View Full Version : Boats dead

Got Stripers
06-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Last time out I couldn't get the bildge pump light off, yet I listened and heard no bildge pump. Figured I'd look at it later and yeah I got off on other things. Yesterday I pull the boat out of the coverit to do just that, plus get my vhf installed, nothing at all. Not exactly wierd it's called "owning a boat", but what was weird is that walking around the back end (stern for you landlubbers) I noticed the motor totter is crushed, almost as if the trim switch was either constantly on lower. Since the outboard may have been involved, I dropped it off at the dealer, but this weekend is lost to the yard sale anyway. Electrical stuff just shouldn't be allowed near the salt:).

mrmacey
06-04-2003, 06:56 AM
nows a good time to repay you the hospitaliy you showed me your invited any time! we can go out around the islands if you want. you will stay dry i guarentee it tried to spell that right 4 time you know what i mean let me know!

JohnR
06-04-2003, 08:52 AM
ouch...

MakoMike
06-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Can you describe how the light was wired. I've seen that happen when moisture gets trapped between the light leads and allows the current to flow.

Mr. Sandman
06-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Got Stripers
Electrical stuff just shouldn't be allowed near the salt:).

I HEAR YOU ON THAT GS!

You think YOU have electrical problems...I suffered a melt-down of a power tilt relay which almost caught fire and melted half the friggen power distribution panel killing the ignition circuit as well. I'm out for a week waiting on parts. Two things:
A) this is why I have two engines
B) this is why I mostly surfcast.

Got Stripers
06-04-2003, 03:01 PM
I tell you what, if I had a boat on a mooring and only used it once a week, I'd be back in the surf myself. I use my boat in so many locations fresh & salt and you just can't beat the flexibility of a trailerable aluminum V-hull. I'd be lost without it, but luckily my weekends shot with the yard sale anyway, so hopefully I'll be back in business the first of the week. As for wiring the light, couldn't tell you, it's factory. It's a standard toggle switch for the bilge pump, with a light built in to the top of the switch. If the float runs the pump it lights (I think) even when in the down position (off position), when the pump is manually run (on or up position) the light is on. It was on in either position and like a fool, I was too tired to deal and forgot to run back out after getting gear stowed to disconnect the battery. What concerns me is the crushed motor totter, which might indicate that the motor trim became involed somehow. Gremlins live in my coverit I think, evil little bastards and they like screwing with me boat.

Clammer
06-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Bob ypu wanna go =get a hold of me I<m ready
Few Pogies around///////////