View Full Version : mosquito lagoon, FL?

RIJIMMY
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
anyone ever fished here? I will be in the area early March and booked a guide for reds. Im curious if anyone has some experiences to share.

Sea Dangles
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I fished it a couple times with Captain Troy Perez and we got some very large reds with live shrimp.Will you be staying in Melbourne?

fishbones
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Will you be staying in Melbourne?

Not if there's a cupcake ban there.

Zeno
01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I'd say you call Roy and mug him by driving to Fort Myers.:fishin::uhuh: From what i see on FB the dude does not miss a beat

RIJIMMY
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
I fished it a couple times with Captain Troy Perez and we got some very large reds with live shrimp.Will you be staying in Melbourne?

We'll be at Disney but I want to break away for a day. Its about an hour drive. I want reds but I'd be happy with jacks or trout.

Swimmer
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Call Roy, he has only been in Florida a month, but it seems like he has fish just about everyplace like Zeno said.

Sea Dangles
01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Fort Myers is not too close to Disney but I have fished there for tarpon in May.....Jimmy,I drove across from Clearwater last year to fish last year.It wasn't a great bite for whatever reason but Troy still put me on fish.I think I put pics up a few years ago when we slammed fish into the 30s.I have always gone in March also,it can be windy and tough to spot the "new mud"Troy tells me to cast to.Google Troy Perez and you can see why I fish with him,let me know if you need his number.He gets it done.

wdmso
01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Went several years ago 6 hour charter Fished my Ass off and caught nothing worth even a photo, but it was a nice day and good just being on the water .
I expect my trip was the exception not the rule

Finaddict
01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
I fished there a number of times when I lived in Florida - my best trip was with a friend John Kumiski - John does canoe trips into the no motor zone in the Mosquito Lagoon behind Cape Canaveral ... it was a rainy day in February and the sun came out just as it was getting to sunset ... we had redfish tails everywhere, caught a ton of fish and had a great time.

The only caveat to the day was the time I stepped out of the canoe and my wader boot got stuck in the mud and I went face down ... it was warm enough so didn't make that much of a difference ... also the other challenge was on the way home as I lived in Miami at the time and while driving home in the dark after getting up at 2 a.m. for fishing, started to get a comfortable warm feeling ... decided it did not make sense to feel that way and woke up just before rear-ending a small car a head of me ... it was enough of a jolt to not fall asleep again.

If Troy Perez is not available - check out John Kumiski. John is great.

Another good choice, a little longer trip is Capt. George LaBonte - he is a member on the board here ... charters out of Jupiter and catches a ton of fish, is a great captain as well ... worth the extra drive.

yabuticus
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I fished with Nathaniel Lemmon while on vacation at Disney. We fished Mosquito Lagoon. Spent part of the day targeting juvenille tarpon (one hit - no love) and the rest of the day hunting reds...I was fly fishing, but he spin fishes as well. Had a great day...landed 8 fish up to about 10 lbs. Nathaniel was a great guide - He knows his stuff, but is not "up in your face"...I highly recommend him if you still need a guide. btw, it was may when I was there.
Good Luck!
Mark

RIJIMMY
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
thanks for the info. I have a guide, it was difficult to find someone to take me and my 2 kids. Most guides dont want 3 in their boat, small flats skiff, and most didnt want to take kids given the nature of the fishing. i explained my kids spent hours with me casting for schoolies or blues and are used to workign for their fish. A few guides reccomended a guide that will accomodate and is comfortable with kids. My daughter may change her mind and not accompany me, my son will be in. I look forward to a day on the water on the flats always a good experience.
Dangles - my parents lived in Ft Myers for 10 yrs so I spent some time fishin the area. I love the gulf coast over there. My Dad used to kayak fish for trout and reds and have bull sharks follow fish right to the yak. crazy stuff.