View Full Version : Quaker Lane Bait and Tackle

Sparfish
06-03-2003, 01:29 PM
I am realatively a novice fisherman and just moved to North Kingstown. Two miles from my house I was pleasantly surprised to see an anglers oasis that close to my home, Quaker Lane Bait and Tackle. Not to mention there is a Packie Store across the street.

I stopped in a month ago and John (I believe the owner) had finished up work for the day but took the time to help me out and give me some tips on tackle to use. Very kind and not condesending and snobish as a lot of fisherman can be to newbies looking for advice.

Go to Exit 6 from Rt 4 south in RI, go Rt 2 south, and it is 2 miles on your right. Or from Rt 4 north take Exit 5 and go 1/2 mile north on Rt 2 and it's on your left.

Great service and selection!

Thanks Guys!

MakoMike
06-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Spar,
Different folks, different impressions. I've been in there three times looking to pick up various bits and pieces. O.K. it was the weekend, but the place was jammed and service was unattainable. I also wasn't particularly impressed by the prices. I've yet to buy anything there yet, since I refuse to wait a half hour or more to have someone take my money for overpriced tackle.

Sparfish
06-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Where do you go for tackle with better prices?

Scotch Bonnet
06-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I try to support the sponsors of this site and also support the B&T in my town. Price to me is unimportant, if it was I'd be at Wallymart, etc. Service and Knowledge are way more important in my book, I'll pay more for that.

Johnny C
06-03-2003, 08:29 PM
We (the people who care enough about fishing to spend time on this board) should spend our money at the establishments of like minded people. NOT WALMART OR BENNY"S OR #^&#^&#^&#^&S ect.
Rather than just seeing Don or Charlie or whoever else when you need advise or an eel, we should fork over the extra $$ that those types of guys need to charge to compete and forge a livelyhood when we need a reel, rod, korkers or plugs.
I am fairly new to the forum, but have met some of you on the beach I am sure.
Bottom line is Walmart could care less about our business, and I am sure the independent guys

blackeye
06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
who else will put your eels from their mailbox for you to pick up at 3AM? fine by me

NilsC
06-03-2003, 09:46 PM
The nice thing about the local tackle shop is that:

it's part of or will be part of that areas history.
Knowledge are passed (in appropriate portions) to the uninitiated.
If you hang around long enough... there are some truth to the stories told... hehe and you may get a good tips. But... if you don't follow up with your own walk on the beach / rocks / jettty to check. You'll never know where the truth is.

Walmart.... hmmmmmm

even I can get a job as the local expert..... gzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Nils the :jester: :humpty: :hs: :hihi: :whackin:

JohnR
06-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by blackeye
who else will put your eels from their mailbox for you to pick up at 3AM? fine by me Or behind the toilet as you race 90 miles to hit a tide... Find a couple good shops, build a repoir with the people that own / work their and it will pay dividends...

Raven
06-04-2003, 07:00 AM
the one in my area does not have even one saltwater anything!
only freshwater stuff... so now..... i dont ever think of them.Sometimes its a matter of how much time you have too.
and with walfart, i aint waisting my time. besides they don't have any knowledge of any recent fishing news either.:af: :smash:

MarkL
06-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Quaker Lane has the best selection of plugs and rods in that area. He'll have more help in the summer from his kids and a young guide that works out of the shop. I fish from Warwick to Charlestown and his shop takes the cake. Prices do need to come down a bit.

ThrowingTimber
06-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Guys there have always been great to me. With advice and stuff etc.

JohnR
06-04-2003, 07:54 AM
I've been going to Quaker Lane off & on for 5-6 years. Great Eel selection - which is important to me - very decent selection of plugs, jigs, tackle. Usually OK service but often disorganized behind the counter - not quick at moving the line sometimes. The girl that used to work there was great though, nice kid, pretty quick - summer job. Prices are high.

MakoMike
06-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Guys,
I'm all for supporting a local shop that gives good advice and service. (eels in the mailbox is a good thing :D ). My point was that the three times I've been in there I couldn't even get someone to take my money, nevermind give advice. There were three people working, two guys and a girl and the wait at the counter was well over a half hour. Slightly high prices I can live with, if its accompanied by service and good advice. Wallyworld will at least take my money in the blink of an eye. I'm still looking for a good tackle shop, Quaker lane doesn't cut it for me. As for their selection, they do have a big selection of rods but the rest of their stuff doesn't have the variety I would like to see.

06-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Ron @ Breachway Bait & Tackle has been treating me right for years, I have no reason to shop anywhere else.......!!