View Full Version : Fiberstar composites 1266

numbskull
12-04-2012, 07:09 AM
What is the story on these blanks Fiber Star Composites (http://northeastrodbuilders.com/stufftobuy/fiberstarcomposites.html)
Anybody have any experience with them? They seemed to have slipped under my (and most other's) radar. Obviously a smaller company with less marketing presence.

They have 3 versions a 1266, 1266x, and 1266w (all 2 piece) that use different modular graphites.
10' 6" with an action that tries to reduplicate an Allstar 1266 (med fast?....not a rod I am familiar with)
They weigh 6.5 oz, which puts them in the same general range as the CTS rods.

How does it compare to the CTS line. Is it faster than a VT 2-4 but softer than a PJ1006? Is it like a Loomis 1266?
How do the three different versions compare to each other?

I'm looking for something lighter and a bit but not too much faster than a GSB1201M that will throw 1-3 spinning all night without wearing me out, yet still have the stopping power of something more than a GSB1201L , VT 1-3, or Stealth 10 ( more in line with the 1M).

numbskull
12-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Here is another link to their site itself (you need to click on the link near the bottom of the page that says price charts to get a PDF of their line) FiberStar Composites (http://fiberstarcomposites.com/product.html)

Interesting

JohnR
12-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Yep, interesting - USA Made Blank manufacturer - I do hope they make it.

Bronko
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Hey George. I can't help you with the comparisons since I only held the blank and didn't cast it. But this spring (end of May) I was fishing the Brewster flats at first light. An older guy and I were fishing a few hundred yards apart and having a great morning. When everyting died down we met at the lot at the same time. He had the 10'6 and loved it. He claims he aslo had the CTS but now that sits at home due since he got the new FS. I don't think he is an internet guy and his name escapes me, but I can tell you he raved about the blank. I had never heard about them until that point and hadn't since until you posted this.

Sgt Striper
12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
What is the story on these blanks Fiber Star Composites (http://northeastrodbuilders.com/stufftobuy/fiberstarcomposites.html)
Anybody have any experience with them? They seemed to have slipped under my (and most other's) radar. Obviously a smaller company with less marketing presence.

They have 3 versions a 1266, 1266x, and 1266w (all 2 piece) that use different modular graphites.
10' 6" with an action that tries to reduplicate an Allstar 1266 (med fast?....not a rod I am familiar with)

How does it compare to the CTS line. Is it faster than a VT 2-4 but softer than a PJ1006? Is it like a Loomis 1266?

I'm looking for something lighter and a bit but not too much faster than a GSB1201M that will throw 1-3 spinning all night without wearing me out, yet still have the stopping power of something more than a GSB1201L , VT 1-3, or Stealth 10 ( more in line with the 1M).

George, Have you tried a Century SS1265? 1-3 and it will throw the range with little effort and great distance. And yes it if you need to put the screws to a fish it is very capable. You can also cut it to 10' :uhuh:
Give one a try before you buy.

chefchris401
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
George contact the guy on sol who owns the company, seems like a good guy trying to fill a niche with their line of rods.

You'll probably fine more people on that site that have used/owned one before too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stripermaineiac
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi George, I just got off the phone with the guy. Sounds like a good product an home grown. I'm thinkin about gettin a couple of his blanks an buildin them to have at the show for people to see. I'd much rather put my time n money behind a quality American made product. So if you or anyone else see's one thaqt strikes a cord so to speak let me know and that's what I'll get from him. I'm lookin at 2 to 3 blanks as money isn't something i have loads of LOL. I'll probably use K frames and or low riders in alconite on them with American tackle reel seats or fuji wrap on in the build. So something for you an others to think about.Let me know an tight lines Ron-Striper Maine-iac

Saltheart
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I think SOL rodboard guy Surfmaster250 is the principal in the company. You could post there or PM him.

I think for what you describe , the newer Century Stealth 2 (second generation Stealth2) is a good match. Yes its 11 feet but it has what you appear to be looking for. My guess is that you could try one out by meeting with Chefchris or BigDave.

I have not seen a Fiberstar yet but he's been talking a little about them over on SOL for over a year. These are also the blanks they built on to do the most recent distance casting trials with various guide styles that Billy organized. As I remember all guide styles and layouts were almost exactly the same in casting distance except for the Low rider guides which performed poorly . Of course that depends a lot on the exact layout (especially with low riders) but in general those test results describe the blanks a little.

Mike P
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
When he and Ryan White were doing that Century demo at the fish pier, Mike Kulich told me that you could cut one of their blanks without voiding the warranty? It that a Century policy, or his as the US distributor?

chefchris401
12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
When he and Ryan White were doing that Century demo at the fish pier, Mike Kulich told me that you could cut one of their blanks without voiding the warranty? It that a Century policy, or his as the US distributor?

That's the policy over here Mike, Mike and Ryan handle all the US stuff.

Some blanks like the 1328,1327 and 1449 can be cut from the butt without issue of warranty or performance. Those rods are the slingshot series, mod fast action

The other line, stealth can be cut from the tip, more parabolic action.

Some rods like the SPOD where the fibers are rolled and constructed in certain ways it is not suggested to cut them.

chefchris401
12-04-2012, 01:17 PM
George, if you want I have the stealth and slingshot in those ratings and your welcome to try them. Just putting it out there, maybe they will fit your needs, maybe not, but better than wiggling a blank around.

numbskull
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks Chris.

I'm familiar with the 10' Stealth S1 and am looking for something with a bit more power. I've also looked at the Century 1265 a while back but felt it was a bit light action wise for what I want. The same goes for the VT 1-3 (and maybe the PJ2004 but I'm not sure about that one). I want a blank optimized to throw 3 oz stuff but that will balance well with a small reel and not beat me up using it.

I remember reading something someone wrote about one of the CTS VT models being a "GSB1321M on steriods". I think what I am looking for is a "GSB1201M/XRA1204 on steriods".....something with the same power range but lighter and a bit crisper.

Big Dave
12-04-2012, 05:54 PM
If you thought the Century 1265 was a to light in action you may find the 1267 to be perfect. Rated at 2-5 its a 3 oz wonder rod. No kidding.

FinS 32
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM
If you thought the Century 1265 was a to light in action you may find the 1267 to be perfect. Rated at 2-5 its a 3 oz wonder rod. No kidding.

absolutly, for the way and the places i fish, even jersey, that is my favorite rod in the slingshot series. i love it

Mr. Krinkle
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I just did some research on Fiberstar. They are made in Pennsylvania, but the blacks are made in Wooldand, Washington state....coincidentally, the same town as Lamiglas. Maybe they are from the same factory??? Seems strange to me.

Mike P
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Plus, I can throw a SP Minnow on it no problem.

Fibrestar
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM

numbskull, You can email me if you have any questions. If your looking for real world experiance with my blanks ask on some of the other forums there are many using the rods.

The blanks are made in the USA and in Woodland and not by Lamiglas! There are at least 8 graphite rollers in Woodland alone besides it doesn't matter who makes them really. They are of my design and made under a private label exclusive contract!

Ron, it was good talking to you on Tues. hope to hear from you again! Take care.

Fibrestar
12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Hello, Numbskull Contact me if you have questions or place a post on the main page of SOL many there are fishing the rods and should comment. At this time most of my dealers are in NJ and one in MTK so many in New England have not seen the rods yet!!

Ron, good talking to you and hope to here from you soon!!

Fibrestar
12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I just did some research on Fiberstar. They are made in Pennsylvania, but the blacks are made in Wooldand, Washington state....coincidentally, the same town as Lamiglas. Maybe they are from the same factory??? Seems strange to me. There are 8 graphite rollers in Woodland alone both of the Loomis's and Lamiglas are the most popular. My blanks are made under a private label contract deal for me.

JohnR
12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Hello, Numbskull Contact me if you have questions or place a post on the main page of SOL many there are fishing the rods and should comment. At this time most of my dealers are in NJ and one in MTK so many in New England have not seen the rods yet!!

Ron, good talking to you and hope to here from you soon!!

No - talk here - not over there :rotf2:

BTW - Welcome to S-B - good to see another local US blank (even if made under a private label exclusive contract ;) )

Fibrestar
12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks John, The Private label contract is kind of the same as what Ryan with Century has or Rich from CTS . They are US distributers and use the companies name on the product.

My product is USA made so I can't use the companies name that makes the blanks since we are both in the USA. That and I am a manufactuer so I have my own name and are not affiliated at all with the the blank company. I could take my designs and go to any other company and have them made.

My designs are my designs. Other companies can't have them made for them so it's called Private Label contract. It's an OEM kind of deal!! So when the time comes I can manufactuer my own blanks in my own factory and not worry about owning the designs.

bart
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I think what I am looking for is a "GSB1201M/XRA1204 on steriods".....something with the same power range but lighter and a bit crisper.

I know others will disagree, but the 10 ft 1pc Lami SSU which has since been discontinued, epitomizes what you just described.

numbskull
12-10-2012, 06:07 AM
I know others will disagree, but the 10 ft 1pc Lami SSU which has since been discontinued, epitomizes what you just described.

Yes and no. I looked hard at the SSU 1201m and almost bought a blank several times but the rod tends to feel heavy to me and there had been enough blank failures that I kept having doubts.

I did buy a GSB 1201m and test cast it with a smaller reel and light guide set up but it seemed sluggish (even though I like slower rods). What I think is happening is that as the outfit weight drops by using a lighter reel and lighter guides I can generate more rod speed and hence want a slightly faster and lighter blank than the GSB, but still a rod with similar power to the

bart
12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm surprised you found the SSU slightly heavy. To me it's super light AND powerful.

I think most of the issues were with the 11 ft blank, but I would be hesitant too if I hadn't abused mine for the last 5 years and know how tough it is. Love this this rod. I was running through the canal woods chasing fish the first day of Nov. I tripped and fell right on the thing. Thought for sure I was going to snap it on the next 20lb fish. But no, continued to bail fish the whole tide...

But the 1M is proven so i totally get that...

shadow
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Look at a vapor trial 4 to 8 I know it's not 10 ft but it feels like it's 10 ft bc it's so light. Also don't be discouraged buy the rating it's not a true 4 to 8. It's become my go to stick when looking to stop big fish and iv always been a 1201 m guy.

Fibrestar
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
My main man just finished up working with Paulie at MTK on a new blank and guide layout for it. This blank is 11' and is designed to be a total GSB with big balls. Rated 1-5oz and it is a Killer IMO of course!! It was designed for MTK,Block, Cutty and the CC canal. A real rock banger type!!

Oh and nunbskull ahh little FYI. The 1266W will be discontinued in Jan. and a new series is coming out!!

stripermaineiac
12-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a nice American made option to some of the high end imports. Be nice for the fishing comunitee to spend more on home made products of good quality. It's one of the reason the custom plug industry is still strong. I've built a lot of Century an like them but I'll go American made as much as I can to keep my neighbor payin his share of the tax bill instead of drinkin beer on my taxes while I work.LOL

Fibrestar
12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a nice American made option to some of the high end imports. Be nice for the fishing comunitee to spend more on home made products of good quality. It's one of the reason the custom plug industry is still strong. I've built a lot of Century an like them but I'll go American made as much as I can to keep my neighbor payin his share of the tax bill instead of drinkin beer on my taxes while I work.LOL

Not get on a rant!! I feel the same way about Made in USA and not just fishing stuff, I been called a fool and ignorant for expressing it but I beleive it can make a difference! I feel that the Walmart mentality has run rampant and soon enough people will realize what needs to happen. I am talking mostly about Asian made as some of the British and the under there's make some decent rods and other products !!

I rather Drink beer while I work and pay my taxes!! LOL.. not really I hate taxes but like beer!!

striper junkie
12-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Hmmm I'm on the other site quite a bit and still managed to miss the talk on these. Anyone up in New England going to be carrying them?

surfguy
12-18-2012, 08:50 AM
The Fiberstar are great fishing rods. Great blank designs, quailty workmanship and components and good layouts. I fish a couple of the Predator series and love them. As John mentioned I have one from the new line he is putting out. I have been fishing mtk for a years and fished there quite a bit with John this year. He decided to have this new line setup specifically to fish that type of environment. He asked me to setup it up for that. I spent a day out there test casting with Paulie with that setup. They layout is done. The rod itself is great a true 1 -5, loads down to the handle but doesn't get mushy even with a 5oz bank sinker. It throws a 1 oz bucktail very well for a rod the handles the 4 and 5 range easily. The rod has a lot of character not just a stiff pole. You can get a good cast without much effort but if you want to push it does not quit on you it loads deeper and responds. While the rod does load down through the handle the recovery on a cast is pretty quick, one bend down down after the cast thats about it.

Fibrestar
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Hmmm I'm on the other site quite a bit and still managed to miss the talk on these. Anyone up in New England going to be carrying them?

At this time no but it is in the works. All in time!!

Surfguy, I see you found this site good to see ya, had to get a new user name.. couldn't figure out the old one huh!! Surfguy has been a great help to me with guide layouts and testing as I have found I can not do it all with my limited time. It's been great to have a good custom builder on your side to help out!! Thank You!!

surfguy
12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
No problem my friend. Love checking out new blanks. These are great the new one is a homerun