View Full Version : Deer in the yard

Hookedagain
11-22-2012, 07:39 AM
For the past few winters now we have anywhere from 1 to around 8 deer in the yard nightly. Does....Bucks....Fawns...we have it all. So my son and I watch them all the time. We are at the point that we can open the slider, step out on the deck and just stand there and watch them. This year they seem more inquisitive than ever before. They are coming within 28 yards of the deck (Jake hit them with the range finder). Last night he yelled to me from across the house...."Dad! The deer are wicked close". When I opened the blinds....he was right. Two does about 18-20 yards from the house. So as we always do, I opened the slider and stepped out. HOLY CRAP....to our surprise there was an 8 pointed laying in the mulch bed under the window we usually look out on the side of the deck. He jumped up as startled as we were. He didn't spook though, he just walked over toward the does and munched on the grass with them. Taht was until some other deer arrived, including a 6 pointer. Thats when all hell broke loose! What a sparing match took place all over the back yard. At one point they actually slammed into the deck around the pool. Very impressive to watch. I have been a hunter for around 28 years and never saw two bucks fight before. I have heard it but never witnessed it. It lasted about 3-4 minutes and when it was over my son and I looked at each other and said....why didn't we take pictures of that??

Well, it really doesn't matter, it was just cool that he and I watched it. I am going to go get one of my trail cameras and hang it on the pool deck and see what we get.

iamskippy
11-22-2012, 07:51 AM
3 questions!
1) drinking?
2) video?
3) new guests for thanksgiving?

Hookedagain
11-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Thought about having them as a Thanksgiving guest. I don't shoot in the dark so that idea went out the window.

It happened so fast I didn't even think about shooting video or taking pictures.

Drinking? I wish.....I quit drinking over 7b years ago.

PRBuzz
11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
.....I quit drinking over 7b years ago.

That's about 2X older than the earth? 7b = 7 billion?

Thought you might be an ET?:)

spence
11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
That's about 2X older than the earth? 7b = 7 billion?

Thought you might be an ET?:)

Lower case "b" usually denotes "Bong Years".

-spence

Hookedagain
11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
7b=fat fingers and the hunt and peck method.

NEXT2NUN
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Cool story. I thought you couldn't hunt in Somerset at all. Some times i have to wait for them to get out of my driveway so i can leave the house . I've had them stomp there feet at me, as if i'm getting to close to them.

Hookedagain
11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
You can't discharge a firearm within city limits,however you can bowhunt. No hunting on town property, but on private land it is legal. Also, you can discharge a firearm below the mean high tide mark. So duck hunting is allowed as long as you are in the right area.

Next2nun are you in So,erset as well?

NEXT2NUN
11-24-2012, 03:19 PM
No i work with a couple guys from Somerset. Im in Dartmouth