View Full Version : Rite Bobbin

Ian
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Anyone use these? I have so many different size spools of thread that I was considering picking one of these up. The cabelas in East Hartford had them discounted significantly but are now sold out. Considering picking one up elsewhere... worth the ~$25 tag?

JackK
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
They are awesome. I use the mag half hitch. Well worth it- especially considering how often its used.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ian
01-09-2013, 03:11 PM
They are awesome. I use the mag half hitch. Well worth it- especially considering how often its used.

I was considering that one, but then I figured it wouldn't really work for my freshwater bead head patterns. Have you ever used the half hitch feature over a bead?

JackK
01-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Haven't used it over a bead. Don't see how it would work, to be honest. Also doesn't really work on the other large SW patterns and steelhead swingers I tie. But the ergonomics of it, the way it fits in my hand, can't be beat. And it works on about 50% of the flies I tie otherwise, so definitely worth the extra $10 over a different standard bobbin.

I also find that the adjustable tension feature saves me from breaking the thread when I'm tying teeny swift river flies.

It's funny... As fly fishermen we'll drop $100 on gas for a trip, easy. We'll spend hundreds of dollars on tying materials, some of which rarely get used. But when it comes to spending a little extra for a bobbin... Which is such a vital tool to tying... we start pinching pennies. Go figure! :jump1:

Ian
01-11-2013, 12:50 AM
I went with the standard rite bobbin. Ended up having nothing to do with cost. I just liked the 1-9 oz thread tension range more than 2-16... I tie a lot using micro mono cord

Ian
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Got it yesterday, love the thing. Noticing that 9 ounces of pressure isn't a lot of pressure, my hand provides the remaining pressure, but thinking I may have wanted the mag bobbin after all