View Full Version : Penn ssv

Higgie
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Anyone fish one yet?? Checked one out for the first time today just looking for any input. Thanks

Jackbass
01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I have not even held one. It was rumored people were beta testing these last year. From what I understand they held up very well and they were stored in a five gallon pail of salt water. I honestly don't remember where I saw the review but it appears this reel is an outstanding buy? I don't own one but just something I have read
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete_G
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Still very new so we don't have any real feedback on them yet. We sold a bunch but not counting ones that went to warmer climates I don't think a lot of them have seen much use yet.

JohnnySaxatilis
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Got the old man a 3500 for his light setup. When I steal it in the spring and beat the hell out of it I'll let you know how it is:devil2: I'm kinda rooting for penn, growing up on a 704z, it would be nice for them to get back to where they once were reputation wise. Its almost like being a fan for a team that sucks from your hometown

fishbones
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm kinda rooting for penn, growing up on a 704z, it would be nice for them to get back to where they once were reputation wise. Its almost like being a fan for a team that sucks from your hometown

I swore off Penns years ago because of the bail and anti reverse bearing issues. I'd like to see if the SSV's hold up better and are really dunkable. If they are, they'll be a steal pricewise. I still don't understand why they make spinning reels with anti reverse, though. It's stupid. Also, I cant find anything about a warranty on these.

BigBo
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Also, I cant find anything about a warranty on these.
I picked up an SSV5500, but it's too new to give any valid feedback.
Penn reels all have a one year warranty.

Service | pennreels.com (http://pennreels.com/service/warranty-information)

fishbones
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks, BigBo. I went on the site and didn't even notice that link.

WoodyCT
01-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Fished a 6500 much of the fall.

Bail stays open when it should.

Drag is smooth and water tight.

Dunked it plenty but did not turn handle under water.

Casts well.

So far so good.

Higgie
01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the feed back. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 5500 for the price it seems worth it. Woody what rod did you pair the 6500 on??

seadogg
01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Heads up on the waterproof aspect. The reel is said to be dunkable, but do not turn the handle while the reel is submerged or allow drag to be stripped off. Either of these can result in water intrusion. That being said, they seem pretty well made- sturdy and smooth. As far as lifespan is concerned, that remains to be seen.

Ian
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Played around with a 4500LL at Cabelas today. VERY smooth and seemingly well constructed. I thought it would feel more like a battle, but it doesn't (in a very good way.) Waiting to hear durability stories.

ThomCat
01-24-2013, 06:44 AM
This is the fifth generation of the SS series and it looks like they got it right. Smooth and rugged. Sold out our first shipment at QLB&T quickly, got more now. Catch'em up, ThomCat:btu: