View Full Version : spending soem big dough....

bobber
12-20-2012, 03:01 PM
OK- I'm starting to get back into surf fishing after a few years on board a boat. had a decent fall between the Canal, RI and CT coasts..... looking at an everyday rod rod fro the beaches- something around 10feet, for 1-3 ounces. (spinning) I throw lots of bombers/SP's, 5" shads, etc.... any suggestions on what rod to buy?? I've been scouruing the websites and am more confused now than before.....

any input is appreciated-

Bob

Slipknot
12-20-2012, 03:27 PM
maybe a lami 120-1L or 120-1M

I have the 1M and it is a great all around rod, priced reasonable too

others can add to that, maybe the letters are gsb, I'm not sure

rizzo
12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes GSB, and nearly indestructible blanks.

I fish both and use 1201-L beach and rock shores or 1201-M if fishing in more current and heavy surf, mixing in heavier stuff and bigger eels. Both have a moderate action to keep from casting eels off, but powerful butt section to turn fish. 90% of the time I'm fishing the 1201-M. If you mix in the canal 100% 1201-M.

You can pick up a good deal on both of those blanks used and can be confident they will last.

tysdad115
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Also the Century line up is great. Versatile,light weight and can handle any fish you throw at it.

bobber
12-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah- I'm just wondering if theres something really special about the $450++ rods versus the $300+ rods.... was flexing a few last night at RiversEnd and couldn't really feel a tangible differeence in the store. If theres a real advantage to go with the Centurys/CTS?Legends/Infinity rods, I would consider it. If its just a weight difference, then I don't think its worth it.... I already have a 1208/Cabo60 combo whcih has been my all-around set-up; would like to get something that throws smaller baits a little better

chefchris401
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Ill throw out some info and maybe one of these will fit your needs.

century has a few rods that fit your suggested lure weight range.

I have the rods listed below and have actually used them in the surf.

you are welcome to try them out if you want, i have met up with a few other people from the site to let them demo the rods themselves instead of just reading online descriptions.

The first one is the sling shot 1265 rated 1 to 3.5oz, 10'6' but can be cut 6" off the butt, fast action, two piece, 50/50 split with machined ferrules, light weight and fast recovery. This is killer bucktail, redfin, sp minnow rod, nice all around rod for the beaches and surf, works a pencil nice too. Will throw the whole weight range nicely, from .75oz to 3oz all day, Suggest retail is $340

The second one is the stealth s1 rated 1 to 4oz, 10', two piece, 60/40 split with machined ferrules, moderate action. Real world will throw .75 to 3.5oz, I used this rod a lot in the spring. Awesome pencil rod, and very easy to throw plugs with it all day. Suggested retail is $335

the one thing about the century rods is your not power casting with them to get the distance, I use about 70% power to cast, which means i can fish longer without killing myself power casting all night.

The thing with a lot of the newer rods, st croix, cts, century, is the materials used, concept guide layout, higher end components, light weight, better recovery. This all adds to the price. A concept rod with 7 fuji guides and hi end reel seat, handle materials will be more than a standard cof guide layout with cork grip.

Your best bet is to try the rods out at a demo or show.

Rob Rockcrawler
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
The GSb's are nice sticks for the money for sure i have had a few of them. I love my Century Stealth though :).

lamigsb1
12-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I used to love my GSBs. Century won me over this year. The 10' Stealth replaced my gsb1201L. I love the fact that its a 2 piece that feels like a one piece
which is great for the apt/condo dweller.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
12-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Also the Century line up is great. Versatile,light weight and can handle any fish you throw at it.

