (picnics, tubing, etc).

I've never felt like I needed more than a good depth-finder, but now I'll have my wife and kids with me. I'd like to make the boating experience as safe and fun as possible, so I'm open to electronics that work toward that end.

Any recommendations for specific units, or maybe a trustorthy dealer in the area?

Budget should allow for a decent radar, mapping, communications, and music package.

Sea Dangles
11-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I wwould recommend the Garmin. I have a 12" screen that does all you ask. The processor is slow but it has good mapping and a very good sonar with the thru hull ducer. I added a small radar unit that works great for what I need with a nice overlay system. I would also recommend a fusion stereo if you like that stuff,mine takes an iphone/ipod inside of the unit for a personal touch and is also satellite ready which interfaces with the Garmin for sirius weather. I also have it wired into the icom for distress purposes.
They have some real cutting edge stuff out there for sonar but if your primary use is inshore I wouldn't get too crazy.

piemma
11-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Second the Garmin. I have Garmin, sonar, Garmin GPS with the G2 Bluewater chip hooked into a NMEA 2000 network and a Garmen GDL40 weather unit that overlays realtime weather on my GPS mapping unit.

RIJIMMY
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
jim, congrats on the boat- I just went through this - spent 3-4 hrs in cabelas and bass pro this weekend
for sonar - There are amazing strides in side and down imaging . The imaging provides picture like quality from your fish finder.
check out lowrance and hummingbird side scanning and down imaging. I wish I had this when I was fishing the rock piles for stripers.

Fishfinder/ Chartplotter - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics (http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/)

Humminbird: America?s favorite Fishfinder ? the leading innovator of Side Imaging technology (http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innovation/humminbird-sonar/down-imaging.aspx)
Humminbird: America?s favorite Fishfinder ? the leading innovator of Side Imaging technology (http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innovation/humminbird-sonar/side-imaging.aspx)

Guppy
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi Jim
Same here,, haven't had a boat in years and picked up a 20' sea hunt this summer. The combination of a small screen Garmin that was on her and my over the hill eyes, I came up with putting my IPad in one of the wife's food vacuum bag thingies and purchased a "sea sucker" IPad mount that mounts to the cc. Loaded a couple of apps and ended up with a touch screen plotter.

First time poster, Gup
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

SweetD
11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Privateer = great hull (I have the 18' Retriever)...you'll be super happy with it...congrats!

For sounder, lots of guys swear by the Furuno models for accuracy and ease of use.

Dave

Fishoholic
11-14-2012, 02:59 AM
I'd go with a Garmin 740S / GMR18, 18" radar package. I've installed 3 and they are incredibly easy to put in, easy to use and easy to read. Fusion stereos are also great for the stereo side of it.

RIROCKHOUND
11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Get the Glen Beck sounder...

it just yells 'Obama is a Nazi' everytime you mark a fish.... should make you nice and comfortable :love::biglaugh:

Garmin makes nice units, as do Fuaruno. get what you can afford, and have some redundancy built in if possible... all-in-ones are nice, until the break...

Sea Flat
11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
You can not go wrong with Garmin, they make quality products. Something to consider though. I truly believe you can get more bang for your buck if you look at Humminbird products. Something like the 300 series are very affordable and they come in many different configurations in terms of GPS, color etc.

Got Stripers
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I'd go with a Garmin 740S / GMR18, 18" radar package. I've installed 3 and they are incredibly easy to put in, easy to use and easy to read. Fusion stereos are also great for the stereo side of it.

I put the 740 gps/finder/radar bundle on my boat, love them and won't break the bank.

MakoMike
11-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Do you want units that will just get by or the best you can get?

fatcow
11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Furuno 585. Marks fish at 30knt. Seabass scup and all. Furuno Navnet
3D For gps. Reason i went with the navnet is it has the time zero feature and u can switch and use three types of mapes. If u need a transducer def get a 1k ducer. I have three units that i use. fishfinder gps radar. Not an all in one.

jredfly
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Raymarine C80, the rest are just toys. Wait for the boat shows where West Marine usually discounts 20%. Good Luck! :uhuh:

jredfly
11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
BTW - Congratulations on the new boat! Very happy for you, be safe out there! :uhuh:

Fish_Eye
11-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Look at the Humminbird unit with side scan...feature rich, easy to use and fantastic detail. It's my eyes underwater when I can't use my eyes underwater.