View Full Version : squidder help needed

addict
06-03-2003, 10:58 PM
I bought a used squidder and found the condition to be less than what I expected. I'm new to fishing, so pls bear with me.

1- It has a very hollow feel to it when I reel and cast. I have tried other squids and they feel a lot "tighter" in a good sense. Is this because I just need to service it? relube?

2- The antibacklash screw is now completely tightened. Is this because the drags are worn? Drags are pretty worn I think. I'm no expert, but the star drag needs to be almost locked to get any grip.

3- Finally, I want to polish the reel. Is this ok? Do I need to coat it with clear coat or something afterwards?

Thanks for any help

backlasher
06-03-2003, 11:32 PM
First off, I do not understand how you are "new to fishing" and yet bought a "used" squidder and then found it had a "hollow" feel as you have tried "other squidders". And this, the first squidder posting I've seen after many hours of browsing, yet timed just minutes after I ("backlasher") posted in. Is this a legit site?

Let's figure it's all coincidence, then. Welcome to the squidder family. I'd say, back off the set-screw for the time being (to allow easier roll of spool) then head to the Tackle shop and have them service your reel (the drag does squash up). Once fixed up, back your Star Drag off after every usage. As for shining the chrome...you can do that (ensure you wipe off the plastic and do not get any on the line though).

As for coating the reel...I have had my reel fully submerged in salt on many occasions. No coating necesary on a Squidder as long as you dutifully rinse it with fresh water.

Squidders' are slow, cheap, rugged, easily maintained, and cast a country mile (or backlash).

B.L.

NilsC
06-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by backlasher
And this, the first squidder posting I've seen after many hours of browsing, yet timed just minutes after I ("backlasher") posted in. Is this a legit site?
B.L.

B.L. Welcome to s-b.com

I found 43 references to "squidder" using search, to search back to older posts you have to Change the "Time frame that your posts are ordered from" the default is 10 days.

Have fun and enjoy reading all the squidder posts :p

Nils

MakoMike
06-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Addict,
The first thing I would do would be to install new drag washers and clean and lube the reel. If you're not up to doing that either find a reputable tackle shop that does reel repairs or send it to Penn. It sounds like, at a minumum, it need drag washers.

fishweewee
06-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Addict...

Give EC Newell Man a buzz, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Squidders.

-WW

JohnR
06-04-2003, 08:47 AM
And this, the first squidder posting I've seen after many hours of browsing, yet timed just minutes after I ("backlasher") posted in. Is this a legit site? Backlasher - we've been waiting over 3 years and 1000+ registered members for you to join so we can now be legit :laughs:

Yes, we're a legit site & hopefully we can find some way to convince you of that. All that being said, I only own one squidder which I just bought this winter and have yet to use. I tend to fish sissy reels like Mag Elite's and Calcuttas but some day I hope to be a real fisherman on a squidder too (this is all tongue in cheek here)... Welcome to Striped-Bass. Get a lot of large up in Central NH?

addict
06-04-2003, 10:04 AM
BL,
Yes, this is a very legit site.
Yes, I'm a relatively new angler (started last yr)
Yes, I can tell the difference bet my squid and my friend's squids. I think the squid is one of the simplest reels. If I can tell that my carbs are not jetted correctly, I think I can tell if a simple reel doesn't feel the same as others.

If it helps you understand, I bought the squid based on "old-timers" suggesting that I do so. Something to learn on. Understand reels, learn how to use a non-level wind, learn how to cast a convench. Basically I was told if I could learn how to use/service a squid, then I'll be able to handle more user-friendly reels later on.

Drags and servicing - as suggested by most, I will be putting in some new ones and relubing accordingly. If I mess up, I'll drop it off at a shop near me. As mentioned, a part of my reasoning for buying this ($25 used) was to use it, abuse it, and learn, learn, learn.

Thanks Mike and FWW for your thoughts. I will follow up on them.

