View Full Version : Killing time with this boring rant!!!!!! But its true!!!!

eelman
02-12-2001, 03:09 PM
I sit here looking at my daughter taking a nap on the couch with the dog,Cute site!! (thank god she is napping)!!!!

Im thinking about frank giving all that advice on the other board.I think if frank told them to strip naked,bark at the moon and cast while holding there peckers in there hands , they would do it!

I love to fish,I always will, But Im going through a sort of "burn out" with it.I think alot of things are to blame.The internet is fun and all that but it made fishing a "24" hour topic and, I dont know about you guys but for me it kind of made me realize that there is more to the short life we all have than casting string at water and praying a hungry fish will eat. We spend thousands of dollars just to acheive that end.

I have had many good years on the water and tons of good memories that no one can take away.I want to look at fishing now as more of a fun sport and not as a job,as I have done for the last decade and a half.

The past few years,I would fish and then post about fishing,and then talk about fishing and then fish again and then write emails etc...etc...etc..... 24-7 eat sleep fish write,do it again until I could find nothing more to talk about on the subject.

There really is not a challenge to fishing any more for me anyway,I have done everything I wanted and then some.

Many of my friends have slowed way down,Joe flip,my rock solid partner for the last ten years went out a total of about 7 nights last year.My friend steve is feeling the effects of age and late nights combined with work,He never fishes past 11 or 12 pm at all anymore unless we make an island trip here and there.I now understand the way they feel,Although I am younger then them,I started fishing much younger than they did.We would all go fishing 7 nights a week 8 monthesout of the year and I swear from may until november I can count the times on one hand that I saw daylight????

I think fishing at that level is only bad and can lead to a prmature burnout.The internet just made fishing intergrate into life all the more,Now you cant escape at all,Its always there all year around the clock.

Take some advice and fish less!! Im looking forward to waking up this summer and seeing the daylight for a change!! Going to the beach without a ROD!! Not being to tierd to do anything with my family because I need to sleep all day!! Thats how divorces happen and, for the sake of my daughter,thats not something I want to happen.

I still plan to fish,but on my terms for a change,a couple of nights a week just to clear the cobwebs and enjoy it.I no longer get jealeous if someone has a killer night,Believe me, I have had my share of blitzy nights.

I also miss my friends that are slowing down and its just not the same anymore.Tim is leaving the fisherman and plans on spending more time in florida.

I also,hate the cold now, never did before but,now I hate it!!! Why should I go out on a fall night and freezz my arse off for a couple more 20lb fish?? what difference would it make in the overall scheme of things,Let the new blood have those fish.I will be curled up under the blankets on those nights!!

I want to catch my fish on 70deggree nights with a nice light wind and be back home by 11pm!!!

I have missed lots of chances in life because of fishing and, life is to short to miss out on anymore.I fished so much that I never saw the news!! My favorite station was the weather chanell !! Thats all I watched!! My favorite radio station was NOAA Weather and mike carbone's voice is still in my head!! "From the merrimack river to chatham ma, out to twenty five nautical miles,Tonight South wind increasing to 25knots waves 8 foot but around 4 at the bay entrance diminshing late" from chatham to watch hill out to twenty five nautical miles ,tonight Light south wind becoming southwest and increasing too 15 knots by morning,waves 4 to 6 feet, mostly in swells""" Sound familiar?? Thats the only "Music" I ever listened too.Now NOAA Uses some stupid automated voice?? Even that has changed.....

I think I was in COMA for 20 years and just found out they put a guy on the moon!!!

Seriously,Dont let the "hobby" become an obsession,It will never have a happy ending,You will end up hateing The very thing you love.............

Got Stripers
02-12-2001, 03:33 PM
Maybe it's time for you to buy the boat, and god forbid, fish during the daylight. I used to fish the 7pm to 2pm shift and picked my nights on the north river to catch the dropping tides that hit those hours. Started years ago out of a 17 foot coleman Scanoe & 4.5 Evenrude, then moved up to the Tracker. After I started to feel the affects of age, I found I just didn't have the energy or drive to fish those hours any longer. Switched to the morning shift and now fish from 4:30 am-noon.

