View Full Version : Plug Bag Question

the point
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Where could I pick up some Clear tubes to replace the ones that I have now that are cracked and have took a beaten. Any Ideas or a Place I could get something to use to replace them, Thank you.

stripermaineiac
01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Rockler has some clear tubes for dust setups that are around 2.5 in an 3 ft long.Cuts easy with a ban saw or similar. Very rugged.I get 4 peices 9 in long and have retrofitted several of my Aquaskinz bags an a mac bag with them. Ron

PI guy
01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Commando Surfcasting sells replacement tubes, not sure of the exact sizes though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ivanputski
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
has anyone been able to find 2" tubes? i have a 2-tube bag that takes two 3 inch tubes, but can fit 5 if 2" tubes are used.

Additionally, for those of you who have cut sections of long tubes, what are you using to create a bottom for the tube? I used folded over duct tape with some punched holes, but my tail hooks always seem to get stuck in the tape or under the bottom edge of the tube.

chefchris401
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Chad go to Home Depot or lowes they sell something in the sign and numbers isle, 3" clear plastic tube, very similar to what the plug bags come with.

Or get a set from Tom at commando, things are bomb proof

DZ
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Where could I pick up some Clear tubes to replace the ones that I have now that are cracked and have took a beaten. Any Ideas or a Place I could get something to use to replace them, Thank you.

Point,
Shampoo bottles work well and cut down weight.

DZ

the point
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks fellas, I'll check out home depot first.

Jackbass
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
has anyone been able to find 2" tubes? i have a 2-tube bag that takes two 3 inch tubes, but can fit 5 if 2" tubes are used.

Additionally, for those of you who have cut sections of long tubes, what are you using to create a bottom for the tube? I used folded over duct tape with some punched holes, but my tail hooks always seem to get stuck in the tape or under the bottom edge of the tube.

Plastics unlimited in worcester ma sells clear plastic tubing. They also sell caps for the bottoms as well. We used to buy tubing up to six foot in length for other reasons when I was in school "cough cough"

numbskull
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
US plastic...you will need to buy 8 ft worth and shipping will be about 15-20 bucks. You will need to reuse the caps or order those elsewhere. They will have any size you want.

MAKAI
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Tennis ball tubes. Plenty in the barrels at tennis court. Just leave the soda bottles for the bums.

thefishingfreak
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Plastic safety guards that slide over fluorescent light bulbs at home depot

bogey
01-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Ivan
The Surfcaster sells a 5 tube 2in insert

Jackbass
01-19-2013, 06:56 AM

I have tried those and they work well but don't last the plastic
Is very thin on them

the point
01-19-2013, 03:17 PM

They are not Wide enough, Home Depot Had nothing to fit my needs.. Might Try Shampoo Bottles, or Tennis Ball tubes(which might be to wide) I will see What I can Come Up With.. If not I will order some from Commando Surfcasting.
Thanks for all the input

DZ
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
They are not Wide enough, Home Depot Had nothing to fit my needs.. Might Try Shampoo Bottles, or Tennis Ball tubes(which might be to wide) I will see What I can Come Up With.. If not I will order some from Commando Surfcasting.
Thanks for all the input

Here are some shampoo bottles - add drain holes, duct tape together, put in bag. Just wash your hair a lot! ;)

bigwavedave
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I know that BIG TIM favors crystal lite bottles. The kind that the pre measured cups come in

ivanputski
01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
thanks guys... And DZ, your plug bin looks a lot like mine: Lots of needles & finnish swimmers... barely any metal lips.

piemma
01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Here are some shampoo bottles - add drain holes, duct tape together, put in bag. Just wash your hair a lot! ;)
That's all we used back in the 70s before there were even surf bags. We use to buy army surplus gas mask bags at the Army Navy store and use Suave shampoo bottles cut off, drilled to drain and duck taped together.

Roger
01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
THome Depot Had nothing to fit my needs.. Might Try Shampoo Bottles, or Tennis Ball tubes(which might be to wide)

The thin walled PVC for central vac systems ~2" is a bit smaller than tennis tubes and it and the caps are cheap. You'll find it in the area of HD or Lowes that sells central vacs and shop vacs. It is not usually in the pvc pipe area.

OLD GOAT
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
hydrogen peroxide bottles & frozen orange juice cans. Plus you can stay healthy as well.

OLD GOAT
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Almost forgot. If you take a gallon windshield washer jug and cut a smile in it with you knife you can insert the small peroxide cans in the smile and have a light weight hillbilly plug bag. Go ahead and try it .
It takes guts to be seen with it during the day.. Ha,ha

spence
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
The thin walled PVC for central vac systems ~2" is a bit smaller than tennis tubes and it and the caps are cheap. You'll find it in the area of HD or Lowes that sells central vacs and shop vacs. It is not usually in the pvc pipe area.

I used the schedule 30 for plug storage boxes. Probably too big for a bag but the 3" is nice for inside a box.

DZ
01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
thanks guys... And DZ, your plug bin looks a lot like mine: Lots of needles & finnish swimmers... barely any metal lips.

Ivan,
That's just one bin of many - more plugs than I need for sure. But metal lips are indeed my lightest used plugs.

DZ