JohnR - Thanks for stopping by and I love your site bruddah!

nor-easter
06-04-2003, 10:16 AM
The Squidder is what I cut my teeth on, was taught how to cast, FIRST, run line out to get it wet. We were using Cuttyhunk Linen in those days.
Irwin Winslow "Coot" Hall, my Mentor, used the Squids till the Garcias came into being. He never used "those sissy spinners".
We all carried at least two casting rods back in the old days. Before my time the Squidder was the major reel when most of the Guides were casting eel Bobs. Oh to be able to go back to those wonderful days again.

bassmaster
06-04-2003, 10:28 AM
alot of us grew up on the squidder it is a good reel and has a nice wide Bell to thumb the spool.
tear it down and clean it and coat all parts with a light film of super lube and lightly rub the drag washers with it, It will smooth the drag out a bit.
You can pop the bearing in the gear side of the reel out. and cleen it and lube it. I would use a heavy oil. Its a good match to the reel due to no breaks in it.
I pop the bearing out with a old bail ( it has a bend in it to get under bearing)
then go to the other bearing You can Buy one/its the knob on the left side of reel/ and cleen it or go to red flop and Buy one.
put the reel together and then back the knob off to give a little bit of knock in the spool.
Make sure You tighten all the screws holding the reel frame together. I have killed the same reel a bunch of time from screws loose from fish.
Hope this helps. this is an underated reel that will smoke alot of reels if You can get it down.
Happy backlashing:D

macojoe
06-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I own 6 of these reels yes 6!! I love them!! Now Idon't like them as the 140 that much. But I have them as 146, the same reel but skinnyer. This makes a great Fluke reel. They take a beattin and keep on going and going and going. Now Penn has discontunied the 146 but thats ok because you can get the parts fro a 140 they are both the same. I have just over hauled all mine and ordered a couple of spools for the 146 as you never going to get them again when they are all sold out. But the parts are available all over the place and you will have it for a life time. one of mine use to belong to my grandfarther!!
Good luck

Mr. Sandman
06-04-2003, 12:50 PM
That "hollow" feeling can be extreme wear on the main gear. IMO have it serviced.

Mike P
06-04-2003, 08:03 PM
addict, what color are the side plates and handle knob on that Squidder? Black, brownish-red, or bright red, and is the handle knob hard torpedo shaped plastic or the new softer material? That'll give me an idea of its age.

The hollow feeling could be for a lot of reasons. The bearings could be shot for one thing. The old plastic spools also give ya a different feel than the newer aluminum ones. When the spool moves from side to side, is that when you get that hollow feeling?

If yours is an older Squidder, say, pre-80s, it probably has the old leather and raw brass drag washers. Sounds like it from the way you describe how it's working---free-spool or tight-lock with nothing in between. Have them replaced with the new HT-100 and chromed brass washers.

You could polish the plastic plates with car wax. If any green corrosion shows on the frame, the reel foot or the spacer bars, you can clean it off with Flitz or some other metal polish, but the surface will remain pitted after you wipe off the green gunk. Nothing you can do about the pits short of replacing those parts---and it's not worth it.

I have 4 Squidders ranging from the late 1940s up to the mid-1990s. They started off with black plates, kept them until the 60s when they went to reddish brown, went to brighter red in the late 70s or early 80s, and went back to black in 1990 or thereabouts.

addict
06-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Based on the input, I tore down the reel partially to check washers and bearings. Btw...nobody warned me about the freespool engaging/disengaging piece with the tiny spring on it that fell out. .:rolleyes: Of course I can't figure out how it goes back so I now have freespool all the time. :smash:

Washers: Since I have no experience with drag washers, I checked for visible signs of wear but to be honest didn't think they were that bad. I made the type of check as one would do on clutch plates on cars or motorcycles. I didn't see any circular slipping marks of any kind. Am I just looking for the wrong signs of wear? I called on a friend who has some aftermarket washers for the squid and he'll help me out I guess.

Bearings: I could not get the #$%^ things out. BassMaster, I didn't have an old bail so I tried a dental hand tool. The sharp curved one that everyone dreads. I couldn't get neither right nor left ones out. Do I just get something under them and pull real hard? Maybe I'll just leave this to my friend as well.

