View Full Version : Moths last night

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
There was a mass suicide last night. Anyone notice? None tonight.

striperman36
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Hundreds up here tonight
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
These moths are winter months and are invasive. They are going to wreak havoc on hardwoods and fruit trees. :(

Hookedagain
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
After reading this I went outside to check....there are two around the light. Last night my son and I were getting firewood and they (moths) were everywhere.

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
These moths are winter months and are invasive. They are going to wreak havoc on hardwoods and fruit trees. :(

How long do they stick around? All winter? There were millions of them last night and only maybe a few tonight.

Nebe
12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
All winter. They move around a bit I think. Here one day gone the next.

The Dad Fisherman
12-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I noticed last night around my neck of the woods....they were everywhere.

HighTide
12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
My dog eats them off the sliding glass door. Pretty funny to watch from inside.

ProfessorM
12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Cats ate having a ball. Been out here for a good week or 2. Was waiting for them to start, again. There goes
my blueberries again. I pray I get the chemicals on them in time this year. Between them and the gypsy moths our trees are going to look bad agaIn this year by looks of the quanity of the moths.

beaver
12-05-2012, 10:00 AM
These are the little worms that chewed up all your leaves in the spring. They bury themselves in the ground for the summer and then the males emerge in the late fall as moths. The females do not have wings but crawl up your trees to lay their eggs. When the eggs hatch in the spring the larvae decimate the foliage. They have really become a major PIA over the past few years.

You don't need to worry about the moths themselves and they'll usually be seen flying around as long as the weather isn't too bad. If there is an abundance of the moths this fall it could mean there will be a bunch of worms in the spring.

paradoxjim
12-05-2012, 10:15 AM
It was like driving through a snowstorm in So. County a couple of nights ago and I must have had a hundred in the garage before I closed the door. There were only a couple around last night. It sounds like they have a significant geographic range based upon all of the responses here. It won't be pretty next summer :(

fishbones
12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
We've had them the last couple of days but not as bad as last year. Always seems to happen when we get a couple of days of warmer weather. Last year we had them really bad for 2 days and when it got cold, they dissapeared.

Rockfish9
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
the last three nights have been bad, last night i cleaned out the plug sealing dip tank, so I had the shop door open with a fan blowing out taking advantage of the warm night... damn things invaded the shop.. I spent a half an hour s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g them up with a shop vac.

vineyardblues
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
all over the outside of my house

ProfessorM
12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
been talking about these buggers for a while now

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/scuppers/70166-winter-moths.html

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/scuppers/67591-winter-moths.html

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/scuppers/36119-winter-moths.html