Best thing I ever did. Now I'm not wiped out from lack of sleep, I still catch my share of bigger fish and enjoy fast action with good numbers of schoolies. I enjoy the heat of the sun on my aching joints, rather than the stiffening chill of the night and that has made a big difference in my enjoyment level.

Tight lines.

DZ
02-12-2001, 03:53 PM
Bill,
We've talked about burnout recently. There comes a time when you slow down. Your reaching that point. It happened to me after my children were born. When you do slow down you will start to appreaciate your time on the beach more. One of the things I have learned over the many years of fishing non stop is "When to quit". As much as you hate to admit it while your casting there are nights when the bass are not coming out to play. Knowing when to quit will improve your outlook about the sport and allow you to enjoy your family to the fullest. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 nights a week in nowadays, and they're not even all nighters. Slow yourself down a bit. The pangs to get on the beach will come again, and you will enjoy the surf much more than ever.
PS: Don't ever get a boat!
DZ

JohnR
02-12-2001, 04:18 PM
Probably do you some good to fish at a more relaxed pace and get to spend more quality time with your family... Allison will be in school before you know it (but still not soon enough,eh?). Learn to enjoy it again... I'm still in the gotta go stage but I intend to make more time available for my son and my wife too...

Saltheart
02-12-2001, 04:48 PM
To me , fishing has to enhance your life. It can't be your whole life forever.
My situation is such that I only get the one night for sure a week and maybe one more every other week. Between work and the people in my life who don't fish , that's all there is time for. I am glad though that we fish every Friday. Tired , sore , bad weather , that one day , we fish. There are times where I wish I could go every day. I do agree though that if all you do is fish , every single day , you will burn out and tire of it. Even when I was going 4 days a week , I really looked forward to seeing the other people there and that sort of comradery thing. If it weren't for that being part of the scene , I don't think I'd have gone as often.
I can honestly say though that now , i wish i could go more. Not every day but just a little more. I would like to start going 2 days a week for sure then add the special occasions. Its unlikely I will be able to work out a schedule that allows 2 days a week , every week but its something to hope for.
I think fishing with new people helps get you psyched too. I really look forward to Tim and Charlie coming up for the weekends at the Ditch. I also liked going an extra day in the morning before work with Fishpart. You couldn't do it every weekend or every morning but from time to time , it was great to be able to go the extra times.

So I guess each persons situation is different. If you can only go now and then , you crave more time on the water. If you are going all the time , you start to wonder about what other things in life you are missing out on.

Good topic , #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. I know what you mean.

eelman
02-12-2001, 04:56 PM
I know dennis,I now admire the guy who can leave it alone for night.Like I said I love to fish,I just want to keep it that way.This summer should be a fun one for Ali now that she is 3,I want to see it!!

I also want to have a few cookouts with friends and family without the pressure of having to leave to fish and just genneraly enjoy "normall" life for a change.I spent alot of money for this house,I would like to see it in the daytime when the weather is nice!! I also have alot of improvments to make outside which Im looking forward to doing this spring. I need to fence in the dog and the kid,Put up a potting shed for the wife, rebuild my deck..etc...etc...etc..... I cant wait to start!!

eelman
02-12-2001, 05:06 PM
Hey salty,For me it was never a comroderie thing.I had the few friends I fish with and that was enough for me.I also concentrate on night fishing and dont run accross to many other people at those hours.While it was fun to fish The bottom line was always the fish,Not having a love fest.We were there to catch fish and thats it!!

My attitude was always that to many cooks spoil the stew.We fished and keeped our spots to our self and always looked upon everyone else as having a motive , a way in, drag some info out of us.I think the guys I fish with are of the old school mentality and I adopted that train of thought.

I have always said that if you want to make friends join a lonely hearts club but, if you want to catch fish avoid new people and never trust anyone with your spots.When people would ask where we caught our fish we would always lie!!That was wrong,we should have just said we cant say.We didnt even want people within 10 miles of us!!

Im not that way anymore,I will fish with anyone now as long as they respect the spots I take them too.

