View Full Version : Something that has been nagging me.....

FishermanTim
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
I find almost a steady stream of notices of anglers that have passed.
Now I know that we all will go to meet our maker someday, but the vast majority of anglers who have gone all seem to have succumbed to heart issues.

Here's something to consider, if not now, then when you have some down time:

Do we really know what kind of stress fishing has on our bodies?
Do we know what effect sleep deprivation and poor diet have on our hearts?
Do we give our bodies time to fully rest up after pulling an all-nighter, or do we jokingly say "I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead"?

It seems like there may be a directy correlation between hard fishing habits and potential heart attacks.
Maybe there should be a poll to see how many anglers have suffered chronic pain/injuries directly related to fishing, how many anglers are currently taking blood pressure medication, and how many have gotten sick due to being run down from repeated all-nighters?

I'm sure that the results will speak for themselves, but really all I wanted to do was to make people think more about their health and habits and to continue to be able to fish!

Good luck to all and stay safe and healthy!

fishsmith
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I'll drink to that. ummm, mabye I shouldn't.

I say, to each there own, if you enjoy the life your living, and you're not hurting anyone else doing it, don't worry about when you die. We're all a step away from being hit by a bus anyway.

BigFish
11-15-2012, 11:16 AM
If fishing is what kills me.....I can't think of many better ways to go! Beats the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of the "Big C" and any number of other issues! You gotta live....and fishing is how I choose to do it....even if it kills me!!:uhuh:

FinS 32
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I look at it like this, I go to a college thats a notorious party school. A lot worse things I could be doing than fishing everynight. plus i have had a kidney condition in which usual leads to kidney failure. oh well. If you spend your whole life worrying about dying, really our spending your whole dying not living. thats just my take on it

piemma
11-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I find almost a steady stream of notices of anglers that have passed.
Now I know that we all will go to meet our maker someday, but the vast majority of anglers who have gone all seem to have succumbed to heart issues.

Here's something to consider, if not now, then when you have some down time:

Do we really know what kind of stress fishing has on our bodies?
Do we know what effect sleep deprivation and poor diet have on our hearts?
Do we give our bodies time to fully rest up after pulling an all-nighter, or do we jokingly say "I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead"?

It seems like there may be a directy correlation between hard fishing habits and potential heart attacks.
Maybe there should be a poll to see how many anglers have suffered chronic pain/injuries directly related to fishing, how many anglers are currently taking blood pressure medication, and how many have gotten sick due to being run down from repeated all-nighters?

I'm sure that the results will speak for themselves, but really all I wanted to do was to make people think more about their health and habits and to continue to be able to fish!

Good luck to all and stay safe and healthy!

So if it breaks, fix it.
I've fished 100+ night a year for 40+ years. Major MI in 97, 4 stents, quad bypass in 2003, diagnosed with Mr C in 2006. Still fishing 100+ night a year. I hope to God I drop dead, face first onto the sand the way Charlie Murat and Tim Coleman did.

fishsmith
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
So if it breaks, fix it.
I've fished 100+ night a year for 40+ years. Major MI in 97, 4 stents, quad bypass in 2003, diagnosed with Mr C in 2006. Still fishing 100+ night a year. I hope to God I drop dead, face first onto the sand the way Charlie Murat and Tim Coleman did.

I by no means want to see you go, but what you have there is awesome :claps: and congrats on kicking the ass of ailments that tried to slow you down!!

MAKAI
11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
If I'm behind you can I take you stuff ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Most.. if not all of my injuries and aches and pains can be traced back to fishing, hunting or trapping... I could count on one hand how many times I have said i was too tired, too beat up or too sick to fish... they haven't created the calculator with enough momory to count how many times I WANTED to say all of the above about going to work..lifes what you make of it... we all grow old... most of us live with aches and paines...I'd rather live my life.. as short as long as it may be.. doing what I enjoy... and sitting around growing old, waiting to die isn't in the cards..

JFigliuolo
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Lack of Sleep Linked to Heart Problems - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1868406,00.html)

RIJIMMY
11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
most fisherman are men
heart disease is the leading killer of men
pretty simple formula?

chefchris401
11-15-2012, 01:10 PM
So if it breaks, fix it.

Good for you Paul.

everyone has health issues, this year was tough on me, sleep apena, weight gain, upper respiratory infection in the spring.

Instead of fishing harder I started fishing smarter, really reviewed my logs, kept my fishing all nighters to only a few, and put more time in during peak hours and it paid off. broke my pb numerous times and was rewarded with bigger and better fish.

also changed my diet and exercise routines, listened to my body and rested when I needed it.

No one in my family has lived pass 68 years old on both sides, so im making the changes now so I can keep doing what I love. that fact alone is a huge wake up call to me.

Fishing is one hobby/passion/obsession and Im happiest when Im doing it so going to keep at it, its the worse thing I do, like i tell my lady Im not out drinking, drugging, hanging out with losers, etc. I fish.

Mike Laptew posted a great pic of a spirit of john habs fishing some great looking surf the other day on FB, made me think about everyone that has passed away from our sport/community.

Mike P
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I think that Flap had some congenital issue with his heart, that some tall individuals seem to carry with them. As far as I know, he had none of the usual lifestyle issues that can cause heart disease. He didn't smoke, at least for the years that I knew him, he wasn't overweight, and I never saw him drink alcohol at any gathering I was at with him. He gave a lot of credit to his cardiologist for keeping him alive, during the chats I had with him (sadly, far too few over the years).

Hardcore
11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
You spend your whole life dying evey day that passes is one day closer to death. Fishing makes me feel alive! If it kills me at least I would have lived.

Fish hard! The air we breath is full of #^&#^&#^&#^& the food we eat is full antibiotics and steroids and kinds of bad #^&#^&#^&#^&. Work will harm you mentally and physically. Maybe I should stop working :p

Jimbo
11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Along the lines of If it's broken fix it, An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you know your body and you see your doctor regularly and you take a few minutes to search out the contributing factors for heart disease and take the appropriate steps if there's some you've fallen victim to, those are things you have quite a bit of control over. If you can do that, then you won't be needing to plan your quick and glorious death at your favorite spot.
I too am a recent cancer survivor and spent over a year in that hell, and I'll tell ya it's no different. You're smart people you fishermen, be aware of yourselves and do not put off seeing a doctor if something's just not right.

piemma
11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
If I'm behind you can I take you stuff ?

Yup, unless my nephews beat you to it.:rotf2:

Jackbass
11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
At the age of 26 I had my first Heart cath. My grandfather died of Congestive heart failure Directly related to AAA My great uncle survived the AAA My father has an aneurysm that is watched closely. I have atrial fibrillation and have been on beta blockers since I was 27. My father has had quadruple bypass once Due to 97% blockage. He then had a single bypass a year later to repair another blockage. My mother's father had rheumatoid arthritis and her mother died of Colon cancer.

I'm destined to die young. To be honest with you the way I lived in my 20s I'm amazed I made it my 30's.

Healthwise I feel great. Fishing is the least of my worries.

FishermanTim
11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
I agree that you should do whatever you want, for as long as you want!
All I'm saying is that some of the things we do (and have done in the past) could be strong contributing factors for an early dirt nap.
That doesn't mean no more fishing, but maybe better fishing.

I spent the past 4-5 months dealing with cellulitis in my left leg.
It ruined most of my summer and put me in the hospital all of last week. I want to do what I can to get back into good health, but I know that has/will entail a lot less fishing. I was lucky enough to be able to make a few canal trips and quite a few freshwater kayak trips before the stuff hit the fan last week.

I plan on doing what I can to ensure I will have the opportunity to continue getting out next year!

Grapenuts
11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
most fisherman are men
heart disease is the leading killer of men
pretty simple formula?

I have to disagree w/this....woman put men in the ground faster.

Swimmer
11-15-2012, 05:43 PM
So if it breaks, fix it.

You don't know me but if that happens can I have all your stuff?:rotf2:

bart
11-15-2012, 07:18 PM
something to think about when pulling all nighters...
FDA Investigates Deaths Possibly Linked To 5-Hour Energy CBS Boston (http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/11/15/fda-investigates-deaths-possibly-linked-to-5-hour-energy/)

Rob Rockcrawler
11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
something to think about when pulling all nighters...
FDA Investigates Deaths Possibly Linked To 5-Hour Energy CBS Boston (http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/11/15/fda-investigates-deaths-possibly-linked-to-5-hour-energy/)

I heard something about that the other day. Probably the day i bought a few for a fishing trip. I usually only drink half though, they do the trick if your not already tired.

