View Full Version : Bad habits while fishing

parker23
12-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has a bad habit that coincides with fishing season.
I started chewing tobacco 33 years ago while fishing with a buddy who chewed. Back then it was Red Man. At the end of the season I just stopped. By late April early May I would be fishing and jonesing for a chew.
Now 30 years later I am using 5-7 tins a week of Copenhagen during the season. I quit at the end of the season and start again in the spring. During the season I chew all the time, even off the water. So, as this season is coming to an end in the next week or two, I have to quit again and experience the same troublesome task of stopping my addiction.
Once the initial withdrawals are gone, I am fine and do not crave a dip between the cheek and gum. I know from my past 30 + years of the nasty habit that come next year I will be back at it. Thankfully, my teeth, gums and mouth are fine (so far), but that too could change.
Besides sleep deprivation, spousal neglect and household chores that get put on the back burner until the poles are away for the season, what other bad habits do you folks have that pop up every season?

BigFish
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I enjoy farting....while out fishing! Be it in a pair of waders while surf fishing or sitting on the plastic seat in my kayak......nothing beats ripping a rich one while hauling back on the fishing rod....loud and proud!!!:rotf2:

parker23
12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
farting in waders is very cool.

niko
12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Try camel snus. All the nicotine with no spitting. Made the switch a few years ago. Every once in awhile I still buy a tin of Skoal but get disgusted by the time im halfway through a can
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I smoke like its a job when I am fishing going to try an e cig this winter

FinS 32
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
i wander. il start thinking about something and as i walk to my spot, ill just keep thinking and walking, ill be 2 miles away from where i wanted to be, and very often in the wrong direction

ivanputski
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Junk food... If you survive on gas station food and wendy's drive thru (open til 3am... a blessing and a curse) long enough, sooner or later you develop a taste for it... I used to never eat garbage drive thru burgers... now I am hooked and I hate it.

Another bad habit? i have stopped trying to keep my car clean and am ok if it is a disaster...

the point
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Smoking,,,, but dont let the head of your cig touch your braided line while reeling in a fish....now as soon as its fish on The cig goes.

parker23
12-04-2012, 02:56 PM
My truck stinks! There is at least a pound of sand on driver side floor.
Eel bucket w/stinky dry crispy rags and a cooler full of sand slush and fish slime. As well as a few dozen empty cans of energy drink.

I solved the junk food thing. I have a soft cooler w/bread, peanut butter and fruit as well as some trail mix stuff. Couple of gallons of water and I am good to go.

I process drive through food so quickly, I have to eat it on the toilet.

Clogston29
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
5 hr energy

grande iced red eye from starbucks (even the people working there give you a look when you order it)

driving home in a state of fatigue that has to be worse than being drunk

Bronko
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
5 hr energy

grande iced red eye from starbucks (even the people working there give you a look when you order it)

driving home in a state of fatigue that has to be worse than being drunk

Agreed, I am totally impaired when I have been fishing hard. A couple all nighters with virtually no sleep and work mixed in... dangerous stuff. All the windows down, radio pumped, throw some water on my face... I have tried everything.

bart
12-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I didn't start smoking til I started fishing like a mad man...I was 22 :smash:

red bull, fast food, cigs.... diet of champions!!

RIJIMMY
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Fishing requires me to spend enormous amounts of $$ and time.

Night Shift
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Chewing on stogies and I tend to swear like a pirate. I believe my success rate would suffer without the frequent use of the F-Bomb.

Nebe
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm proud to say that I just weaned myself off of fast food. I was Ina pinch and hit Wendy's the other day and threw half of it away. My secret of changing my tastes was to stop drinking coke. Then I started drinking my coffee black. This really changed my palette... I can't drink coke any more as it now tastes like battery acid. I'm sure I will start loosing weight from this.

Nebe
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh.. And as a result of this I am really liking new foods I didn't like before like Greek yogurt.

saltfly
12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Taking wayyyyyy too much krap with me.No matter whether it's fly,spin,conv.Also boat,beach,ditch.This includes clothes,food,drink.I use about 10% no matter where,when or what.Just can't kick it!!!!

FinS 32
12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
forgot to mention my worst habit... buffalo chicken taquitos from 7/11. i limit myself to like 2 or 3 a week, so im not having one everytime i fish, but when i have any more than that i pay for it severly. :crying:

JohnnySaxatilis
12-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I think DD covers half of my fishing expense annually. $3.40 for a coffee and a muffin. WHYYYYYY DO I DO IT!?? o thats right cuz there's one every 25ft and my tiny brain can't break the cycle

lamigsb1
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm proud to say that I just weaned myself off of fast food. I was Ina pinch and hit Wendy's the other day and threw half of it away. My secret of changing my tastes was to stop drinking coke. Then I started drinking my coffee black. This really changed my palette... I can't drink coke any more as it now tastes like battery acid. I'm sure I will start loosing weight from this.

I cut out the coke and Gatorade .. ..lost 80 lbs.
Should have done that 15 years ago

Smoking. Is the next to go. Usually a pack a day. 2 when fishing

Swimmer
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
How can any of you afford and fishing gear and buy cigarettes too? My wife told me years ago I could spend all the money I spent on butts, 3 to 4 packs a day at that time, on fishing equipment, if I stopped. Didn't stop just then, but eventually, as I hope all of you do.

Nebe, good for you on the black coffee. You'll find drinking black coffee the morning after you spent the entire evening before drinking blueberry beer will go much better. Milk and suger in your coffee with a hangover curtles your stomach, making you feel even worse.

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Using a sock or a sleeve to wipe after a panic dump. I have many socks without a match and a couple long-sleeves hanging up in the closet with only one sleeve. Its funny, she just does the wash and realizes a sleeve is missing while folding them and then calls me an IDIOT:biglaugh:

Jackbass
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Less sleeves or the hot snake surprise it's a no brainer.

SurfCaster413
12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Dipping to stay awake and 2 or 3 big red bulls a night.

Bazza
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Spending too much $$$$ on fishing gear, tackle ect... I have plenty, but still want more

rizzo
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Not being able to focus on the normal life...

Nebe
12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
How can any of you afford and fishing gear and buy cigarettes too? My wife told me years ago I could spend all the money I spent on butts, 3 to 4 packs a day at that time, on fishing equipment, if I stopped. Didn't stop just then, but eventually, as I hope all of you do.

Nebe, good for you on the black coffee. You'll find drinking black coffee the morning after you spent the entire evening before drinking blueberry beer will go much better. Milk and suger in your coffee with a hangover curtles your stomach, making you feel even worse.
Blueberry beer?!? Good lord man. Fruit and beer is a no-go for me :)

sokinwet
12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I can't eat when I fish....been that way since my tournament bass days. I can however drink coffee by the gallon "on the fly".

bart
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Not being able to focus on the normal life...

this normal life you speak of :confused:

Hardcore
12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Fishing is a bad habit within itself. We do it because it makes us feel good, we do it because we need to not because we want to. We spend crazy money on it, we lose sleep over it, we miss important events because of it. And we justify it just any other junky does. But I ain't going to rehab :)

bart
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
There are books about how fishing is one of the most highly addictive activities you can engage in. You get that blitz, that one good fish early on, then you chase that high like a junkie. But the worst part is that the highs are not consistent and predictable like a drug, they come in waves (pun intended) which makes it that more addictive....

ivanputski
12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
socially detaching myself from anything that is not fishing during the season...

I have friends and family that have just stopped inviting me to any sort of weekend/evening gathering because they know I wont be there... Its actually quite sad in a way. We always seem to have this never-ending nagging feeling that we are going to miss out on something epic at the shore so we are there every second we can be

bloocrab
12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Telling myself that I should have gone to that "other" spot because this one ain't producing......:hs:

JohnnySaxatilis
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
How about accidentally calling people really early in the morning that don't fish. I'll just dial a number thinking its about the middle of the day and realize after the second ring its 8am. whoops :rollem:

Rockfish9
12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Chewing on stogies and I tend to swear like a pirate. I believe my success rate would suffer without the frequent use of the F-Bomb.

Bad habits aided and abeted by another "pirate" ..no doubt..

I swear too much...sleep to little and drink too much coffee..

doc
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
...forgetting that i havent showered in days as i cant fit that into my work/family/fishing schedule....and worse, my solution is often just keeping my hair, what is remaining, buzzed....

rizzo
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
this normal life you speak of :confused:

Work and everything else - once you get into that mode its just 100% focus on fishing and when you're getting out next! It really is a horrible addiction, especially targeting the big ones - far and few between so its hard to get your fix!

Saltheart
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Every trip to the Canal, Smokey and I would stop at Wendy's on the way down (our supper) and at DD on the way home (coffee to keep us awake on the ride home at 1 AM). A bad habit for sure.

fishbones
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I smoke a lot more cigars during the season. I try to tell myself it's to keep the bugs away, but I think it's beome a habit. I pack a few in my plug bag before every trip just like lures. Other than that, I'm pretty good. I rarely eat crappy stuff at odd hours and I never sleep much anyways, so it doesn't bother me during the season.

MikeD
12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I like to have a beer or three after a good night of crawling around in boulder fields. A girl I knew from growing up was walking her two young children in a stroller one morning at around 7am. I went out chatted with her for a while, looked down and realized I was wearing the hat and shirt that I always wear, that are covered in all kinds of blood stains. And that I was polishing off a 16oz bud. Haha, Told her I don't usually drink in the morning, just got back from a night of fishing. She didnt seem to understand how that made a difference.

smac
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Not keeping good logs through the entire season. I always start of filling out a log religiously in the spring. But finish with a lot of missing info.

tysdad115
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm guilty of constantly spewing multiple profanity laden insults at the clowns I fish with. But I'm sure thats only to overcome my own insecurities and inabilty to actually catch fish, and I find it funny so that's what counts.

shadow
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Some of my bad habits get worse when the session is over. Fishing has helped me keep my bad habits at bay for the most part. How ever my sleeping and eating habits are not good late may throu late oct.