BTW, Dennis I WILL NEVER GET A BOAT!!!!!!!!!!

chris L
02-12-2001, 05:11 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Its sounds like you are on the road to recovery . I too fished to the point of burnout and luckily 7 years ago we decided to have kids ( married 17) . I take care of both my daughters every night during the week wife works nights now . I go out on Friday and come home on Sunday not every weekend but most . I love being with my girls and I still love fishing . Just have to pick my times properly and enjoy every minute . You have a beautiful daughter at a perfect age to hang with and enjoy . She is alo enough for you to teach her the finer things in life . Working on a house has its rewards also .

good luck and welcome back to the real world LOL and Please enjoy your time with your wife and daughter life is too short not too .

Clammer
02-12-2001, 07:33 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& ----you reached that place in life good for you that your still young [er] It took me along time and it took its toll I can relate to everything you/ve said // as the young one say /// been there ,done that. EVERYTHING revolved around fishing friends,???, family work, play ?? yeah right!! Same thing about spots--- ask me no questions- I'll tell you no lies!! too many years, too many trips, enjoy your kids and your wife NOW/// life is short Last week I posted that I would take anybody any where fishing----I had to reread that three time to make sure I said that. I don't have rods in the truck or boat unless im going fishing. sometimes I just drive someplace and watc.h others.I"ve learned the hard way , hope you continue to feel the same way when the Stripers come as you feel now. some day we/ll meet in person and you'll understand more. Flips your partner--we'll I remember when he fished with the rest of us in his 23 ft Mako. People don't think this is a sickness// I can remember being in Baitman:s basement when he was showing/giving me a rig he made up that he was doing well with up the river, I went to leave with a couple of rigs and he went nuts//// HE had to hide them in a paper bag so his sister wouldn't see them ----- and tell his brothers. As you have read on this site the thought. of surf fishing has hit a nerve with me and I would like to try it . if I get to great!! if not thats ok too. AS I said before {enjoy what you have} later///

Fisherwoman
02-13-2001, 10:18 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I agree with you that there is such a thing as fishing burnout. I congradulate you on wanting to spend more time with Ali and your wife. I myself can never have children due to some unforseen circumstances, and I envy all those people out there that have children today, not that its an easy world too raise them in. But spend as much time with them as you can, your inspiration to surf fishing just may come back when your little daughter says "hey dad, will ya take me fishing" Your eyes will light up and you will have that fishing parter for life. It is as you have said that fishing isn't that much of a challenge for you anymore. You have for years put a strong and heartfelt foundation into catching the big gals out there and I commend you for that.

But for most of us we are just getting older and have health problems to boot, so for me it is just as fun to go out there and wet a line no matter what happens. Your theory on catching big fish is right on, time ,time, time on the water. But I have found that pressuring yourself to get the big cows isn't always what's improtant, although we all love the big one's. But now I enjoy spending time with Baitcaster out there under the stars at night or watching the sun come up in the morning, or just running across an unexpected huge school of fish and having a ball.

We wish you and your family well and I hope Ali is feeling better. You have wonderful memories that no one can ever take away from you. Savor it well my friend, because you just never know what is instore for our fisheries, you may have enjoy some of the best fishing there ever was.

keeperseeker
02-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Last year I had decided that I was going to go after stripers like never before. It looked like it was going to be a great season and I was going to get that trophy fish. On my first trip out my son bagged a keeper and I caught a few just short of keeper size. This trip fueled my resolve and I went out with my cousin a week later. We hit our favorite spots and caught some nice fish. I was definetely pumped for the season. When I arrived home, however, I found that my life had taken a bad turn. I had just missed the ambulance that drove away from my house carrying my wife and my stricken mother-in-law who, being blind and handicapped, had lived with us for 16 years. After a quick shower I made my way to the hospital and was there for the rest of the day. It was the worst day of my life. I stood there with my wife watching helplessly as her mother
slowly and silently slipped away from us into eternity. It was hard on both of us, but especially hard for my wife. Neither of us was able to be at our daughter's high school graduation, which we insisted our daughter should attend without us.

At the time we were still unsure of my mother-in-law’s condition and thought that once she stabilized, we could make the ceremony. But she never recovered and slipped into an irreversible coma. She died around noontime but was kept breathing by a machine for three hours while the doctors tested and re-tested, confirming that there was no hope of her recovery. The machines were disconnected at just about the same time my daughter was graduating at 4pm.

It would be almost three months before I would fish again. Never again would fishing be given such a priority in my life. Never again would I leave my four kids home where I had selfishly left them that day so I didn't have to contend with helping them with their bait and tackle.
The next time I got out there, in late September, with my new priorities, my son hauled in another keeper and my daughter caught several smaller fish. My older two were both at college. We had the best time. I no longer identify myself by the size or quantity of my fish. The quality of the time I spend with my family and friends is the "keeper" I want now.

eelman
02-13-2001, 03:34 PM
Good post Keeperseeker,That puts things in perspective.

I cant tell you how many family get togethers I have missed because of fishing.If the tide was right and there were fish to be caught,I was there at the water.I have missed weddings,funerals,birthday parties etc..etc..etc..My family would not even bother to ask where I was anymore,they knew!! What kills me though is that they never missed anything that was for me..Talk about feeling like a #^&#^&#^&#^&heel!!!

And im not talking about distant relatives here,Im talking about first cousins ,aunts and uncles,you name it!! I used to tell everyone not plan any event between april and november!! Because I could not commit to being there!! I know thats sick!! But its true,I have been on the "outs" with my mom and dad more times than I can count because I blew family off to fish.

John Has seen a taste of that with me since he met me but, if he had known me a few years earlier he would have seen a real jerk!!

My family has always been there for me and when they would ask me to do the simpilist of things like show some respect at a wake or wedding I would be a no show!! All because of fishing!!

The fish will always be there! There is always another night.

Slipknot
02-13-2001, 11:01 PM
WOW! .... I'm speechless at the moment.

It's not a boring rant #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. You have taken a huge step forward getting that out . I guess this winter alot of things have been going thru your head. It's great to take time to smell the roses. Good luck

JohnR
02-14-2001, 09:45 AM
Keeperseeker, what you went through with your family certainly puts things into the proper perspective. But you have an opportunity to spend better time with your family, including but certainly not limited to fishing with them. It looks like you want to make the best of that. Good luck.

Alot of us, myself included, eat, sleep, breath, and dream fish and perhaps let it consume too much of our lives. My wife and I just had a new son a couple months ago and I am happier now than I think I've ever been, that has been changing my perspective on where fishing lines up on my priority list. Fishing for stripers IS my personal happy place where I can get away and do what I want to do. It will remain that way but just not as all encompassing is it was as I hope to do some serious, quality fishing this year but not the quanity of last year.

Anyway, I hope all of you that are looking to spend more wuality time with your family and friends do just that before that chance is taken away.

Keeperseeker, do I know you?

Plug
02-14-2001, 04:50 PM
Nice post Bill! Sentiments many of us have experienced to one degree or another. I think you'll find that with the new perspective you'll find yourself enjoying fishing more.

schoolie monster
02-15-2001, 03:58 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, dude, I think you had a really scary situation recently and you are having a "moment of clarity."

You took a step back and looked at things.

There's nothing wrong with having a passion in your life. Alot of people don't have that... how many people do you know that spend all their time in front of the tube or out at bars partying or whatever. We're lucky, we have an outlet, something that wipes the slate clean after a rough week. Fishing has to be one of the greatest escapes there is... but sometimes we put things too far up the priority list. When you love doing something that much, its hard to maintain that balance between your passion and your family, your career, etc. etc. If your life is like most, you're getting pulled 8 different directions 24/7. If you find that perfect balance, tell all of us, 'cause I doubt anyone knows where it is.

In a way, I'm lucky. My wife is a busy body and runs around like a nut all the time. I respectfully give her that time out of the house, as she gives me my fishing time, and it keeps me home with the kid. I love my time with my daughter and would like to think that I would choose to stay home even if my wife was a home-body... but who knows.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. A fisherman is a big part of who you are...along with being a husband and most importantly, a father... scale back some, spend some quality time with the family... you'll still have lots of time to fish.

As far as I have seen in my short time in this life, fishing and having a kid are the meaning of life... these are the things that bring me the most joy. It sure isn't fixing computers or putting a floor in my basement or driving an hour in traffic to work.

It looks like you gave us all a place to rant. Good thread...