View Full Version : Fisherman's Workbench

N.ShoreFisher
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
So, I don't know if this is the right spot for this thread, but figured I'd give it a shot. I'm gonna be starting the building of my fishing workbench for my basement in a few days. I have a basic design ready to go, but I'm looking for any ideas or pics of your work benches. Mine is gonna be about 8 ft long, and will have a bottom shelf, work top area and a peg board back with places for my Plano storage boxes and a top shelf for all my fishing magazines my wife has been trying to make me throw away. I'm gonna mount a rod drier motor on one end, but that's all I got so far. So any pics and suggestions would be very much welcomed!!

BigFish
01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I built the top and bottom framework of my benches first! Then I attach them to the wall getting them level and then I add the legs to support the outer frame work! I find it makes for a strong and stable work bench! Just my own way of doing things!:uhuh:

I will try to post some pics later if possible.

Ryan560
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
This thread might help you out with workbench design, found it on another board I frequent
work benches... from scratch - The Garage Journal Board (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50406)

piemma
01-02-2013, 03:57 AM
This is terrible but I got 2 embalming tables out of the dump that I use for my benches. They work great and I try not to think of how many bodies were on them,

GattaFish
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I built the top and bottom framework of my benches first! Then I attach them to the wall getting them level and then I add the legs to support the outer frame work! I find it makes for a strong and stable work bench! Just my own way of doing things!:uhuh:

I will try to post some pics later if possible.

This is exactly how I built my workbench... Cheap 2x4s, screws, black paint and MDF top with 3 coats of urethane... Rock solid....

There is no question I will never build drawers either.. These tool boxes have been fantastic.. Just make sure you screw them to the shelf then you can have all the drawes open at once with no worrries...

Swimmer
01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I am building, this week I :confused:promise, a 2' x 2' by 4' tall rolling bench/table/pile everything here work area. Need something that I can use to place all the chit that is on the radial arm saw, table saw, and drill press. All small, even tiny stuff, that you need for just above every plug making move you make. I saw one in a magazine and the bell went on. I have some 3/4" plywood cut to size allready, including the wheels. I just have to pick up a few 2" x 4"'s. I m going to have a couple of side shelves that I will drill out for screw drivers, pliers of all types, and ofther small chit. It will have a second shelf that the drill will hang out on along with a couple of other hand tolls of the same size.

It may get done today, yup.:uhuh:

BigFish
01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
PS- I used 2 by 4's for the legs....more than sturdy enough! 4 by 4's are over kill! 3/4" on the bench top and 3/8" on the storage shelf below is all you need! I have a 125 pound bench top drill press on top and its more than sturdy enough and it keeps costs down!

BigFish
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I also have a nice vintage piece of maple butcher block about 30" by 5 feet long and I think I am going to make a table out of it and use black iron pipe for the frame work!!! The maple weighs about 300 pounds!!!

chefchris401
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Bob heres my set up, basic but gets the job done, its not a true work area, as its the spare room for storage and computer desk and anything random, but it works.

Rod bench is 36" high x 24" deep and 12' long, I have my power wrapper and extension on it now, I just clamp the wrapper to the table when I know Ill be doing a lot of work on it. easy to push against the wall when not in use.

8ft sheet of pegboard for rods and tools, plugs, random stuff, needs to be organized more and stuff needs to be put away. pegboard is cheap, its the hangers that cost $$$, buy more than you need as they get used up quick, I also picked up some tool holders that fit the peg board for scissors, pliers, etc.

Other work table is 36" high x 24" deep x 7' long, I used the end piece of the ply wood to make a lip on each side, this is my plug building area, i havent mounted the drill press and table saw in place yet, as Im still playing around with the layout, small shop vac mounted on the wall from lowes, power strip under it with everything plugged in, easy to kill power to everything that way. All fishing related bins under the table.

i used 2x4s for the leg, cheap and easy to get, and 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the top, its level and smooth finish. plywood was the biggest cost, think it was $37

I put one 2x4 parallel on the wall first, then put the plywood to top of that and added legs, I also added braces since i took these pics to stop the legs from getting moved while moving bins or working. tables are sturdy and don't flex.

Check the cut off bin at the supply places, I got most of my legs in there for 51 cents each and just cut em to size.

I went with 36" cause you can sit or stand at that height where if you build the tables at 30" (standard desk height) you will have to sit or be really bent over while working on it.

good luck on your project

PRBuzz
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I've been playing in my room redoing the decor and general cleaning out the sh*t from my shop, like trash, radial arm saw, cabinet, etc. He's what I came up with and thanks to Chris (Chunkah) even got a sink to rinse the saltwater off all my tackle.

N.ShoreFisher
01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
WOW!! Good stuff guys! Gave me some great ideas!!! Thanks.

Chunkah
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
I've been playing in my room redoing the decor and general cleaning out the sh*t from my shop, like trash, radial arm saw, cabinet, etc. He's what I came up with and thanks to Chris (Chunkah) even got a sink to rinse the saltwater off all my tackle.

It warms my heart the thing is getting used!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

justplugit
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Harbor Freight has an oak/4 drawer 5ft work bench on sale this month for
$129. Cost you more for wood let alone time building it.
I made up a nice bench with 8 drawers, with 2 Sears metal rolling tool chests and a 3/4 x 8' ply for top.
You can get the tool chests on sale for $99 each plus $30 for the ply and roll
it wherever you wan't.

piemma
01-03-2013, 03:24 AM
If I ever took a pic of my workshop you guys would puke.:) I even hate it. Total mess but no time to re-org

bobber
01-03-2013, 06:23 AM
you guys are way too neat.....