All in all, not a bad experience. I hope most reels are as simple when I eventually graduate from the squid. Once again, thanks for the all the help.

ps: Mike P: It has brownish red sideplates, had a plastic black torpedo handle (I swapped it out for a 965 handle). The hollow feeling is experienced during casting and reeling. Spool does seem to shift side to side a bit. The washers were 3 metal and 3 black rubber like washers ending with a tension washer (does the direction of the tension washer matter upon re-assembly?)

MakoMike
06-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Addict,
Instead of removing the bearing, just wash them off with a good degreaser, dry and relube them. You have to hold the side with dog and spring down while you put the reel back together.

bassmaster
06-05-2003, 07:37 AM
on the knob side You replace the whole knob and for the one You couldne get out . use brake cleaner and then sit the spool in in and spin it to see if its smooth and then oil the bearing.
on the squidders I like Mepps #9 gun oil
Hope this helps.
I have 4 or 5 left i think

Mike P
06-05-2003, 12:35 PM
OK, reddish-brown means probably sometime between 1960 and 1980. Black torpedo handle would put it more towards the later date I think. If it has the original drag washers they're likely leather and raw brass. Especially if they're stuck together like you said--the leather is probably all dried out and glued to the brass. Get a whole new set of new washers. Think they're 4 metal and 3 HT-100. The aftermarket weashers your friend has are likely "Smoothies". They're good but you may have to replace them after a year or so---the HT-100 washers last almost forever.

Is the spool the same color as the reel? If so, it's plastic and that may be why you think it feels "hollow" when compared to newer Squdders ya tried that have the aluminum spool. Plastic spools are hard to come by these days and a lot of old Squidder fans love 'em, so if you don't like the way that spool feels, you might be able to swap someone for an aluminum one.

Pick up a half dozen of those little dog springs when you get the washers---they are a beech to seat. The manual tells you the trick, but you probably didn't get one with the reel. That little dental pick is a good tool for seating that mother. Call Penn and they can probably send you a manual, or maybe check their website and see if they have any info there.

bassmaster
06-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Man You gettin old:D

Mike P
06-05-2003, 02:13 PM
a, only 7 years more'n you bubba. :D

backlasher
06-05-2003, 10:27 PM
To Addict
From Backlasher

My response to your question was unintenitionally crude. I'm barely more than a beginner and the knowledge that you put out there under the guise of "beginner" made me fear that I was about to be SPAMMED and my computer was going to lock down.

I see now that you're humble is all, or at least mechanically versed in other things which cross over to reels. Me, I'm a forever beginner. But, the squidder is a great reel. Fun and challenging (and I have used it a lot).

By "legit" I did not question the legitmicay of the web site nor your question. I wondered if your question was "legit" because you seemed to be more than a beginner . By that, I thought it might be a setup to SPAM my computer. Couldn't resist replying though...and I'm glad I did (great site). By the way...I wrote another response which I THINK didn't post, but if it does...you'll see I'm computer ignorant as well.

Regards, and keep squiddin' (the only way to cast...).

B.L.
:smash:

addict
06-06-2003, 02:04 AM
Ok, here's the reel hack update. Just got back from fishing (skunked!). I was fishing my brand newly serviced squidder by yours truly (with the help of the audience of course :D )

Earlier, I called the piece that fell out freespool engaging/disengaging thing (what a loser - lol). In actuality I should have called it the dog and dog spring. (MakoMike, I was trying to figure out what you were saying, but thanks to trial and error I finally got it - thanks for that kernel of info). So since I figured out the hardest part of re-assembly, I said I might as well try servicing it (basic cleanup and relube). So I took off everything off and cleaned them, relubed with a tube of penn grease that came with my 930. I realized I didn't have any designer grease for the various apps, so I had no choice but to lube everything with the penn lube. Told ya I was a hack. Oh, of course I had to strip one of the stand screws (part#32) just to get initiated. :af: I couldn't do anything as it was just spinning in place. So I hacked the job even more by putting some locktite on it. Call me a reel butcher. :rolleyes: I hope I don't lose a fish cuz of this.

