View Full Version : Light tackle trolling using a Shimano Calcutta 400 reel

Water Treater
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Anyone ever troll for striped bass and bluefish using a Shimano Calcutta 400 bait casting reel? I realize line capacity of these reels may not be great for trolling purposes but I was wondering if the gears inside these reels would stand up to constant pressure from a trolled lure?

piemma
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Anyone ever troll for striped bass and bluefish using a Shimano Calcutta 400 bait casting reel? I realize line capacity of these reels may not be great for trolling purposes but I was wondering if the gears inside these reels would stand up to constant pressure from a trolled lure?

I've caught bass up to 42# on a 400 in the surf so I would say yes

numbskull
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I've used these reels for close to twenty years. Love 'em. I've trolled with them, jigged with them, and thrown tens of thousands of casts with them. They have their issues (water intrusion from casting spray, anti-reverse failure from bushing wear, fragile frame screws) but I've never had any issue with the gears. I wouldn't think it is a problem and even if it turns out to be replacing the gears would be short money.

Bronko
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
They are terrific reels. As stated above they can handle just about every application for local striper fishing and are very well but. IMO, you can't go wrong.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

keeperreaper
01-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I have used that reel for years for trolling for bass and blues. Only complaint is the screws that hold the plate on are very fragile. I send mine in yearly for service and it is very reasonable.

Water Treater
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Next summer I will troll using a Shimano Calcutta 400 bait casting reel.

zacs
01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
you will be happy. i've trolled, casted, and jigged with mine.

striper junkie
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't own one myself, but I know quite a few people who do and I don't think I've ever heard negative feedback. I do know some kayakers who troll with them.

Rob Rockcrawler
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I got a 44lb bass on a boat using one and it worked great, love the drag on it and it got a workout for sure.

MAKAI
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Troll off the yak with one, first time serviced last year. ( over a dozen years old )
Was told shimano doesn't service them anymore, so off to buckos.
Very good and versatile reel.

big jay
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Maybe occasional light tackle trolling, but in my experience they won't hold up.
A few trips diamond jigging during commercial season off Chatham and mine was toast. Rebuilt now from the factory, but its getting relegated to fluke/lite tackle duty.
Go Avet if you want something in that size with better guts.

Water Treater
01-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. I don't plan to use my Shimano Calcutta reel for jigging. The abrupt force of jigging places a lot of strain on a reel's gears, probably greater than the pressure exerted by continuously trolling a lure of the same weight.

The reason I asked about trolling with Shimnao Calcutta's is because years ago (in the mid-1990's) my children and I had fun trolling lures weighing less than 2 ounces using an Abu Garcia SX 7700Cl Ambassadeur baitcasting reel spooled with 16# and 20# Greenspot traditional Braided Dacron line. We caught hundreds of striped bass up to 43 inches on that "trolling outfit". I miss those days and would like to create another lightweight trolling outfit. Whatever happened to these high end Abu Garcia levelwind reels made from solid block of aluminum? I wish I had kept mine.