PRBuzz
01-03-2013, 06:39 AM

I didn't post BEFORE pics!:)

JohnR
01-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Harbor Freight has an oak/4 drawer 5ft work bench on sale this month for
$129. Cost you more for wood let alone time building it.
I made up a nice bench with 8 drawers, with 2 Sears metal rolling tool chests and a 3/4 x 8' ply for top.
You can get the tool chests on sale for $99 each plus $30 for the ply and roll
it wherever you wan't.

Saw that - use one of those and a scratch and dent kitchen "formichael" counter top and you are all set (for the woodworking challeneged like me)

BigFish
01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Paul didn't you just build a nice new garage??

nightfighter
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM

No kidding..... look like clean rooms.

I prefer to see the use of top and bottom rails in building a free standing frame, to which you attach the table top. Here is a basic overview.

How To Build A Low-Cost Sturdy Work Bench From 2x4's And OSB (http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html)

RIJIMMY
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
i recently organized my garage (no basements in TX) and got some decent shelving and work benches at Sams Club - good quality for the price

Ultra Heavy-Duty 12-Drawer Rolling Workbench - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-12-drawer-rolling-workbench/prod1480010.ip?navAction=)

Seville Classics Lighted Hardwood Top Workbench - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-classics-lighted-hardwood-top-workbench/prod3460484.ip)

Ultra Heavy-Duty Workbench - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?navAction=)

macojoe
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Pallet racks work great!! Up easy, can be 12" long, adjustable, can hold 4000#,and as many shelves you need. Thats what I have for a bench and a fishing table one on each side of the building. Its a mess right now but I am going to miss them when I move, but they are for sale also.

http://www.wellcraftv20.com/gallery/albums/album186/001_G.sized.jpg

http://www.wellcraftv20.com/gallery/albums/album186/PC090001.sized.jpg

striper junkie
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Maybe I was lucky (or just cheap and poor lol) but everything in the workshop were hand-me-downs or stuff I found. I have an old pine table as a workbench with some cut offs of 2x4s nailed to the legs to jack it up to the right height. Got a couple big toolboxes with multiple drawers as handmedowns too. I did have to by the tools though. I need some pegboard...

striper junkie
01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
This is terrible but I got 2 embalming tables out of the dump that I use for my benches. They work great and I try not to think of how many bodies were on them,

Where did you find those?!?! Hey, whatever works!

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
This is exactly how I built my workbench... Cheap 2x4s, screws, black paint and MDF top with 3 coats of urethane... Rock solid....

There is no question I will never build drawers either.. These tool boxes have been fantastic.. Just make sure you screw them to the shelf then you can have all the drawes open at once with no worrries...

How many hours did you spend cleaning before taking this pic? :)
Nice work!

GattaFish
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
How many hours did you spend cleaning before taking this pic? :)
Nice work!

Actually that was just as I was finishing up the shop. It hasn't been that clean since... Almost 4 years ago

Piscator
01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
As for a workbench, mine looks good but it sucks for sitting down and working. It’s basically a concrete block slab. Ideally I wish I had a nice wood one that was more functional and had space underneath. When we bought our house there was a second basement from an addition that was not being used and I transformed it into a fishing/boat storage room. I typically use the wood work bench in my garage instead.

Here are some before & during pics of the room.

Piscator
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Here are a few pics of the room after..................I did just have a few days off over the holidays and “straightened up a bit” before I took these :uhuh:.

justplugit
01-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Ya John, ya gotta simplify, I had to rip out my 40 yr old 12ft bench, made with
a bolted 4x4 frame when we did the french drains.Took me a day to take it out
and to the dump.
That little HB bench holds my drill press and just enuff room to work. Stays
neater too, large flat surfaces draw stuff like a magnet. :hihi:

Nice job Piscator, gotta luv that fireplace in the corner.

N.ShoreFisher
01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
wow, hell of a set up!

Piscator
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
gotta luv that fireplace in the corner.

Ha ha. It's one of those electric plug in ones. $80 at Ocean State (can't go wrong), makes it nice and toasty in there. My bro-in-law just gave me a 13" flat screen and I'm going to put it above on the shelf corner for some additional "entertainment"

niko
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Here are a few pics of the room after..................I did just have a few days off over the holidays and “straightened up a bit” before I took these :uhuh:.

it's like a fishing bunker

MAKAI
01-05-2013, 04:26 PM
So when Piscator's mom said to him as a kid " Go clean your room ! ". He said " cool ".

Real nice room btw. Can't find a kayak in mine.

piemma
01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Paul didn't you just build a nice new garage??

I did Larry. It has the boat on one side and my front loader on the other. It's also close to being trashed. I just don't have the time to be neat.
My wife will not go near my workshop as she says it's a death trap.

N.ShoreFisher
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
the build

N.ShoreFisher
01-14-2013, 10:43 PM
some more

N.ShoreFisher
01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
depending on which direction you place the 2x4's in, you might end up having a slight gap....ooops. But I fixed that by dropping in a knife block and then making a cut out to fit

N.ShoreFisher
01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
cut the peg board, added a magnifying lamp(which I modified with a SB logo), but still need to put up shelves

N.ShoreFisher
01-14-2013, 10:50 PM
had to wash out some of my plano boxes, so I had a chance to start changing out hooks and split rings while I waited for the boxes to dry.

nightfighter
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Paint the pegboard and table top white to get more reflective light. Simple and makes a big difference.

N.ShoreFisher
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
bump

JohnR
01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Nice :btu:

Agree on the white pegboard...

Piscator
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Nice transformation!!!

Circlehook
01-15-2013, 10:44 PM

The Formaldehyde will keep them impervious to rot and bacteria as well. People are dying to get on those things.