Oh, I even removed all the green lime buildup by soaking it in some Coke a Cola. I read somewhere it works and sure enough it worked like a friggin' charm.

So now things seems a little "tighter" and smoother. Now if I could just figure out the backlash thing.

FWW - I 'm getting a set of precision washers from EC this weekend.

BM - When I get good enough, I'm coming after you to fish the flats on the cape.

Mike P - washers were metal and a black rubber like material. Not leather. The spool is aluminum, not plastic. Dog springs...I found out the way for me was to put the screw that holds the dog in place with the spring seated properly. I left just enough room so that the bride w/sleeve could still slide over it. Took a few tries but I think I got it now.

With all the help I got here, I was able to tear it down and reassemble it in less than ... oh 3 hours? :D :smash: :D :smash:

Backlasher,
Internet is a wierd place huh? No worrries, I stopped concerning myself with internet "static" a long time ago. It's hard to get a thought across sometimes. Keep a thick skin and welcome aboard.

Well thanks to eveyone for their help and I'll be asking about the backlashing tomorrow or so. :uhoh: :uhoh:

signing off from nyc...

Stewie
06-06-2003, 09:03 PM
I squeeed a little blob of old penn oil? grease? from the little toothpaste tube into each ball bearing of my 140. This puts just enough drag on the spool to allow me to use it. It will outcast my 7000c3 for sure. ...try it ....longshot

addict
06-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Update and question:

Well, I put the squid through its paces last night at Breezy Point and the squid put me through my own. Boy did I get humbled by this reel. We get to our spot and the blues are slamming and stripers are right under them as well. Friends are catching both as I get ready to whip out my first cast.

A nice toss that ends up as a bird's nest of a lifetime. Even with mono I had to eventually cut the main line in 50 different spots to clear it out. The bite's still on, so I try to throw what I have left in my spool but realize it's not enough line. Didn't have a backup reel last night so I had to splice on some more line to my main.

About 35 mins later, as I prepare to cast, I realize my reel has slipped off where I was supporting it and has been sitting in, yep, sand. ARRRGGGHHHHHHH. The bite is on and I'm f*cking around with a 30 year old reel!!!! I was about to just jump in the water and die. :hang:

After another 10-15 mins of trying to get the sand out, I just said "f*ck it " and dunked the whole damn reel in the water to get the sand out. I swirled it around for a min or two and finally got back in the water after what seemed like an hour since my original bird's nest. I ground the remaining sand and finished out the night.

So my question(s):

RE: Sand - Could you dunk a squid into the ocean to clean off sand as long as you wash it out promptly with fresh water (not too much water pressure I know).

RE: Backlashing - I had the backlash screw tightened all the way and still had to thumb the spool. Is this the same for all you squid owners/users? I thought with the backlash screw completely tight, I wouldn't have to worry about it. Is this also because of my drag washers being worn?

Man, I wanted to kill myself last night. I guess I'm learning, but this is painful at times. :af: The good news is although I got skunked, I did learn a lot about fixing nests in the dark, casting the squid in the dark, splicing in the dark, and lastly, How to keep your friends away from you. I was so pissed off that my friends didn't say anything to me for that hour when I was suffering. :D

longshot,
Grease the bearing and it gave you better drag to cast? I'm not sure I follow...maybe you can clarify?

Christian
06-07-2003, 12:26 PM
what were you casting? how heavy? light stuff is a no no.
heres a tip, dont take your thumb off the spool, just let the spool spin with your thumb lightly resting on the spool.
no wipping either, lob.
also try holding the reel sideways, this helps stop those casts that land 10ft away from you when your casting with enough force to put it wicked far out there. practice, practice, practice.
were your friends casting convench too?

