View Full Version : Boat / deck boots

tlapinski
11-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I need to upgrade my crappy old white shrimp boots to something a little more comfortable. Any recommendations on what to buy? I keep looking around but I am hesitant to pull the trigger on anything without some sort of feedback.

RIJIMMY
11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
i bought the rugged sharks from defender a few years back, Im a 9 1/2 - 10 and got size 10. These hurt my feet like hell, I cant explain why but they cause severe pain. Even when worn on land. Its like they squeeze the heel ro somethign. i got some inserts and still have the same problem. Maybe its my feet but I never had any other shoe or boot cause pain like this,

MAKAI
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Crocs boating croc 90% of the time its all you need. Super comfortable with great cushioning. Easy on and off. Love them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I like my "shrimpers' I find a pair of Dr. sholls gel inserts go a long way to making them alot more comfortable...

piemma
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I like my "shrimpers' I find a pair of Dr. sholls gel inserts go a long way to making them alot more comfortable...

me too love them

likwid
11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
me too love them

superfeet work great in em too.

thefishingfreak
11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Wool socks are an excellent upgrade also

Rockfish9
11-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Wool socks are an excellent upgrade also

almost mandatory early and late in the season

Piscator
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Keepereeper just gave me a pair of brand new Shimano Evair "low top" boots, I could wear those things around the house. Like a pair of slippers.

zacs
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
XtraTuf.

Mr. Sandman
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Muck boots (I like the low cut) with a pair of $20 gel insoles and thick cushy sock goes a loooooog way to improving comfort. (also put a impact pad on the deck where you run the boat from. I get 1.5 seasons out of them. On my 3rd pair.

On a nice clam day in the summer I will wear crocks but as soon as it gets sloppy

macojoe
11-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Just the white shrimp type for me also, a insole and your good to go. Doctor orders for me is dry feet as much as possible!

Raider Ronnie
11-13-2012, 09:34 PM
i bought the rugged sharks from defender a few years back, Im a 9 1/2 - 10 and got size 10. These hurt my feet like hell, I cant explain why but they cause severe pain. Even when worn on land. Its like they squeeze the heel ro somethign. i got some inserts and still have the same problem. Maybe its my feet but I never had any other shoe or boot cause pain like this,

I've got a few pairs of Rugged Shark.
You have to buy them 2 sizes bigger than what you usually wear.

beamie
11-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I seem to always have issues with the instep being to tight, makes it a sob to put on and off. Them I usually cut the boot down a bit to fit around my athletic calf:)

tautog
11-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Take a look at Guy Cotten boots, I have the blue ones and really like them

Rock Faller
11-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Sperry SeaRacer are extremely comfortable for all day wear. I got some for sailing and love them. Very pricey though

tlapinski
11-14-2012, 08:17 AM
I am kind of surprised others actually like the shrimp boots. This is what I currently have SERVUS 12" DAIRY / FISHING BOOT (http://www.slipfreeshoes.com/shop/categories.php?grp=-1&id=521&gclid=CP6dqfvEzrMCFcRU4AodpngA1w)
I bought them in a pinch about 10 years ago and while they still work ok, they are on their last leg between getting a few spines through them over the years to just simply being old and beat up. I always add a pair of insoles, but even that doesn’t help enough to make them comfy. Lots of good suggestions, I’ll look into some of the boots suggested. Thanks!

piemma
11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Muck boots (I like the low cut) with a pair of $20 gel insoles and thick cushy sock goes a loooooog way to improving comfort. (also put a impact pad on the deck where you run the boat from. I get 1.5 seasons out of them. On my 3rd pair.

