View Full Version : Help,I am lost

Sea Dangles
12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Looking to get offshore a little more often this coming season and I am wondering if a PLB is "good enough" or whether I should go directly to an EPIRB. Suggestions please.

beamie
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Great question Dangles, have been wondering the same thing since they both operate on 406MHz, that is the important part. If going with the PLB go with the floating models. The realistic advantage of the real Epirb is mounting it in the hydrostatic release. though I will say small boats don't always sink and this won't release until it gets to a certain depth so it will stay with the boat and so should you. Of course if your plb is packed away in a bag that you can't get to then also useless. Things ofen happen unexpected and fast. So important to have the plb in a handy location if going that route. 'but as fare as locating function I believe it would be the same, must register also.

BigBo
12-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sure you know this Chris, but I'll throw it out there anyways (not that I'm an expert mind you). The PLB's can only be activated manually and typically worn by one person onboard the vessel where the EPIRB is generally mounted to the boat and activated when submersed in water.
That said, a lot of guys I know have gone to the PLB's because of cost. And any signal is better than none at all. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

thefishingfreak
12-29-2012, 09:46 AM
If you're wearing lt and you fall overboard and disappear the other crew members will be without a beacon
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator
12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
An advantage for a PLB is that you could bring it with you when going on someone else's boat.

Bronko
12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
An advantage for a PLB is that you could bring it with you when going on someone else's boat.

Why weren't you wearing it the night KR took us for the scare of a lifetime in the cut? I still have nightmares. I just want to be held.

Piscator
12-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Why weren't you wearing it the night KR took us for the scare of a lifetime in the cut? I still have nightmares. I just want to be held.

Ha ha! I had it with me, I always bring it. He always brings his on my boat too!

niko
12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
is the plb small enough that you could clip it to your belt and have it not be in the way?

PRBuzz
12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
is the plb small enough that you could clip it to your belt and have it not be in the way?

Yes, here's the specs on this model:

ACR ResQLink+™
406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon
Product Number: 2881
Model Number: PLB-375 (ResQLink+)

At 5.4 oz, the ResQLink+ weighs less than a couple of PowerBars®. And topping at just 4.5", it's smaller than the cell phone in your pocket. Small and mighty, the ResQLink+ is a full-powered, GPS-enabled rescue beacon designed for boaters, pilots and water-borne sportsmen.

With three levels of integrated signal technology - GPS positioning, a powerful 406 MHz signal, and 121.5 MHz homing capability - the ResQLink+™ quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of search and rescue satellites. A built-in strobe light provides visibility during night rescues.

PLBs have been proven tried and true in some of the world's most remote locations and treacherous conditions. Just ask the 400 or so pilots, boaters and back country explorers who were saved by a PLB during a rigorous test program in Alaska. Based in large part on the test results, the federal government approved use of PLBs in the United States in 2003.

Even in extreme conditions and situations, the ResQLink activates easily. Just deploy the antenna and press the ON button. With its powerful 66 channel GPS, the ResQLink+™ guides rescuers to within 100 meters or less of your position. And, in the continental U.S., search and rescue personnel are typically alerted of your position in as little as five minutes with a GPS-enabled PLB such as the ResQLink+™.

Two built-in tests allow you to routinely verify that the ResQLink+™ is functioning and ready for use - with the push of a button, you can easily test internal electronics and GPS functionality.

Raider Ronnie
12-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Going offshore (or even inshore)
You can never have too much safety gear when bad things happen.
You can certainly not have enough !
Get both.

Sea Dangles
12-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I havbe read EPIRB goes on the boat and should be the first option.They have a class 1 and 2,class 1 is auto deployment. Fishing alone at night it would be nice to have something clipped to the vest in case you are discharged from the vessel. I think the smart decision is the epirb and I would never second guess myself for beng too safe.

Nebe
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Don't forget a whistle and a light

big jay
12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
This is a no brainer, and I'm sure you already know the right answer.

keeperreaper
01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd get both Chris. I always carry my plb on EVERY boat I go on. I put it in my pocket. Small and lightweight. Redundancy is a great thing especially in the canyons. Like someone posted earlier if your boat is foam filled it might not sink to a depth great enough to set off the epirb. I carry it when I hike or hunt too.

Van
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
My 0.02....
For the amount of times I go offshore, I got the ACR plb.
The ACR has a floating pouch accessory for like 10 bucks.

Lay it on dash, clip it on your PDF or put somewhere it will be accessible or will be free to float to the top.

Pros: Small and portable. Works fine way offshore.
Cons: It is manually activated.

Either way its better than not having one at all, (which I did for many years). I have taken it on other boats too.

likwid
01-04-2013, 07:07 AM
ACR GlobalFix PRO Cat 2 and mount it in an easily accessible spot.
This is for the BOAT.

PLBs are for your person.