RickBomba
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm an extremely punctual person in real time. I fish, I get sucked into a time warp.

Nobody used to be concerned about this until around when I had a kid...

Ah well, it used to be chain-smoking. I'll take it.

bart
12-05-2012, 11:31 PM
I like to have a beer or three after a good night of crawling around in boulder fields. A girl I knew from growing up was walking her two young children in a stroller one morning at around 7am. I went out chatted with her for a while, looked down and realized I was wearing the hat and shirt that I always wear, that are covered in all kinds of blood stains. And that I was polishing off a 16oz bud. Haha, Told her I don't usually drink in the morning, just got back from a night of fishing. She didnt seem to understand how that made a difference.

CLASSIC :laughs:

timmah
12-06-2012, 02:25 AM

EXACTLY, what seems normal to you at 10am after being up all night is not exactly, well more actually "this guy is some sort of crazy mutha", what you expect how "normal" people see you.

My new thing for this year is not to freak people out at the convenient store when they are on their way to work. :devil2:

Rockfish9
12-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Not keeping good logs through the entire season. I always start of filling out a log religiously in the spring. But finish with a lot of missing info.

funny how that works.... truth be told.. when your young and first get into "the game".. you write things down.. EVERYTHING... fact is you dont need to.. you remember every detail... as you get older.. you write less... unfortunatly.. you remember less as well.... eventualy you dont keep any logs at all...

Jackbass
12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
funny how that works.... truth be told.. when your young and first get into "the game".. you write things down.. EVERYTHING... fact is you dont need to.. you remember every detail... as you get older.. you write less... unfortunatly.. you remember less as well.... eventualy you dont keep any logs at all...

Once you get to that point though I think the locations you fish become second nature almost? I know for me there are certain spots I will never fish in a given wind. Or tide for that matter.

KB&J SIDEACTION
12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Gotta be the Cigars, I get on my boat and 1 is to many and a hundred is not enough. I dont really think the social disconnect is a disqualifying offence, everyone just knows not to invite me to any functions. Or expect me to get any housework done either.

PRBuzz
12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Most of my habits are bad, just depends who is on the boat fishing with me which determines those that are considered annoying that day?

Rappin Mikey
12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Everything accept crack and heroin.

MarshCappa
12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I chew and when I'm fishing it seems like I always have a dip in more often than not. I've been making some lifestyle changes by exercising and dietary changes and have dropped weight and gained muscle tone. Not much but it's happening. Quitting chew is on the horizon. I've had a lot of changes going on recently so it's one step/day at a time for me.

SAUERKRAUT
12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=WESTPORTMAFIA;972752]Using a sock or a sleeve to wipe after a panic dump....

My side still hurts laughing over this one. Confess I never heard this term before; and I never considered cutting off a sleeve or a pant leg to get out of a jam.

ProfessorM
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I thought that was what socks were for.

Rob Rockcrawler
12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
My diet in the off season is bad enough then when im fishing it gets worse. The caffeine intake goes way up. Nicotine usage goes way up as well. But i swear that all the stuff that i do that is bad when in fishing isnt quite that bad. If i did it all when working i would have a heart attack, but since fishing is so therapeutic its all good.

Sleep is also a tough thing. A few hours rolled up in my cherokee and im good to go.

I think the worst habit is just being a total slob. My truck is a disaster from may through november every year. I pitty he idiot that tries to go digging through my console in a hurry they will pull out some VMC's for sure, i have...

chris L
12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I enjoy farting....while out fishing! Be it in a pair of waders while surf fishing or sitting on the plastic seat in my kayak......nothing beats ripping a rich one while hauling back on the fishing rod....loud and proud!!!:rotf2:

Larry
BUBBLES thats your new nickname .

they aint tiny bubbles coming out your posterior .

I have no bad habits , if my habits are bad they are only that way in others eyes

BluesHarp
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Leaving plugs loose in the back of the car. The further along in the season the more there are back there.

If I ever rolled the car in October, I'd look like something out of a fishing horror movie on Halloween.

Time has no meaning. I alway set a schedule for fishing. "I'll be done by this time in the AM or PM" Once I'm out in the surf and the time comes to stop on my planned schedule, it becomes a marathon of "One more cast here, one more cast there".

Next thing I know it's hours past the "Don't worry, I'll be home by XX:XX time".

tradrodz
12-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I eat far to much Wendy's, McDonalds, and gas station food, my truck hardly gets cleaned and stinks like dead eels, and my worst habit is when I almost doze off on the ride home. Other than that everythings dandy :-)

ivanputski
12-08-2012, 01:23 AM
bad habit: Telling the wife what time I will be back... its ALWAYS later...

I once said "its up to the fish... ask them!"