View Full Version : Camera

ProfessorM
12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
opinions on the Olympus Tough TG-820

Olympus Tough TG-820 Digital Compact Camera | Olympus Imaging Australia (http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Digital-Cameras/Tough/TG-820.aspx)

numbskull
12-25-2012, 09:21 PM
This one would be better for you what you do, Paul.
Vtech Kidizoom Camera - Pink : Target (http://www.target.com/p/vtech-kidizoom-camera-pink/-/A-13357638?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13357638&CPNG=Toys&kpid=13357638&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13357638)

iamskippy
12-25-2012, 09:41 PM
:rotf2:This one would be better for you what you do, Paul.
Vtech Kidizoom Camera - Pink : Target (http://www.target.com/p/vtech-kidizoom-camera-pink/-/A-13357638?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13357638&CPNG=Toys&kpid=13357638&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13357638)

JohnnySaxatilis
12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
this is a re gift in the making lol!

Looks like a great camera paul, I was lookin at one and the price tag made me think of how serious I was about photography. think it would be great for takin some pictures of the salt and spray. good luck with it, let us know how you do. supposed to be a fantastic outdoorsey type addition to the tech savvy person...

scottw
12-26-2012, 07:44 AM
don't know if this helps but I've been using the Tough TG-1 for several months and it's a fantastic camera...great,crisp night shots...easily adjusts for an array of of pic options, low light setting, auto point and shoot is really good....programmable custom settings..sealed and rugged so far...still learning it....

JohnR
12-26-2012, 08:02 AM
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15513734460734381971?q=TG-820&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.b2U&bpcl=40096503&biw=1036&bih=590&sa=X&ei=1fTaUM6BHOio2wXR0ICgBA&ved=0CHcQ8wIwAjgo&prds=scoring:p

I have a much older version that is pretty good.

:rotf2:

ProfessorM
12-26-2012, 08:14 AM

very funny. Is it water resistant?

Thanks guys, except George, I got it for xmas. Looks like a decent camera and as much as I would want to spend on a camera I will probably not be very nice to.

saltfly
12-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Good luck with your new toy.One of the good features is it's tight to 30+ feet.In the area you fish you'll be able to retrieve it off the sandy bottom and it will still work.

Got Stripers
12-26-2012, 08:48 AM
That looks cool, I bought a Go-Pro early last season with all the accessories and frankly I've used it twice. I think I'm putting that puppy up for sale and going with a more family pic orientated camera, I just never became a fan of the fish eye look. Paid around $375 for the lot, anyone interested pm me, been used about 4 times total and obvioulsy its brand new. I'll be taking a pic soon of all the accessories and posting in on the classified, but hey if you want to save me the trouble, make me an offer.

Jackbass
12-26-2012, 09:07 AM
I have the 6020 an earlier version and it takes very good photos. Just don't use the Olympus software it all but killed a machine of mine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Good luck with your new toy.One of the good features is it's tight to 30+ feet.In the area you fish you'll be able to retrieve it off the sandy bottom and it will still work.

He'll be able to grab it with his toes with one foot still in the boat...

puppet
12-26-2012, 11:48 AM
This is my experience with waterproofed cameras.

It pays to do some online research on current models. Every
year...improvements will push different models to the front of the line. At the
time I purchased mine...the Panasonic TS2 was the top....no longer true, as the
current generation(TS4) of the series showed leakage issues from different reviews
including customer reviews on amazon.

In terms of waterproof cameras...Like waterproof reels(no matter
the brand)...You need to consider and treat them as water
resistant... especially in the salt. Even though these cameras are
rated to be submerged for long periods I do not. It treat is as
splash resistant with an occasional underwater shot or two.
My TS2 is two years old and hasn't leaked yet. But it has show signs
of pitting...the metal shell has corroded from the salt. I can only
guess that eventually the waterproofing will be breached. For my
camera and others...you are supposed to soak them in fresh
water after use in the ocean. I mostly do not...and perhaps only do
it every 10 outings if I remember. I am lazy...and I will eventually
pay the price.

