View Full Version : Wood filler suggestions

chefchris401
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I would look this up but search function doesn't work on the iPhone.

What are you guys using for weight hole filler?

I used a regular wood filler in the past, and was ok but seems to keep shrinking over time.

First round of plugs are dry and ready to be weighted and filled.

Thanks-
Chef

nightfighter
12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/76339-wood-filler-smaller-plugs-made-soft-wood.html

stripermaineiac
12-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Flex coat epoxt. Sets over night then sand on lathe. Won't swell or shrink an weights stay where they're supposed too.Works good enough that it's hard to find the weights in most of my plugs.Just need to not oversand as it will affect plug diameter.

Hookset
12-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Tried a variety of things including 2 part epoxy and wood filler. The best I have found is Elmer's carpenters structural wood repair, waterproof and sandable comes in 2 small 3oz tubs where you take a little puddy from each and mix together

I also take most my round weights and flatten them a little with a hammer so they hide better
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Ready patch. usually 2 coats. Whatever it's a PITA. Many times a pour lead then file down smooth. Flexcoat worked good. When I would coat rod and have left over coordinate the weight hole filling. Unfortunately that doesn't happen often.

ProfessorM
12-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Bondo works. I use a marine epoxy 2 part, 60 minute set time, hard as a rock. Small tubes . I get it at home stores. Got that from Mac, still use it.

BigFish
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Minwax wood filler! Never, ever, ever, ever shrinks! Easy to work with 2 part....sands silky smooth!

numbskull
12-27-2012, 07:13 AM
The fumes are a disadvantage of lots of fillers like bondo or minwax. I stick with the marine epoxy. You can also mix sawdust into regular epoxy.

johnny ducketts
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Plumbers epoxy
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishing bum wannabe
12-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Been using Bondo for years. sets up quick, can be worked after 15-30 minutes and is fully harded after 24 hours. A good trick is to drill for, place and epoxy in body weights before trimming ends, overfill the hole and let the bondo set 15-30 minutes, re-chuck it in the lathe, trim the lure using your duplicator and final sand.

O.D. Mike
12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Been using Bondo for years. sets up quick, can be worked after 15-30 minutes and is fully harded after 24 hours. A good trick is to drill for, place and epoxy in body weights before trimming ends, overfill the hole and let the bondo set 15-30 minutes, re-chuck it in the lathe, trim the lure using your duplicator and final sand.

Thanks for sharing Fred! Good to see you posting again!!!

BigFish
12-27-2012, 05:55 PM

BINGO! Thats how I do it!!! Easy, peasy....Japanesey!:uhuh: