View Full Version : in the market, finally!

Jamie M
06-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Now that the financing is settled on the house, my wife has given me permission to seriously start looking for a boat. We'll do our boating out of Groton, CT. Most of the time, I'll be slinging eels into the rocky shores around Fishers Island and the Niantic area. Occasionally, my wife and golden retriever will be out with me for sunbathing and lunch. Also some scuba-diving.

I'm looking for a center console in the 21-23 foot range. Preferably from a mid-tier manufacturer (I'm looking for the "Honda" of boats - I don't want a KIA, and I can't afford a Lexus). A clean, used boat would be ideal, but a new boat is a slight possibility.

There are 2 features I'm looking for that will eliminate most models. First, the hull must be set up in such a way that my wife and sister can comfortably lay out and sunbathe. This could be accomplished with a huge casting deck, or molded bench seats, in front of the console.

Second, I'd like the engine mounted on a platform that runs the width of the transom, with easy access to the platform. This will accomplish 2 things - it'll give me a spot where I can sit at the water's edge and put my dive gear on, and it gives my golden retriever an easy place to get in and out of the water. This will eliminate most center consoles in that size range, as many mount the engine in a tiny notch cut into the transom.

I found this 1998 Sport-craft center console. It also has a nice vee berth (like Maritime Skiff's new 23-footer). The boat looks extremely clean, but I've heard mixed reviews about Sportcrafts. But I really like the added bonus of a small cabin. Asking price is $21,000.

I plan on looking at the Sea Hunt 23, the Pacific Skiff 23, and I believe Key West makes a 22 or 23 foot center console that fits the bill. Any other models I should look at?

Thanks,

Jamie M

RockLobsta
06-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Jamie

Good luck on the boat search. I just spent the last three years or so looking for the "perfect" boat. It can be frustrating at times. I looked at alot of boats in that time and up until the last year was also looking at the center console models. However, I started thinking about some of the same things diving, my wife's comfort level, fishing etc. I came to the conclusion she wouldn't be comfy in a CC. So I started looking at Dual Consoles. Long story short, bought a 98' Scout DC. Plenty of room for fishing, diving or just having the family out on. She can put a lounge chair on it if she wants.

I too would like a cabin especially after the freakin' weather were having lately. But I would like a stand up pilot house.....that willl be my next boat, but not for another five years or so when I (read-she) am convinced we like boating enough to upgrade.

http://jimfoster.com/images/Scout/full_side.jpg

mrmacey
06-05-2003, 07:51 PM
I got the all around nice family boat if you want to talk I might be persuaded to sell I got alot of things going on right now but this boat is a 2001 bought in 2002 100 hrs awsome little family boat under warranty till 2007 20 fter 3.0 135 very cheap on gas top speed 35 miles an hour if you want to go out some time let me know ill take you and the wife and oh yea the dog can come too Im in no hurry to sell but if you were interested we can talk!!

mrmacey
06-05-2003, 07:53 PM
one

MakoMike
06-06-2003, 06:54 AM
Jamie,
You said "(I'm looking for the "Honda" of boats - I don't want a KIA, and I can't afford a Lexus)."
IMHO the sportcraft is more akin to a Yugo.

JohnR
06-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Check out the Sea Hunt & Sea Pro boats & DEFINITELY the Seaswirl 21' boats...

fishsmith
06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
While I lurk the jersey sites getting ready for my vaca I saw this:

http://www.thebassbarn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000458

Jamie M
06-06-2003, 09:10 AM
MakoMike -

Thanks for the scoop. I have heard mixed reviews, at best, about Sportcraft. I just got very excited when I saw this hull, because it looked like it would really fit the bill.

MakoMike
06-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Jamie,
Good luck on the hunt. Don't forget that if you see the right boat at the right price and its just missing a little something, like a casting platform for the sunworshippers, it can be added on.

Mr. Sandman
06-06-2003, 11:00 AM
The problem with finding the perfect boat....is there is always a better perfect boat you come across after you just bought your perfect boat.:p

IMO buying a lightly used boat offers the best "value" but there are risks you assume and timing is important if you want your deal. Also this is the absolute WRONG time to be shopping around for the best deal on a used boat....Try starting your search in late sept and loook thru october and Nov when people are thinking of wrapping up the boating season and selling.
Making an offer then carries some real leverage. You make an offer in Nov on a boat...the seller is almost assuured that your offfer will be the last one he hears about until next spring. Also he is looking at more boating expenses (winter storage and spring make ready) plus his boat is another year older. In the spring, when everyone thinks ...."Hey, I have an idea, lets get a boat!!" This is when you will pay the most and offers are everywhere. Your almost better buying a leftover new boat as the used boat prices are at their peak.
Sure there are always deals to be had...but if you are looking for your perfect boat....either buy a new one or leftover thru a dealer now or buy a used in the fall/winter.

gf2020
06-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Calling Sport-Craft a "Yugo" is a little harsh. Not as good as Scout, Key West or Sea Pro, probably, but pretty decent value for for the price.

That 24' Sport-Craft in Baltimore is a good deal. The company recently closed it's doors so warranty work will be non-existent, but you probably wouldn't need anything serious anyways.

Plenty of used boats out there. Narrow your requirements and budget further and the decision will be easier.

Nauti Buoy
06-07-2003, 07:33 PM
I'll strongly second JohnR's suggestion to check out the Seaswirl! ;)

Roop
06-08-2003, 07:05 AM
So far my two kids (7&6) and pregnant wife have had limited but very positive experiences on my new boat - a used 22' Hydra Sport cc. Wife's only demand was some sun protection, so I got one witha t-top and like the added storage and protection vs. an open boat.

I love & would have bought the 23 Sea Hunt if I could have gotten the deal I wanted but those boats are going for a premium now.

Good luck