On a nice clam day in the summer I will wear crocks but as soon as it gets sloppy

I bought a tellers pad from Bankers supply and I'm on my 4th season. 36" x 18"

tradrodz
11-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Northerner Max Men's Hi Boots, There a little heavier than shrimp boots but provide a lot more support imo. I'm a big guy 280 6'4 and I wear a sz 15 these were the only deck style boots my size I could find. I like them a lot. I wear them on the beach, the river, etc. etc. and my feet don't hurt and they haven't worn in the soles like a lot of my other boots have. They're USA made if that matters to you, and they're inxepensive I think around $25 for a pair. Here's the site: lfsmarineoutdoor.com

zimmy
11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Chikana by Muck Boots. There is no comparison as far as comfort compared to pretty much any of the rubber boots that I have tried. It is a relatively low height. The muck scrub would be a good boat boot if you wanted a taller boot.

zacs
11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
i can't belive nobody out there is using XtraTuf. no comparison.....

likwid
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
i can't belive nobody out there is using XtraTuf. no comparison.....

Bit pricey compared to Servus.

I've worn my retired Dubarrys fishing. :hidin:

Iwannakeeper
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
XtraTuf.

I second the xtratuf's

johnny ducketts
11-16-2012, 08:38 AM
xtratufs are kinda tuffs now, they switched production to china, and now they fall apart easily, if they don't say made in the usa on them, they are the Chinese ones, they just don't last. I was a huge believer in them, now I switched to a servus fire type boot.

Mr. Sandman
11-16-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: Boots/rain gear/etc:

I must now have 5 pair of different bibs and 10 pairs of various boots on the shelf. From the traditional to the fancy. I feel like an at sea version of Imelda Marcos with her shoes.

There is a place for knee high or tall boots but I find them very uncomfortable to walk around in esp in the summer in a center console. They are heavy and clumsy. (and the look with shorts is priceless:biglaugh:) I find for most sport fishing applications the lower cut models (shimano, muck, et al) are far more comfortable and keep you warm and dry . You can walk around your house with them (without your wife going nuts), drive and function like a normal human being. Paired with a pair of breathable bib's that have velcro leg cuffs that close up the leg, I have fished for 24 hours+ in total comfort. Warm and dry on cold days and comfortable on wet summer days. The old school knee high boot and giant opened legged grundens are heavy duty and macho and all...these are good if you want to look like some commercial goon from wicked tuna but they suck for comfort. Those giant baggy legs and heavy boots are stone age. Yes they work and last for years and are cheap, everyone should own a pair. But they are not comfortable, in the summer they are killer hot, in the winter they provide little insulation and they do not breath. Not to mention you walk around like a clown with those pants legs that have a diameter of a giant tunas girth.

From my experience, if you want comfort Recs should go low profile boots and stick with breathable rain gear. There are modestly priced items that work well last for a number of years. You don't need to break the bank and buy stuff used to cross the Atlantic in the winter via a sailboat. I normally get 3 seasons out of my gear before I replace it. Put about 600 hours on boats per season. (300 on mine 300 on others) Then I keep it as spares for guests. Most guests that wear them once...then they go out any buy them for themselves and have commented back to me they have never been so comfortable while fishing.

My most recent purchase was a pair of Gage (by Grundens) fishing bibs. After a great review by SWS and others I figured Grundens is finally making something breathable but also heavy duty. What a disappointment. The cut is bizarre, Giant legs, no chest pocket and incredibly hard to get in and out of without a zippered front. The fabric is really first class but the design sucks. I have worn them twice. Once on a warm day and once on a cold day. On the cold day I was freezing in them, the warm day was OK. Never trust those reviews in magazines, they are really ad's, they didn't really use the product.

If you are a comm fishermen and roll around in fishguts all day then go with the heavy rubber gear and tall heavy boots, but if you are sitting on a gunnel with rod in hand, go light weight and enjoy your day.

Piscator
11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
RE: Boots/rain gear/etc:

I must now have 5 pair of different bibs and 10 pairs of various boots on the shelf. From the traditional to the fancy. I feel like an at sea version of Imelda Marcos with her shoes.

There is a place for knee high or tall boots but I find them very uncomfortable to walk around in esp in the summer in a center console. They are heavy and clumsy. (and the look with shorts is priceless:biglaugh:) I find for most sport fishing applications the lower cut models (shimano, muck, et al) are far more comfortable and keep you warm and dry . You can walk around your house with them (without your wife going nuts), drive and function like a normal human being. Paired with a pair of breathable bib's that have velcro leg cuffs that close up the leg, I have fished for 24 hours+ in total comfort. Warm and dry on cold days and comfortable on wet summer days. The old school knee high boot and giant opened legged grundens are heavy duty and macho and all...these are good if you want to look like some commercial goon from wicked tuna but they suck for comfort. Those giant baggy legs and heavy boots are stone age. Yes they work and last for years and are cheap, everyone should own a pair. But they are not comfortable, in the summer they are killer hot, in the winter they provide little insulation and they do not breath. Not to mention you walk around like a clown with those pants legs that have a diameter of a giant tunas girth.

From my experience, if you want comfort Recs should go low profile boots and stick with breathable rain gear. There are modestly priced items that work well last for a number of years. You don't need to break the bank and buy stuff used to cross the Atlantic in the winter via a sailboat. I normally get 3 seasons out of my gear before I replace it. Put about 600 hours on boats per season. (300 on mine 300 on others) Then I keep it as spares for guests. Most guests that wear them once...then they go out any buy them for themselves and have commented back to me they have never been so comfortable while fishing.

My most recent purchase was a pair of Gage (by Grundens) fishing bibs. After a great review by SWS and others I figured Grundens is finally making something breathable but also heavy duty. What a disappointment. The cut is bizarre, Giant legs, no chest pocket and incredibly hard to get in and out of. The fabric is first class but the design sucks. I have worn them twice. Once on a warm day and once on a cold day. On the cold day I was freezing in them, the warm day was OK. I went back to $100 back up west marine breathable and was far more comfortable.

If you are a comm fishermen and roll around in fishguts all day then go with the heavy rubber gear, but if you are sitting on a gunnel with rod in hand, go light weight and enjoy your day.

Can you please let me know if you ever have a yard sale??????

Mr. Sandman
11-16-2012, 10:05 AM
One of my favorite quotes is:

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

fatcow
11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Xtratuff in my opinion are the best. Very comfi., fold them them down if you want, could add the xtra sole, I spend many hours in them during the fishing season and my feet are stll kickin, P-U. Haha.

Iwannakeeper
11-16-2012, 09:13 PM
xtratufs are kinda tuffs now, they switched production to china, and now they fall apart easily, if they don't say made in the usa on them, they are the Chinese ones, they just don't last. I was a huge believer in them, now I switched to a servus fire type boot.

I am very disappointed. I haven't bought a pair in years - haven't needed too. Maybe time to look at some lacrosse

for warm weather, shorts, etc. I use old sneakers or this summer a pair of decent water shoes.

ThrowingTimber
11-17-2012, 04:21 PM
I currently use the standard white servus boots, and I throw a set of SuperFeet (green) insoles in them.

Smulax
11-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Muck boots. comfy and warm

bobber
11-17-2012, 09:43 PM
best thing I ever bought was the padded mat for my center console......

doesn't matter what boots yer wearing

bassballer
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I wear the navy blue shrimpers. They look better with my white bibs. Look good, fish good

MakoMike
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Been hearing the same thing on the new Chinese made xtratufs. Some commercial guys I know say that their new ones aren't lasting a month before they start to fall apart. The company has issued a press release saying that they screwed up in moving the production to China. Stay away!

tlapinski
11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Has antone ever tried something like the knee-high rubber hunting / fishing boots that Cabelas and the like sells. My rubber hippers I wear when jetty fishing are very comfy. Just not sure how slick they might be on a deck.

Steve08753
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I've used a pair of Xtra Toughs for 3 years now and couldn't wish for a more comfortible boot and they look as good as new

Canalman
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Toby... heads for the dark side ;)

nightfighter
10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Old thread.....

Looking at the Mucks. Which models are you guys wearing?

zimmy
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Try the chikana. I can't imagine you won't like them.

piemma
10-25-2013, 04:02 AM
I have been wearing the 8" Norcross Servus white boots for 3 years with no issues.

Mr. Sandman
10-25-2013, 05:32 AM
I wear the muck (the low one) as well. For extra comfort I replace the insole with a $20 high impact gel insole and the comfort is improved immensely of the stock sole. comfortable but not ideal on boats.

The problem I have with the muck is that is it is not designed for the boat. The bottom get slick. And it has downright poor traction on a deck of many boats. Particularly downeasters...if you step on on that metal deck plate you are going on your ass. My boat has a very aggressive nonskid so it is OK but on most boats I probably would look more for a boot that is designed for the deck of a boat.

I heard they discontinued the low model anyway. So I will try that shark boot that has a nonskid sole next.

goosefish
10-25-2013, 06:40 AM
I've been wearing Dunlop's Purofort for about 10 years. Great boot. Extremely comfortable and rugged. They are pricy, around $80 I believe. A lot of the commercial guys wear them--the soles won't give out and the rubber in the boot doesn't chafe your legs. They are knee-high, which might be too long for you. Five star recommendation.

goosefish
10-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Go one size up from what you wear. So I wear a 42 shoe but a 43 Dunlop.

DZ
10-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Back in the day I always cut the boots off my old waders that had sprung too many leaks. Used them on my shore tog trips and (blasphemy) the few times I was invited on boats. Even learned that the waders, sans boots, worked good as foul weather gear when you didn't need to wade. Frugal me.

DZ

OLD GOAT
10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
New pair of Servus for me last year. Much more comfortable than the oldies and great sippings to help from slipping.

JackK
10-25-2013, 09:04 AM
I use the Muck Arctic Cat in the winter... Love it, don't have the traction issues onboard that Sandman noted. Multi-purpose winter boot... Fishing/ice fishing/shoveling etc. Crazy warm.

In the summer I just use the el cheapo white Servus boots with inserts.

Xtratufs are garbage now- fall apart with any hard work. The old ones are still awesome, though.

piemma
10-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Back in the day I always cut the boots off my old waders that had sprung too many leaks. Used them on my shore tog trips and (blasphemy) the few times I was invited on boats. Even learned that the waders, sans boots, worked good as foul weather gear when you didn't need to wade. Frugal me.

DZ

The wader boots make black marks on white boats. Not on my boat you don't.:fury:

Fishoholic
10-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Xtratufs are garbage now- fall apart with any hard work. The old ones are still awesome, though.

maybe I got a good pair, but I got some last year and wore them most of last winter/spring offshore monkfishing and they held together just fine and never once were my feet cold or sore after 14-18hr days.

RickBomba
10-26-2013, 08:09 AM
I like the Rugged Sharks. I bought them at least one size big. They fit great.

When it's warmer, I always wear the crocs.

Guppy
10-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Servus black knee high and inner sol ,,, cold weather

Sea Dangles
10-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Gray serves from New Bedford ship supply,they come with a really good footbed already.

zimmy
10-26-2013, 03:08 PM
The problem I have with the muck is that is it is not designed for the boat. The bottom get slick. And it has downright poor traction on a deck of many boats. P

Even the chikana? It is designed for boats and seems to do pretty well, but my experience in boats is limited.

Mr. Sandman
10-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah...I have been buying a pair of chikanas every year and keep last years as a back up pair or for doing stuff around the yard. They are fair when new (still nothing compared to a boat shore for traction) but get slick quick.

I want to try the rugged shark boot. http://www.alltackle.com/rugged_shark_great_white_boot_fishing_boot.jpg That looks like it is more boat grip and somewhat comfortable. Also I know shimano makes a boot but I have not tried it on.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Fishing+Boat+Boots&id=CDB83EE51665897231150FEA97ACDEA1FFB2732F&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=0BFAE5F24F97B42FF43961D9D7E8D7A480281676&selectedIndex=8