Stewie
06-07-2003, 03:37 PM
You got it. The grease in the bearings will slow down the spool just a tad. Someone suggested using STP oil additive. There is no anti backlash screw on the Squidder. That is the bearing cap on the left plate. I have tried using that just like you did but it just puts a lot of stress on the bearings, and doesn't provide a smooth spool brake. Reels like the Abu are set up so that the bearing end caps are the spool brakes. On a squidder you should be able to slide the spool back and firth just a wee on it's axle Start with a 15 foot cast. Always have your thumb lightly on the bell of the spool. Slowly lengthen your cast...20, 25, 30. Eventually you will find yourself snapping the rod hard and only touching the spool a fraction here and there. The 140 is one of the longest casting reels there is, it is also one of the most difficult to cast. Maybe you should try an Abu 6500 for a year or two. I used a 7000c3 as my only reel for maybe five years before i could deal with the squidder. The reason the squidder was so popular was its simplicity and the fact that you can take it apart and shake under salt water if you got sand in it. A level wind makes everything easier{including spool braking} but if you drop one in the sand it's time to go home. Buy a pound of 20 lb ande pink. you will use most of it up before you are really comfortable with a baitcaster. Walk up to anyone you see casting conventional, ask for help, 99 percent will be glad to help you. Most of the white haired guys learned how to fish on a 140, some of them will come talk to you when they see your reel. They will ask if they can try it. They will cast your 2 ounce popper 130 yards. You will be humbled. The best part of surf fishing is the people you meet . See ya on the beach....longshot

addict
06-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Christian - I'm throwing 6nbait. I was thumbing (spool bell) but I just need more practice.

longshot - I thought you were saying somethingelse. I did lube the bearing with the penn grease already. I've also noticed the bearing binding when I tighten the left bearing cap. I will look at the amount of play I have in the spool as you mentioned. I just finished tearing it down and I've re-lubed everything. I didn't breakdown the drag washers and main gear though. Is that neccesary after a night of surf fishing.

All in all, I think it's the thumbing of the spool bell during my casts. So I'm back to square one, practice, practice...

'least it didn't take me 3 hrs for cleaning this time.

backlasher
06-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Addict...I agree with LongShot in that I've "heard" (don't know where) to adjust the squidder side set screw to allow the spool to move back and forth a 'wee bit' (regardless of lure weight). For lures, 1 0z is possible, but VERY diffucult. Also, I'd use a snap (despite the disadvantages) for tin lures (or get used to losing a lot of lures). And, lay off the jigs and poppers until you get some practice in (if you haven't already).

The secret is 'time" and realizing that even with time you are still going to get a backlash at the worst moment. But, with a blistered thumb comes that awesome cast...and fish or no, that is a great feeling. Plus, when the fish does come (the big one)...squidders rule. Oh, and pay strict attention to keepin that line tight and the line "manual-level" winded in properly. Do you cast lures...and what size rod do you have ?

As for Abu...yes, they are good reels, but the level wind is overrated in the surf...

B.L.

addict
06-07-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm using the squid for chunking now as I've not yet started serious plugging. I use a 10' sealine-x, 3-6oz.

Judging from the posts, looks like I"m headhunting in central park to practice some more, and some more....

signing off from the big apple.

Canalratt1
06-08-2003, 10:28 AM
I grew up casting a squidder and I used it to plug and chunk. OK I got gray hair:) Couple things learn to thumb the side plate of the spool not the line, this takes practice. Try not to cast across the ocean go into it makeing shorter casts and getting used to it. Adjust your side_play knob for a very little side-play as you get better you can adjust for more. Use at least 2 oz. plugs or weights and practice. Myself I would make it a bait outfit but many of us oldtimers plugged with them

Stewie
06-09-2003, 04:41 PM
If you are trying to learn to use that screamer, you should use that old spinner for chunks and throw a kastmaster or even just a 2 or 3 ounce sinker. That way you get to practice casting and chunk too. The more casts you make the easier it gets,at least until your thumbs start to smoke and smell like a barbeque................see you on the beach...longshot:smash:

addict
06-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Another day of practicing and I'm getting better. Not as many nests today. :smash:

Thanks for all the great advice folks.

PS: I lost half my thumb today.

backlasher
06-11-2003, 10:05 PM
squid.
So, howz it goin' eh? As you have u have undoubtedly discovered...all this positive "squidder reel" jabber was a hoax. In short..."join the club...you are screwed!!!".

Kidding. Squidder is a great caster under the right conditons, but I wish I tried a jigmaster with it's faster ratio. The squid does cast FAR, but is soooo slow to retrieve.

25pound test "regular diameter" mono is the min. for ease of casting. Have gone down to 18 and it goes far, but nests more. If get thin diameter then get diameter equivalent to "regular" 25-pound stren type line for ease of casting. Am told that braided line works well for casting, but did not find that in practice (give up a LOT in distance)...though, if you are plopping from a boat or jetty and distance doesn't matter then....Heavier line is no sweat.
B.L.

nor-easter
06-11-2003, 11:46 PM
If you over tighten the left spool knob then you will wear out the right end bearing. Set up the spool so as there is just a c**t hair of motion to the spool, sideways motion. Just hear a slight click click if you can still hear well. Thumb the side of the spool and save the skin on your thumb.Start short and build up to long casts. The ratio on the Squidder is great for swimming big wood or even dancing a needle. Any faster retrieve spoils the presentation of the lure to the fish.
Good Luck
Good Fishing

There used to was a casting brake thingy that would screw on the left side in place of the regular end bearing. It had magnets or something in it to help slow down the spin of the spool. An anti-backlash device. I never used one but remember seeing them on some reels. You don't need one of those things because the folks on this Board and the guys on the beach are going to help to teach you to cast like the olde timers did....before the spinny thingies some folks use today!

addict
06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm starting to get the hang of it. I have a lot more trouble when I'm throwing bait with a fishfinder rig. It just nests easier or I get very little distance. I've been playing around with the left bearing cap but haven't been doing too well when the screw is backed out a bit. A far cry from day one though.

BL - I'm using 20# - maybe I should consider 25#.

nor-easter - Thanks for that info. At least I now have a bearing cap setting to shoot for. Right now if I cast with the screw that far out, I usually nest it.

backlasher
06-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Heck...if you're BAITcasting with a weight then go 30+# (why not?). You should be able to cast the rig far as heck. But, someone on this site mentioned a helicopter problem with fishfinders (I've had no major prob, but it does twirl around a bit). A (not sure the right word) rig that has the weight straight out and the bait to the side (triple ring swivel thingy)) might be easier to cast.

In any case, don't forget to use a swivel if you are throwing any type of bait (for example, 18 " up on line).

and, You can always get an extra spool "just in case" you get super ratted or in case you want to change from (say) heavy pound test bait line to lighter (but still heavy) lure line.

If you are new to casting the squidder then you are right to get rid of that "light" 20 # test right quick.
B.L:) :)
PS: Don't forget...if you have been casting (say) 2 oz tins for a while then switch to (say) a 4 oz lead sinker and a fish head then you are headed for trouble if you don't ease into it. The line/spool/your-thumb needs to take a few casts to get tuned into the varying weights.

addict
07-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, I paid my dues.

Burnt my thumb, nested the squid a gazillion times, changed line a half dozen times, disassembled and assembled it a few more, tried thicker oil, almost sacrificed a virgin at one point. In the end, learned a sh*t load of things about throwing a convench.

The squidder won. :bc: Kicked my azz. I was 50/50 in overruns.
Having the brass spool I think really hurt my chances and I didn't want to invest anymore $$$ into a used squid, so I'm SELLING IT.

Even though I've been through all this, I'm still a Penn guy for now. I bought a jigmaster with an aluminum spool and magged it. I went to my local pier to test my mod and I couldn't believe it.

I COULDN'T backlash it even if I wanted to! :D

Those mags really work well. As a matter of fact, I think I'll be removing one of the mags (I installed 4) since I could cast thumb free right now. :happy:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help earlier and if anyone is having problems with casting their squids or jigmasters, consider magging the damn thing. Quick, easy, cheap, and VERY effective.

tight lines