View Full Version : good gear on sale

bobber
11-16-2012, 05:25 PM
not sure how many people on here have used Colton fly rods and/or reels- they are a small company out of Pennsylvania that makes GREAT stuff (and its all made in the USA!!) they make stuff for all kindsa flyfishing (from trout to Tuna- literally) and their reels are smooth and powerful.

and- NOW THEY ARE 35-45% OFF THROUGH JANUARY 15TH!!!

CHECK IT OUT-

flyvice11787
11-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Is it made in the USA? Not too sure about that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bobber
11-17-2012, 04:27 PM
From my converstaions with the owner, the reels are made in the US, and rods are made in England..... (sorry for not being clear on that)

I own 2 set-ups (9 & 10wt) and really like them both....... and at the price they are right now you can't go wrong:jump1:

bobber
11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I've known Bob (the owner of ColtonFly) for a few years now and have talked at length with him about his manufacturing and marketing practices..... I have every confidence that the stuff is GENUINE and is made in the USA as he has always maintained. he has had many doubters over the years and none have ever gotten anywhere with allegations of being made overseas somewhere....

so flame away- leaves more good gear for the rest of us...

Roger
11-18-2012, 10:34 AM
First it's...

and its all made in the USA!!

Then it's...

From my converstaions with the owner, the reels are made in the US, and rods are made in England.....

And for now it's...

I have every confidence that the stuff is GENUINE and is made in the USA as he has always maintained.

If such a good friend of his can't seem to get it straight, what are the rest of us supposed to think?

bobber
11-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry I ever posted this, since its seemingly becoming a war of allegations- Harry is good at that it seems

but if yer really interested I can give you Bob's number and you can call for yerself. then you can decide for yourself......

Roger
11-19-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry I ever posted this, ...

Agreed. You didn't do Colton any favors by posting conflicting information about their products, then becoming negative instead of simply clarifying. So I guess it's "buyer beware."

You've convinced me to avoid this sale.

wader-dad
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Roger- you appear to me to be an extremely annoying human.

Jeez- the guy is trying to help us out with a good sale. Relax

Roger
11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Roger- you appear to me to be an extremely annoying human.

If you can't be constructive, STFU
Good manners prevent me from insulting you as you seem to enjoy doing to others.

wader-dad
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Last time I looked England was not Malaysia. So it is not like Bobber claimed something was US made and it was made in the Pacific Rim.

I think my post was very constructive. It was intended to help you be a more tolerant person before Thanksgiving.

Roger
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Last time I looked England was not Malaysia. So it is not like Bobber claimed something was US made and it was made in the Pacific Rim.

I think my post was very constructive. It was intended to help you be a more tolerant person before Thanksgiving.

You are not making any sense. Clearly, your comprehension skills about this thread are as lacking as your character. You are not someone I would ever want to emulate - not even close.

I will no longer respond to your posts, regardless of your poor manners, name calling and ignorance of the topic. Any coward can spew BS from behind a fake name.

JoeBass
11-28-2012, 01:23 PM
lol. wow.

Bronko
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
So, where are we on this sale?

JackK
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Colton stuff isn't bad. I hate the rods- zero feel to them, fast action broomsticks. But there's a new model (XS) that may be a bit better (for my hands, at least). I still think you need to use a fly rod before you buy it.

I have a CRG-II of his that I like- for the price it's a good reel. Well constructed, solid drag (although a bit touchy to set, especially at higher amounts). The spool has an annoying tendency to rotate while casting, reeling up your stripping line. Minor PIA but I don't think that outweighs all you get for the cost. I know a few people who really like the Torrents, haven't used one myself. Only complaint I've heard from a friend who has one is that there's a little play between the spool and the frame... potentially enough for backing to get through, and then snap.

I think the BLANKS are made in England, then the rods are built in the USA. AFAIK the reels are wholly manufactured here. But I don't know this for a fact.

Colton has an almost cult-like following on the other site. I don't quite get it. It's quality mid level gear, at beginner prices when on sale... that's about it. I'll take any of my Sage/Scott blanks over the Colton's I've thrown. And the reels, while nice, are not the same quality as an Abel or a Tibor. But they're not priced that way and not meant to compete in the same market.

My advice- take a look at the reels, specifically the CRG. For the price you can't go wrong. But I'd pass on the rods, unless you like them really, really, fast.