Wait around for a bit, ACR offers deals pretty often.

beamie
01-04-2013, 08:04 AM
This is a little bit of symantics but just to clarify.

Don't say that EPIRP's are for "the boat".......it is really for the situation. Epirbs don't stay with the boat.

If a Cat 1, it releases, or you hope it realeases and activates. Where does this go??? it is drifting in the ocean, hopefully after you get over the initial shock of the incident, it is in site of you and you can grab it and keep it with you. But lets face it, usually it is not a bluebird day. So the epirb in the end may end up hundreds of yards or miles from you until you are rescued.

The Cat 2 has to be manually activated, so this turns out to be a bigger PLB. And try to keep this with You, if not it drifts away just like the Cat 1.

On ships we make it someones duty to grab the Cat 1, if there is time, in an abandon ship situation so this stays with one of the lifeboats/liferafts since they do not have an epirb of there own. There is just 1 Cat 1 for the vessel. We also have other means of distress comms also.

likwid
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
This is a little bit of symantics but just to clarify.

Don't say that EPIRP's are for "the boat".......it is really for the situation. Epirbs don't stay with the boat.

If a Cat 1, it releases, or you hope it realeases and activates. Where does this go??? it is drifting in the ocean, hopefully after you get over the initial shock of the incident, it is in site of you and you can grab it and keep it with you. But lets face it, usually it is not a bluebird day. So the epirb in the end may end up hundreds of yards or miles from you until you are rescued.

The Cat 2 has to be manually activated, so this turns out to be a bigger PLB. And try to keep this with You, if not it drifts away just like the Cat 1.

On ships we make it someones duty to grab the Cat 1, if there is time, in an abandon ship situation so this stays with one of the lifeboats/liferafts since they do not have an epirb of there own. There is just 1 Cat 1 for the vessel. We also have other means of distress comms also.

Tell me, what is an EPIRB registered to?
What is a PLB registered to?

beamie
01-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Tell me, what is an EPIRB registered to?
What is a PLB registered to?

Like I said Likwid.....a bit of symantics, yes an Epirb is registered to a vessel, and a PLB is for an individual......the people coming to rescue you are not coming to rescue the boat they are coming for you (people). Do you think they will come get you if you lend your plb to someone else for the weekend and it is not registered in the same name as the person in peril? of course to will.

The point I am trying to make for the people that don't know how it works is that the epirb does not stay with the boat when deployed.

Nebe
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
I think what Likwid is trying to say is that in a worse case scenario, the boat goes gown and the epirb then goes I to the life raft. If for some unforeseen reason, someone is separated from the life raft, they have their personal beacon. I would have an epirb from the boat and a personal beacon as well.

smac
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes, here's the specs on this model:

ACR ResQLink+™
406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon
Product Number: 2881
Model Number: PLB-375 (ResQLink+)

At 5.4 oz, the ResQLink+ weighs less than a couple of PowerBars®. And topping at just 4.5", it's smaller than the cell phone in your pocket. Small and mighty, the ResQLink+ is a full-powered, GPS-enabled rescue beacon designed for boaters, pilots and water-borne sportsmen.

With three levels of integrated signal technology - GPS positioning, a powerful 406 MHz signal, and 121.5 MHz homing capability - the ResQLink+™ quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of search and rescue satellites. A built-in strobe light provides visibility during night rescues.

PLBs have been proven tried and true in some of the world's most remote locations and treacherous conditions. Just ask the 400 or so pilots, boaters and back country explorers who were saved by a PLB during a rigorous test program in Alaska. Based in large part on the test results, the federal government approved use of PLBs in the United States in 2003.

Even in extreme conditions and situations, the ResQLink activates easily. Just deploy the antenna and press the ON button. With its powerful 66 channel GPS, the ResQLink+™ guides rescuers to within 100 meters or less of your position. And, in the continental U.S., search and rescue personnel are typically alerted of your position in as little as five minutes with a GPS-enabled PLB such as the ResQLink+™.

Two built-in tests allow you to routinely verify that the ResQLink+™ is functioning and ready for use - with the push of a button, you can easily test internal electronics and GPS functionality.

Ding, Ding, Ding. This thing fits in your PFD pocket. This is what I wore before I retired. Easy to test, and operate. On my list to get before the season starts.

Mr. Sandman
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Fwiw,,, I have keep a class 1 epirb mounted to the boat and a plb in my ditch bag ( among lot of other struff). Its nice to have a plb because you can take you if you if you join a friend. I think a lotnof people have the misconception that... Well I don't go offshore much so I do not need a locating device. The fact is it can be a life saving device relatively inshore as well. Last season a boat picked up 3 guys hanging on to a cooler who being pulled out past gay head...they were in the water like 8 hours. (boat prop got hung up on pot warp or something, went stern to waves, swamped). This is one of those cases wherr anything is better than nothing and more is better,

striperman36
01-11-2013, 10:34 AM
JACKK was one of those guys