View Full Version : Conrad Peanut & Slopehead Jrs

chefchris401
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Picked these bodies up off of ebay for short money. I love having originals for reference and the fact that they were turned by the man himself is pretty cool.

2 pichney slopehead jrs 5 1/2"

1 pichney Conrad jr, Thought the jr was a peanut Conrad at first.

dug up Prof M's how to post on em, here it is if someone needs it:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/67868-conrad-info.html

Will hopefully get around to making some of these this winter, I have a few spots where I know these would do really well on the outgoing tide.

Thanks again Prof for that post, will be very helpful.

ProfessorM
11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Good score on the peanut. Seen plenty of the slopes for sale but hardly a peanut. Things swim really good. I had to borrow one from Steve McKenna to get all the info. The lips will be the problem, or not, for you but I am sure you can find something close. Don't forget to make a few of the peanuts with eelskin grooves, they work great for that. Have fun. P.

chefchris401
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
the peanut is actually 5 1/2" which would make it a conrad jr.

either way pretty excited to have some originals:love:

and yes Paul i will be making some eel skin versions, i did really well on skin plugs last year, even have a few skins left, one of which is big enough for grs pikie or similar :uhuh:

ProfessorM
11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
ah yeah now that you said that it does look same size as the one in front of it. Make a few peanuts than too. Where are the lips on those plugs?

chefchris401
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
ah yeah now that you said that it does look same size as the one in front of it. Make a few peanuts than too. Where are the lips on those plugs?

they were never rigged, just painted and stashed away. Supposedly some "estate find", I also purchased 3 pichney atom 40s, never fished but rigged, those should be in this week too.

Any idea what kind of paint/topcoat he used? Or what would look/feel like the originals.

Ill like to make some repros and paint em like the originals, been looking at the surfplugology page on bassdozer for info and paint ideas.

ProfessorM
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
paint that isn't available anymore in these day of com pliancy. Probably some lead infused house paint or something and some toxic top coat. The A 40's are a good find too. I got a beater and hope to make a few this winter.

lazzyone
11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I've been playing around with the conrad this season. Without an original and your specs prof m, I was having trouble getting the plug dialed in. A few weeks back my wife dragged me out to go antiquing and low and behold hanging on the wall was a Pichney Conrad in great condition for $10. Couldnt help myself when I found some herring the other night and had to give it a test swim. Got this little guy. Any clue as to what wood Pichney used?

ProfessorM
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Good deal on the plug. He used pine probably which carried the long belly wgt. And he also used maple which used no belly wgt. I imagine he used what ever he could get his hands on and adjusted the wgt. for the wood. I like to use AYC. I find it to be fine with the called out wgt.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device