I dont live a very healthy lifestyle at all on a regular basis, it gets worse when im fishing a lot. Coffee, nicotine, simple carbs and peanuts do not make for a good diet.

maddog2020
11-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Family genetics is something you can't fight. Sure if you take good care of yourself: eat right (avoid fast food & processed foods) & exercise that will buy you some time, but the harsh reality is we are all going to DIE some day. :P

Living a good clean healthy life doesn't mean you are going to live a long time. My Mom made it to just 61. My Dad's youngest brother died when he was just 44. My grandfather (Dad's side) had asthma and I never would have thought he would have lived to his mid 70s.

I hate to admit I have fished ZERO times this year. NOT once freshwater and there is a reservoir less than a mile from me. What I have been doing?! Working my job, trying to keep my teenage daughter from turning all my hair white & crunch through my divorce (2 yrs in the process..... MA really BITES period).

Hanging out w/ some friends when they have time to get together and just trying to make ends meet. I go out walking/hiking just to get some exercise. I use to think walking is a joke and it doesn't work - WRONG: walking is easy, low impact and it does work. LOL, I'm in better shape now that I have been in the last 15 yrs!! Nothing comes easy as you get older - get off your butts and move around before you body collapses on you.

Sorry to hear of folks physical woes. Just a part of aging. FIX your diet now before it is too late, get off of pills & get out and walk! Peace to all.

striperman36
11-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a reason to become a canal fisherman

rizzo
11-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Your heart needs rest, 7-8 hours of sleep. So lack of sleep stresses it and its proven sleep deprivation will take years off your life. Fish a little smarter, hit the key windows and save the sleep deprivation for those times when its really worth it.

piemma
11-16-2012, 08:31 AM
You don't know me but if that happens can I have all your stuff?:rotf2:

You will have to stand in line.:biglaugh:

MAKAI
11-16-2012, 08:39 AM
My " friends " have already figured out the allocation of all my gear.

Who gets what and why.

JohnnyD
11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
My " friends " have already figured out the allocation of all my gear.

Who gets what and why.
"Friends"?? There's no plural to that. I thought we've already decided that I get everything you have that's gold and has "VS" in its name, as long as I wheel you out near the water when you're crippled and drooling on yourself.

Also, why do you think I try to fish with you so much... just in case you end up going the way you'd like: "Rod doubled over, tied into a 60lber with a S*&^-eating grin on my face."

MAKAI
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm crippled and drool all over myself now.

JohnnySaxatilis
11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Habit forming use of 5HE probly isnt good for you, just like anything in excess isn't. But that shiz has saved my life a few times both preventing dozing at the wheel, and just getting through a work/school day with a good attitude.

That said my diet is terrible when I fish. Usually all fast food, coffee, trail mix. Things gotta change before all that stuff starts catching up to me

FishermanTim
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
What I love about the 5 hour energy drink story is the story stating that the link is "possible".

What they don't (or won't) disclose is that probably ALL the cases involved a person taking MORE than the recommended dose, usually because they were drunk/drinking and thought that taking 2 or more "doses" would counteract the alcohol/drugs.

Basically they OD on energy drink.

What I find ironically funny is that no other energy drink ad states the key statement that 5 Hour Energy does: "Try a little to see if you like it!" (How many energy drink ads advocate NOT drinking the hole can/bottle?)
If that doesn't sound like responsible marketing I don't know what does.

Like I said, the problem stems from abuse and misuse than just regular use.

JohnnyD
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM
What I love about the 5 hour energy drink story is the story stating that the link is "possible".
Here's the thing that gets me...

If there is any loose correlation between 5 hour energy and those deaths, the company will be sued and the product likely forced off the market. With that in mind, how many deaths are *directly linked* to smoking or alcohol every single minute? The hypocrisy is excruciating within our society is excruciating.

The Dad Fisherman
11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Any 5 Hour Energy Lobbyists?

FinS 32
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Any 5 Hour Energy Lobbyists?

or even a clint bowyer reference

stripermaineiac
11-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Funny, When I'm fishing i don't think of taxes,bills,work,poletics an all the rest of the stressfull garbage.i see stuff you never see on TV an meet so many great people out there that a bad day of it is better than most good days. So if it kills me someday well so what. at least the journey will be filled with great times with good people.Better than worryin if i'm too tired an then not enjoying all those good times.