View Full Version : metal sand spikes

niko
01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
where can i buy some more of these? steel, heavy, with good welds

tysdad115
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Hatteras Jack had some killer ones Paul. I saw one and was impressed, if only I threw bait..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Chunkah
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
The last one I bought was years ago, but I got it at P&J Bait and Tackle in Dorchester...they're closed until April.

Not really sure that helps.

niko
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Hatteras Jack had some killer ones Paul. I saw one and was impressed, if only I threw bait..

they take thier chunking serious down there. it's an underappreciated art form up here. riddiculed and labeled a googan by the plugging crowd :rotf2:

BigFish
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Boring but productive!

Rob Rockcrawler
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I second the boring but productive. I never thought i would go to block island and spend half my time chunkin. Did it this past fall and it saved the trip.

ProfessorM
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Many years ago I used to luv doing it at Chapin Beach with a high low sand eel rig. Many a large bass was caught from there using that method, probably still. Lawn chair and a little bell or one of those little light type sticks on the tips and maybe some beers made for a nice night

RickBomba
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Many years ago I used to luv doing it at Chapin Beach with a high low sand eel rig. Many a large bass was caught from there using that method, probably still. Lawn chair and a little bell or one of those little light type sticks on the tips and maybe some beers made for a nice night

You should have walked a little further down the beach and found Mikey and I...there was a guy that was making me one out of a street sign base and I never saw him again!

ProfessorM
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
We probably walked right by each other a few times. A few years later ended up getting a tin boat and never looked back although I still fish the same waters till this day.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Paul just get some pvc and angle iron. My uncle used to make them and they lasted forever.

MAKAI
01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Baldy,
Spent many fun years kicking back and fishing fresh sand eels of the back. Made my own out of 2" electrical aluminum conduit and aluminum angle 1 1/2 " by 3/16. l liked them 5 feet high to stay above the surf line and if I was on a bar the reels stayed somewhat dry. Very strong,no rust and lightweight.

tattoobob
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I fish bait in the fall, I make my own out of PVC Pipe And Aluminum angle

niko
01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
so the aluminum holds up? i usually set them with a 3 lb hammer and was thinking the aluminum would buckle when i hit a rock

tattoobob
01-03-2013, 09:10 PM
I fish on the sand and don't need a hammer, I wouldn't use a hammer on PVC either It will crack at some point. Maybe you could draw something up and bring it to a welding shop and have them make a few for you

striper junkie
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't know the quality, but I think I saw some at #^&#^&#^&#^&s at one point. Could have been along time ago knowing my memory lol.

MAKAI
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
so the aluminum holds up? i usually set them with a 3 lb hammer and was thinking the aluminum would buckle when i hit a rock

No issues at all, a few wiggles and their in deep. Kick a little sand in on them and they do not move. The 3/16 is a lot tougher than you think. I can lean on them like a mofo and they don't even seem like i could bend them. And believe me I can bend and break stuff.:musc::)

Sure I got a few extra laying around if you want to try them out.

MikeD
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
No need for those, I saw a guy laying with his girlfriend on humarock this summer with the handle burried up to the reel seat. Seemed legit. :hihi: