View Full Version : multitool

niko
12-17-2012, 09:26 AM
i need a new one. i had a 15 yr old leatherman that was awesome but a guest threw it overboard during a brain cramp. i've bought a few since and they all suck, including 2 new leatherman. anyone reccomend a good one? it's my primary fishing tool. also looking for a moderatly priced, under $100, pair of pliers/cutters

fishbones
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I like the Gerber multi tool. They have some good deals on Amazon right now for them, too.

Jackbass
12-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Gerber flick fish cuts braid one handed operation also
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I always thought of you as a multitool Paul! :rotf2: Hey I hope Santa is good to the boys! Enjoy them....they are growing like weeds! Merry Christmas to you and the Mrs.!:uhuh:

Linesider82
12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Gerber, stay away ... literally 2 hours ago I was out surveying and needed to clear line of sight to set a property corner and my Gerber machete snapped in half while chopping and the other piece flung and got stuck in another tree. P.O.S.

Jackbass
12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Never had a problem with the flick fish a lot different than a machete though

striper50trout
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I had a Leatherman Charge for years without any problems until I lost it last week. I will be getting another one after Christmas, hopefully with a gift card

fishbones
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I've never had a problem with Gerber, but I haven't used a machete made by them, either. My experience with the multi tools has been excellent. And I believe they're US made and have a great warranty.

niko
12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
I always thought of you as a multitool Paul! :rotf2: Hey I hope Santa is good to the boys! Enjoy them....they are growing like weeds! Merry Christmas to you and the Mrs.!:uhuh:
thanks larry, a very merry to the bigfish family. i'll bump into you sometime

Sea Dangles
12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
get a SOG and never look back

Swimmer
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Paul, bought a Browning pair of plier/crimps at Basspro when I retired for $49.95. Just finished second year of use. Worked great. Can even buy cutters for it from Browning, tough I haven't had to yet. Soaking off the crud, and not much of it, down cellar now in a jar of oil where I put that pair and two pair of other crimps I use.

JohnnyD
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Like other people suggested, I'm a pretty big fan of the Gerber multitools. I don't have the flik fish but have the Gerber Black Diesel (www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41545-Diesel-Multi-Plier-Sheath/dp/B000EDVU2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&tag=topitems03-20), which seems to be about the same.

spence
12-17-2012, 06:07 PM
get a SOG and never look back

They have a few nice SOG's on sierratradingpost right now. There's a 40% off coupon as well...makes them less than 50 bucks.

Bazza
12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I like the Gerbers due to the 1 handed openning with the flick of the wrist

Rob Rockcrawler
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Gerber, stay away ... literally 2 hours ago I was out surveying and needed to clear line of sight to set a property corner and my Gerber machete snapped in half while chopping and the other piece flung and got stuck in another tree. P.O.S.

Was that the Bear Grills model? They are under recall if so, for that reason.

I second Gerber multitools, i have had one for about 5 years not and it still works great, i don't know the model but it is a nice tool.

Linesider82
12-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Was that the Bear Grills model? They are under recall if so, for that reason.

Gator model, I liked the saw on the back. It shocked me when it happened, didn't know where the top half went... and naturally checked for blood before finding the top in a tree.

As for multi-tools my buddy Evan has Leatherman MUT (not the MUT-EOD model) lot of nice features, built-in carabiner doubles as a bottle opener, this model has a list of tools specific to firearms if that is a good thing, also flicks open.

Rockfish9
12-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I've never had a problem with Gerber, but I haven't used a machete made by them, either. My experience with the multi tools has been excellent. And I believe they're US made and have a great warranty.

Count me in on the gerber as well... mines probably 10 years old been beat to death but still functions perfectly...it spends half the summer laying on the deck of the boat... then spends the winter in my ice fishing sled... in between i use it at work everyday...

Mojo7
12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
I used a Gerber multi tool for over 10 years for everything from work to fishing without ever having a problem with it. Then I left it on my bumper as I drove off one day!:smash:

Stewie
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
The only multitool I own is the tiniest Swiss Army Knife. For fishing pliers, try the new Sargents. Hook cutter on one side, braid cutter on the other. Jaws are an inch longer than the standard Manley's, and they're STAINLESS. As far as I know you can only buy them from Cabelas. Sears sells a leather sheath for about 6 bucks that fits them perfectly.

Springer
12-19-2012, 02:02 PM
i also looking for a moderatly priced, under $100, pair of pliers/cutters

For the past year I have been using the Sargent Sportsman pliers. These things are solid, cut hooks well.

leptar
12-19-2012, 05:01 PM
SOG, X2...

The only multi-tool you don't need a backup for unless it's lost or stolen.

Along side my Spyderco Para my Sog powerlock is on my hip all day long.

For a pair of cutters that won't break the bank look at the knipex mini-bolt cutters you can find them for around $30-40 and they will cut just about any hook you cant put in their jaw.

Linesider82
12-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Ok go with Gerber, just not a machete. BTW I kept chopping with the other half of the machete. "Keep-a-go!"

Jackbass
12-20-2012, 09:09 AM
SOG, X2...

The only multi-tool you don't need a backup for unless it's lost or stolen.

Along side my Spyderco Para my Sog powerlock is on my hip all day long.

For a pair of cutters that won't break the bank look at the knipex mini-bolt cutters you can find them for around $30-40 and they will cut just about any hook you cant put in their jaw.

X2 on Knipex there stuff rocks. I am an electrician I have gone away from Klein and over to Knipex for my daily use stuff great tools