View Full Version : UMBRELLA RIGS/ 9ers Rig!!

LINESIDES
06-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Those of you that use umbrella rigs need to think about what happens to the rig and the fish after your line brakes!!!!
I would like to see some opinions on this, from the folks who use this site. It appears to me, some folks have not though this through enough!! OK I am ready for my bashing.
Later
:cool:

06-04-2003, 08:11 AM
I have been using these for 3-years and never lost one while fighting a fish. they are typically fished with wire line and 50-60lb leaders so break-offs would be rare......:)

Mr. Sandman
06-04-2003, 09:54 AM
I have never lost one to a fish...I think once I lost one to the bottom though. (Have trolled them since the day they were invented) Draggin umbrella's with wireline is not my favorite way to fish....but I *always* keep a pair of rods on board rigged for them because some days thats your only choice. No one can argue they are not effective.

I have seen some "home-grown" rigs that have hooks on every tube on an umbrella rig. Trolling that thru a school of feeding bluefish could get you upwards of a doz or so fish on a single rig. I think you could break it off that way.

Most guys used 60# test wire with 80# mono backing which rarely breaks. I suppose if it did break the rig would sink and the fish would probably die (a few may ge the hook dislodged and get free).

These things just don't fall off like casting plugs do, I would not fret about it too much.

Don't forget, the fish would die if you keep them too. :rolleyes:

GBOUTDOORS
06-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Get REEL :D I have not lost a rig with a fish on it yet and have fished umbrela rigs for some years. Now you tell me what happens to the fish you get on a popper full of hooks and break off because you are using lite line and it has the plug down its throught:( It appears to me that you did not think this post through before you posted:o Also they are single hook rigs on each bait so I would feel they could get off better than a plug???????

NEXT2NUN
06-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey Linesiders, Some unlucky fisherman left his umbrella rig 100yds of wire and half of a nice Penn rod attached to one of my lobster pots. When I told the owner of the local tackle shop he reached behind the counter and showed me the other half of the rod. The guy told him he hooked up on a huge fish got stripped and broke the rod, I'm still laughing!! I tried the rig I think it stinks, collects way to much grass, bends my 7' lami boat rod like noodle. I'll stick to dragin tubes.

striperjackson
06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Never had a break off using umbrella rigs.

Megabyte
06-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Never lost one yet to a fish or a lobsta' paaat.

Any that hang up on lobsta paaats are retrieved by sliding a grappling hook down the 50# line and retrieving the grappling hook (1/4 line).

Can't afford to loose em. In a lot of ways.

Scotch Bonnet
06-04-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm missing the point:confused:

Fly Rod
06-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey MEGABYTE ! ! !

Did the LOBSTERS taste GOOD ! ! !:happy: :happy:

NilsC
06-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Scotch Bonnet
I'm missing the point:confused:

---------------------> point

lol, <jk>

:laughs: :smash: don't think there is a point... hehe

SeaWolf
06-05-2003, 07:28 AM
the chances of beaking off w/ wire while using umbrellas is very, very slim. at least when it comes to the fish. losing wire is due to snagging bottom, pots, other boat, or any other structure.

so, i guess it's not bad when you fish mono or braid, get spooled or lose 100 yards of line or so, and breakoff? that fish swims around until either the hook dissolves, breaks, or the fish gets the line tangled around structure and dies. i tend to go w/ the latter.

i don't intend to lose an umbrella just like i don't intend to lose 100 yards of line w/ a plug to a fish. it happens. it's part of the game.

bassmaster
06-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Not to Jump off topic , But For You wire Guys I would say use Monell in #60 and Tie direct to the shute over sand.
and use a leader and a Big snap and use a Jiant Gibbs trolling swimmer in Blue White and Mack RIGHT NOW.
these will put You into bigger fish.

bigshrimpin
06-05-2003, 03:47 PM
the fish dies . . . so what!!! You just helped the lobster population eat dinner. In 13 years of fishing wire, I've NEVER lost a rig - NOT ONE.

softail
06-05-2003, 04:36 PM
They Die:smash:

Megabyte
06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Scotch,

I use 50# mono or wire when trolling 9er rigs.
If I hang a rig up on the bottom I simply back the boat up until I'm directly over the stuck rig.
I then take a grappling hook/foldable anchor attached to 1/4" line and put a shackle on it and over my mono. The grappling hook slides down the mono, the grappling hook fouls in the 9er rig and I haul the grappling hook up by the 1/4" 3 strand line and retrieve my 9er rig. It really works slick.
However, you got to be able to position the boat directly over the rig.

>> Cant afford to loose them in a lot of ways.

At the cost of these rigs I cant afford to leave it at the bottom and it certainly can't help anything down there.

Fly Rod - I'm always looking around when I have to haul a pot, its that shotgun I see on shore that "lets" me put the trap right back where it was. A 9ers rig aint worth a shotgun shell !

Scotch Bonnet
06-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks Megabyte, I like that idea. I did my share of hauling up lobster pot rope last year-not fun........... Although the point I was missing was Linesides(now I get it:mad: ). I have never lost an umbrella rig to a fish and I highly doubt 200lbs of fish(5x40) plus rig and wire would float. So basically I think he's full of $#!T.

bassmaster
06-05-2003, 10:57 PM
guess no one likes big fish

nor-easter
06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Back in the old days when the Umbrella Rig was first brought to the 'Hunk we used them because they worked.
That October when the sand eels were in thick we had a big school of large fish showed up in the big cove in front of the Club.
I remember watching one of the local guides with three fish over fifty on the same umbrella, trying to make up his mind as to which one to gaff first.

I also remember watching another local guide snap at least three rods off at the butt because he was fishing too tight a drag and when one fish hits followed by two more there is just too great a buildup of pressure. Snap goes the Butt and away goes the Rod and Reel.

We went to a single straight bar after that with only three hooked rigs on it. A hooked rig on each end, two hookless dummies inside and one down the middle as a follower.

The real fun part was this was all daytime fishing for about three weeks, all large over forty pound fish!

GBOUTDOORS
06-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Thanks Scotch I was wondering what that smell was. Now I know it was just OLD Linesides. This is the last time I will post to any of his crap and hope the rest of you see it the same way. I hate to see the site become like some others that have more to do with crap and trying to start fights then a good place to meet and fish with some realy GREAT people. Hope to see you at the Mass Leg.

Megabyte
06-06-2003, 09:24 AM
I made my post to lineside's post because I thought that he had brought up a point that we should think about. While I may not agree with his conclusion, I do agree that the less we all leave at the bottom of the ocean, the better off we will all be as well as those pesky little fish :-)

For that reason I posted just one way I found that works to minimize what I leave on the bottom.

If we all find just one way each to help the ocean environment, wow what an ocean it would be.

No, I not an extreme environmentalist, I just care.