My first surf camera was not waterproof. It slipped out of my camera bag without
me knowing...Then I saw it tumbling in the wash. Toast! My second was a
"waterproof" Pentax Optio W30...awesome camera, but the first time wading with
it....it was underwater for about five minutes... the waterproofing was breached.
Toast! Pentax replaced it with a new one and it lasted for about a year before the
waterproofing failed again. I babied the camera and it rarely was submerged. That
camera took awesome pictures. Now I have the Panasonic TS2...I like it but still do
not have it dialed in in terms of picture quality. It is still going strong, but I have
been limiting its time underwater. This season I started wetsuiting...and I keep the
camera in a small drybag on my belt.

It seems that in general the technology is getting better. The doors and gaskets
have become more reliable. The biggest note is that although these are claimed to be
waterproof....it does not mean that they are beach or ocean proof. It just takes some
sand or salt buildup to give water a passage into the electronics. You
need to maintain them and baby them a bit in these environments.

If bulk is not an issue...camera housings are an option. I do not have
experience with them so I can not give advise, but will say I have a
preference in canon products and if I were to go with a camera with
a waterproof housing, I would bee-line to cannon. I feel canon is the
easiest and nicest point and shoot on the market. Their waterproof
version does not get good reviews....which is why I do not own one.

Below is the search I did this fall past came up with the Olympus Tough TG-1 as being
the top pick of all the life-proof camera. I do not own one, but I did the
research for a friend.

I hope the info is helpful.

Conclusion - Waterproof Camera Showdown - The Best Waterproof Camera 2012 (http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/Features/2012-Waterproof-Camera-Showdown/Conclusion.htm)

Pentax Optio WG-2 review - Pocket-lint (http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5873/pentax-optio-wg-2-review)

Olympus Tg-1-Ihs Review: Overview (http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/tg-1-ihs/olympus-tg-1-ihs-review.html)

Best LifeProof Cameras - 2012 Edition (http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/best-lifeproof-cameras.html)

Olympus Tough TG-1 Digital Camera Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com (http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Olympus-Tough-TG-1-Digital-Camera-Review.htm)

numbskull
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Looks like a decent camera and as much as I would want to spend on a camera I will probably not be very nice to.

Hopefully it has an arrow on it showing you which way to point it, otherwise your pictures will often look like snot.

ProfessorM
12-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I have the intention of water resistant. Just want something that in case i get it wet by accident I won't ruin it. Hopefully when I do get the chance to take a pic of George the lens won't shatter. It didn't say anything about being ugly proof so all of your pics will have to be taken with a bag over your head. The unknown fisherman.

Linesider82
12-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I have the older model of that camera for probably six years now, maybe longer... anyways I've dropped it in the water several times, including bouncing it off a rock once without issues. It is significantly easier to use than the gopro, and you can see what you just took a picture of without having to purchase anything else. Also works well in very cold temps, it usu. sits in my chest pocket while snowboarding/ice fishing and turns on/takes pictures like it's in the 70's and not 10 degrees. I don't know George so I can't say if it will handle that or not. Enjoy.

ProfessorM
12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't know George so I can't say if it will handle that or not.

Are you lucky:uhuh: Count your blessings

thanks for the input guys

puppet
12-26-2012, 02:11 PM
It didn't say anything about being ugly proof so all of your pics will have to be taken with a bag over your head. The unknown fisherman.

The lenses these days are reinforced with microscopic carbon fibers,
proven to resist cracking or fogging over from even the ugliest
characters known.

I would guess that any of the life-proof cameras would exceed your
requirements...especially if it will be dry most of the time. It comes
down to the features you want and the cost. You may even consider
getting an older model or a cheaper one. There are some on the
market for half the cost.

Some of these high end cameras have gps...which I really don't
understand as it seems to be a huge overhead and not a feature I
want. Like...all the pics are stamped with coordinates of where the
picture is taken...Creepy! I am not sure how accessible the info is
or if it transfers and can be read by others, but it seems to me to
be an invasion of privacy. Most reviews state that having the GPS
on will really drain the battery. The good thing about the 820....is
that it comes without a GPS....so at least you are not paying for a
feature you will disable.

I just noticed that I didn't read the full thread and you
already have the camera. I am sure it is going to be awesome.

MAKAI
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
My older Olympus died in my raincoat pocket.
The service dept said I should have been sending it in for seal maintenance...... didn't see that in the manual.
That said I'll probably get another one with the 2.0 lens. ( good reviews)
Fishing is expensive no matter what I do.