Shills, all of you:rotf2:

pbadad
12-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Bobber, the GSB 1201L is pretty much a light to medium plug rod. i use this set up 90% of the time and 100% Ct fishing. fitted with the concept version set up it's versitility and light tip serves well from 6" bomber to 3oz plugs or eels. i currently just finished a L for a club member. Took it to Montauk bucktailing. Throwing by my COF style 120M with ease. Now for big water , structure and constant 2-3 1/2oz plugs you can't beat it's use. I've thrown Redfins to 5oz riggies and handle 30+ lb fish w/o problem. I don't own but built a few Century rods. They offer a slight different action, faster and crisp rebound. i did demo a 10' stealth a liked the lightness and full action (parabolic). The Sling shot 2-5- 1327 was a nice fit for bigger plugs. Smaller tip diameter than the Lamis but a strong midsection. I do have both lami blanks if you wish to try. Also Ct Surfcasters will be having a demo day Jan. 26 in Killingworth. Century rod )Chef Chris) will be there to show off the rods along with other tackle for sale. Since your getting back into surf fishing this may be a good time to add to your arsenal.

zimmy
12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
all star 1208 cut 6" from the butt???

tysdad115
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Shills, all of you:rotf2:

Hey! I was only offering my opinion. I left all the technical stuff to the pros.

1dozenraw
12-20-2012, 10:20 PM
all star 1208 cut 6" from the butt???
I have that set up. Lot of rod for bombers isn't it?

rizzo
12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Bobber - just one thing to keep in mind if you go higher end blanks. The blanks are lighter, higher modulous, more brittle because of it and more money. Overall, rods range from glass blanks (duller action, but super tough, less money) up to the high end stuff. Goto one of the shows that have them and compare side by side if possible. Nothing beats test casting them, or lining them up and putting some lean into them to see how they would fight.

DZ
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Some good suggestions here - I might add that anytime you plan on purchasing a surf stck that you ALWAYS bring the reel you plan to use and attach it to the rod, string it up with a plug you like to throw, and feel how it flexes, how comfortable is the reel seat, does the reel seat seem too close or too far away from the butt. So many buy a stick without the reel - mistake.

DZ

zimmy
12-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I have that set up. Lot of rod for bombers isn't it?

I was just busting his chops. That is what he currently fishes .He throws more sp's than bombers these days anyway and he needs something to stop a 40lber in honkin current. My advice will be if he wants to get something to complement that rod, a 1201m is not it. He is just needs a blank anyway.

ivanputski
12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
go to csa surfday and try out the century slingshot 10'6" 1265 rated 1-3...

bobber
12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
doh- dhoh, DOH- head is spinning..... can't decide to buy the tried and true 1201Land keep it simple (for now) or just dive in for a CTS/Century (which is what i'm gonna end up wanted eventually.....)

will give the shows a look- my local shop didn't have verything I'm interested in. and I'm being a little impulsive here too probably (want to get myself something nice.....)

ivanputski
12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
the 1201 lamiglas is "diving in" too... they will both run you similar $...

i would HIGHLY suggest test casting any rod before you buy, WITH the reel you will be using... ask someone who has these rods for a test cast... many CSA members have a wide range of rods, and if you ask, im sure they will bring them to CSA surf day next month and let you give them a try.

JLH
12-21-2012, 02:50 PM
go to csa surfday and try out the century slingshot 10'6" 1265 rated 1-3...

This is the rod that I have Pete. It's nice and light and throws lighter plugs and BTs well but I don't have a lot of confidence that it can handle a big fish and it rarely sees much use. It' so light weight that I really feel like I have to baby the rod and that doesn't line up well with my style of fishing. I still need to check out some of the heavier rods in the Century and CTS lineups.

I am impressed with how well the 2 piece rod fits together, now more issues with the top half spinning and needing constant adjusting like a lot of the older 2 piece rods.

capecodkid
12-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a CTS PJ-1004. 10' rated 1-3, rod weighs nothing... It'll do exactly what you described perfectly. It'll throw down under an ounce up to 3-3.5. I've lobbed 5 with it though I would never do it again. Its super powerful for its size, this was my first season with it and I used it as an SP minnow rod in the canal in the spring and turned fish to 30lbs in heavy current. Little bit pricey, you get what you pay for...

nightfighter
12-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I fully agree with ivanputski with regards to testing WITH the reel you intend to use with it. As far as the Cabo 60 you mentioned, I hope you have something else in mind for the new rod. I have a 60 as a back up, and hate it. Cabo 40 is great. The 60 just doesn't balance or feel right on any rod I have... and I will list it in classifieds after the holidays. Since you are going for the rod, consider looking into a reel as well.

