View Full Version : Workbench/Man cave set up

chefchris401
11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
so after a couple of weeks of sorting and setting up the new place, i finally had a chance to set up my workbench in the spare room, which is going to be a fishing/rod tying/jig tying/plug rigging and storage man cave.

One the long wall I did a 12 foor long by 2ft wide work table, 36.5" high, that way I can sit or stand up will wrapping rods and rigging plugs. 3/4 thick finished ply wood for the top.

on the wall a sheet of 8x4 peg board for hanging rods, assorted "nicer" plugs that havent seen water yet and reels and tools.

still need to add some more lights and storage underneath, but so far Im happy with it.

Finally nice to have a home for all my gear.

sorting some bins of random stuff out last night. was nice to just walk away from it leaving stuff on the table and not having to finish a project mid way thru or not start it for that matter.

the last plug on the right in the last pic is a beautiful big fish jointed, i misplaced like 3 years ago, good find.

WESTPORTMAFIA
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
I have plans for a peg board set up this winter. Where did you get the ones that are holding the rods? I haven't been to the depot yet to look but I looked on their website and everything seemed very expensive.

Sea Dangles
11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I may put an addition on the house for gear. Right now it is in the boat,truck,garage,cabana and cellar. I keep the coolers behind the storage shed. Some has to go but I also need more offshore gear......

RIJIMMY
11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
whats a "cabana"

Im having Barry Manilow flashbacks...

chefchris401
11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I have plans for a peg board set up this winter. Where did you get the ones that are holding the rods? I haven't been to the depot yet to look but I looked on their website and everything seemed very expensive.

Jay, the ones i bought and are using for the rods where found in the aisle with the hinges, its like that in 3 different home depots, even though they have some in another aisle all the better ones and smaller ones are in the hinge aisle.

It was 2.19 for a 4 pack, the nice thing about the small ones is they stick straight out, where the heavier duty ones have an angle to em, and will be straight once you have a decent amount of weight on them.

afterhours
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
WPM i may have a bunch of hooks laying around. i'll check tomorrow if i do you can have them.

Jackbass
11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Looks Good Chris
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Hookedagain
11-13-2012, 08:49 PM
The new place seems to be working for you. Its amazing how fast the space gets SMALL. In a year you will be rearranging to gain more space. That bench have enough room for your new spinner. I'll call you over the weekend and we can meet up.

nightfighter
11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks good, Chris. You might want to look into using ceiling rafters/joists for hooks to store those finished rods until next season and use the wall space for winter project storage/supplies. See if any local contractors are doing kitchen remodels and ask for the old cabinets.....

WESTPORTMAFIA
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM
WPM i may have a bunch of hooks laying around. i'll check tomorrow if i do you can have them.

Thanks. BTW my kid's 1st striper in the pic's I posted was on one of your small spooks or dooksters or whatever u call em:kewl:

likwid
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
I may put an addition on the house for gear. Right now it is in the boat,truck,garage,cabana and cellar. I keep the coolers behind the storage shed. Some has to go but I also need more offshore gear......

Our RE agent's husband owns boats. Thank god, she actually understands what we're looking for.

fishbones
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

I think I have a bunch of them in my basement somewhere. I'll take a look tonight and if I can find em' they're yours. I'll leave them at Joe's and you can pick them up when you meet David Letterman there this weekend.:love:

Rockfish9
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
it must feel good to have life back on track again...it looks good.

WESTPORTMAFIA
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I think I have a bunch of them in my basement somewhere. I'll take a look tonight and if I can find em' they're yours. I'll leave them at Joe's and you can pick them up when you meet David Letterman there this weekend.:love:

LMFAO! BTW I'll let you know if Bob is going to do the beach thing he talked about in the parking lot. Maybe Saturday

Jackbass
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I would definitely look into hanging the rods overhead though. Very simple solution for me is 3 3' x 6" strips of plywood 1-1/4" hole saw every 4" or cut a slot to the right or left of each hole On Two of the boards leave one with holes in tact hang the butts in the in tact hole and put the length of the rod into the slots and hang in the belly of the 1-1/4 opening.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
LMFAO! BTW I'll let you know if Bob is going to do the beach thing he talked about in the parking lot. Maybe Saturday

Sounds good. I'll give you a call later.

BTW Chris, it looks great. I've been in my house for almost 8 years and my basement looks like a crappy tackle store exploded in it. I need to get more organized this winter.

striperman36
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
still would like to see the rod bench laid out.