Sea Dangles
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Still like the fuji they have at costco. Short money and water/shock/dust proof.Kids use in the pool underwater and it can be buried in sand.I would tell any parent to grab one because with the fancy cameras theysell usually have to be put away in those conditions and they are missing the best shots.

I hope your elbow is improving Paul and I am anxious to put a beacon on your new ride.

ProfessorM
12-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Chris. Getting better but still not sure it will be all the way better. Have not pushed it yet.
On another note I was in Westport at my sis house x mas eve and talked to my bro in law and he said something about having to get a template of the seat or what ever he was going to do for you. He did get on your boat and measured some stuff but he said he needs a template to make sure. Maybe you can give him a call. I will PM you his #. Have a happy and healthy new year.

macojoe
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I have Olympus stylus tough 3000, 12 mp, 5ft shockproof, 10ft waterproof, and think its a great camera! I have dropped it, and got it wet, but not under water as is says it can go. 2 years now and, has taken tons of great pic's.

Hardcore
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Olympus customer service is great. I deposited Ron's camera in the ocean off the coast of cuttyhunk. We had some valuable pictures in the camera and decided to bring our masks and dive for it 3 weeks later. Surprisingly we found the camera and although the camera was destroyed. It remained water tight. We where able to retrieve the photos. We wrote to Olympus telling the story the sent him and new upgraded camera.

Zeno
12-27-2012, 05:05 AM
I have that camera. Great focusing, great shots and colors. The controls are a bit pain till you get used to it. The video at 1080 is insane but of course the automatic focus is suspect as it usually is in these type of cameras but if you got a steady hand you can take some amazing video

mag minnow
12-27-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm still using an old Olympus 850 without issue...My first waterproof camera. Not a lot of bells and whistles like newer cameras but it's more than adequate for me.

macojoe
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I did this, well my son id with my tough 3000

002 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1JBOIuklgc)

RIJIMMY
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a similar model from 2 yrs ago and have used it underwater snorkeling for days and it works fine. I just rinse off the salt water. Great camera.

ProfessorM
12-27-2012, 05:37 PM
great. Thanks guys for all the feedback

Looks like the only add on I will have to remember is the bag for George's head.

numbskull
12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
:rude:

ProfessorM
12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
awesome you bring your own bag.

Fibrestar
12-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I use a Olympus TG-1 which I bought in Aug. and has been fishing with me since I got it. Great photos, video and 60per sec is really cool. Cool thing is it's small enough that it isn't a pain to carry around. I put it in my dry top pocket!

5/0
12-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Some of these high end cameras have gps...which I really don't
understand as it seems to be a huge overhead and not a feature I
want. Like...all the pics are stamped with coordinates of where the
picture is taken...Creepy! I am not sure how accessible the info is
or if it transfers and can be read by others, but it seems to me to
be an invasion of privacy. Most reviews state that having the GPS
on will really drain the battery. The good thing about the 820....is
that it comes without a GPS....so at least you are not paying for a
feature you will disable.
I feel the same way about the GPS I haven't really figured out the logic behind this feature,honestly feel it's a gimmick.

Olympus customer service is great. We wrote to Olympus telling the story the sent him and new upgraded camera.
I haven't tried there customer service,I could of this past summer when my Stylus 8K took a terminal internal bath in the ocean,battery door for opened....The newer one's have two locks on each door.
I like the redundancy.

I use a Olympus TG-1 which I bought in Aug. and has been fishing with me since I got it. Great photos, video and 60per sec is really cool. Cool thing is it's small enough that it isn't a pain to carry around. I put it in my dry top pocket!'s

The pics are cleaner than my previous Oylmpus model I haven't tried the custom setting on it.
I bought the F-con and the T-con "add on lens",they make a huge difference for there functions. the F-con is a fish eye type lens that's used for a wide angle and single panoramic shots, a nice touch but this won't be used much.The T-con changes everything in regards to point and shoot style cameras.it brings it to a 35MM style you can zoom in on far away shots but stay in focus for a cleaner in depth shot,this lens pretty much stays on all the time.this makes it a bit bulky but well worth it.
Also the lens's are water/dust tight to 40'.