Poncho
12-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Sw1209,rain shadow. Will do everything you said very nicely. The sensitive tip also makes it nice for eeling

bobber
12-21-2012, 08:10 PM
the Cabo has been a workhorse, and sits on my 1208 well-enough. I do have a new reel in mind for the rod too (was gonna keep the 1208 setup intact for heavier tackle....)
reel I'm looking at is the new Shimano Ultegra5500XSC - "longcast version of a Stradic" is how its been described to me. not available in the US, but should be here in a year or two.

thanks everyone for the input- glad to hear everyone's ideas.... keep it comin'

tradrodz
12-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a GSB 1201m and fish CT and RI it's a great all around 10 footer, I'm actually considering having another one built I like it so much

zimmy
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
anyone fish the ss 1145? That seems like the right size and ratings for the ct shore, but I haven't used one to know.

bobber
12-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Zim- I've had a couple guys who are familiar with many of these models contact me to "test-drive" their stuff...... some right in yer back yard. will keep you in the loop if I meet up with any of them in case you want to check them out as well....

Ian
12-22-2012, 12:17 AM
For lighter stuff I love my Stealth... 11' S1...

saajr
12-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Does anyone have info on buying century blanks wholesale?

tysdad115
12-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have info on buying century blanks wholesale?

Look up BigDave on here, or call Ryan at Hatteras Jack. You can PM SgtStriper too, he can help you out.

PaulS
12-22-2012, 02:24 PM
anyone fish the ss 1145? That seems like the right size and ratings for the ct shore, but I haven't used one to know.

My friend Mike has one. Not sure if you've meet him. I'm gonna try getting one for the spring.

Heard you got a nice haircut this week:biglaugh:

zimmy
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
My friend Mike has one. Not sure if you've meet him. I'm gonna try getting one for the spring.

Zuba?

Heard you got a nice haircut this week:biglaugh:

My haircuts are making town gossip :buds:

as

MAKAI
12-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice job interview style.

striper junkie
12-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Are you looking for an off the shelf rod or a blank to get wrapped? For an off the shelf rod, no one mentioned the mojo. I fished the 9' quite a bit the last two seasons and loved it, and it won't break the bank. Some people have had issues, but I never did. The 10'6" would fit your specifications. If you are going to go the custom route, I have both the GSB 1201 L and M and love them both. I have the L set up for a VS 150 and the M for the 200. The L is nice and light, but can still turn a good sized fish, and the M is probably the best overall blank out there, in my opinion. It will throw SP's all the way to 4oz metal lips and huge eels. Love that rod.

JohnnySaxatilis
12-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Are you looking for an off the shelf rod or a blank to get wrapped? For an off the shelf rod, no one mentioned the mojo. I fished the 9' quite a bit the last two seasons and loved it, and it won't break the bank. Some people have had issues, but I never did. The 10'6" would fit your specifications. If you are going to go the custom route, I have both the GSB 1201 L and M and love them both. I have the L set up for a VS 150 and the M for the 200. The L is nice and light, but can still turn a good sized fish, and the M is probably the best overall blank out there, in my opinion. It will throw SP's all the way to 4oz metal lips and huge eels. Love that rod.

yeap I've been fishing the mojo 1-4 10' for the last 2 years almost exclusively and its been great to me, great all around rod, the max I'd go with it was 3oz maybe 3.5 though. But its a great small lure rod, and landed some very nice fish in the ditch with it, however it felt undergunned with a heavy current. I bet the 10'6'' would be perfect for your application... Now I got myself a cts S7 3-6 late this season. no longer undergunned :rocketem: