View Full Version : Homemade dupe template questions

Ryan560
01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Just a quick question on making templates, I've done a bunch of searches but I'm still unclear on a few things.
I've tried a few methods so far of printing out plugs but I keep ending up with a shadow line on the edges so it's difficult to follow the edge while cutting. Do I have to worry about trimming that contour perfect or is that something you fix after the template is made and you file or sand down spots on the template as you go? Also I tried scanning a needle I made and all the dimensions match up but the length is about a 1/4" off, thinking maybe it moved while scanning but I've been taping the plugs down to the scanner bed?

eskimo
01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
If your duplicator is like most I'm guessing you can adjust the depth until you reach the right diameter? If so, try outlining the plug with a pencil or ball point sharpie as you are only trying to achieve the shape as you you control diameter.

For the length you should be scanning in as "actual size". You can change the DPI (dot per inch) all the way to to 600 DPI for a clearer image. Taped down or not it should scan actual size.

smac
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Have you tried tracing on to a piece of plexi glass using the duplicator yet?

ProfessorM
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I used to go that route but in the past few years I just lay the plug on the template, I use maple, but what ever you are using I just lay the original or whatever you are looking to copy and I just trace the plug onto the material. I then band saw the template and then I sand, file, the contour. I keep laying the plug onto the template to see how I am doing. Once I get to what I think is good I turn one up and then I adjust the template using a set of calipers and measuring the original and then the plug I turned. I sand off a little more in each area and then put plug back between centers and turn it again taking off the adjusted area till I finally get what I want. Then I am good to turn a bunch and next time I use it I am good to go once i get the first one done and adjusted. Pretty simple process that you will eventually get pretty quick at and very accurate. I can make plugs and go back a few weeks later and I will get the same exact plug down to plus or minus .005 every time. Practice make perfect. Just got to do it a lot and you will be an expert before you know it.

Ryan560
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help! I was messing around trying to trace the outline of the plug with a pencil wasn't sure if that'd be accurate enough,I do that for handcarves and when I write dimensions and stuff down in my notebook I'll trace an outline of the plug.

I was scanning 300dpi at 100%, I'll give that a try at 600 dpi.

ProfessorM
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
To me that is the simplest way. You will have to fine tune the template no matter how you go about it. You are not going to just cut it out and be final size.

Slipknot
01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Paul is right, fine tuning usually needs to be done

if you can get a contour gauge, that will help

Q.E.P. Co., Inc. 10 in. Contour Gauge 10032Q at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/qep-co-inc-10-in-contour-gauge-10032q.html#.UQh-JGfKeSo)

that's what i do

Ryan560
01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
smac-haven't tried that yet, the plugs I'm trying to duplicate are already rigged so I can't put the plugs in the centers without cutting the wire.
Drawer Slide Tracing Jig - Woodworking Shop - American Woodworker (http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/tips/archive/2010/03/04/drawer-slide-tracing-jig.aspx)
something like this jig in the link you mean, except using the dupe and the lathe centers?

ProffesorM- Thanks for the tips. That`sounds easy enough, plus it should save me a fortune in printer cartridge refills

ProfessorM
01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Bruce's contour gauge idea works good too. I got one and have used it on occasion. Have fun

Rockfish9
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Or you can do it old school and take measurements at 1" increments along the plug... turn a master .. then put a tracer in your dupe in place of the cutter... replace the stylus with a penceil and trace the master onto a piece of lexan..the master not only gives you a master.. it also serves as a set up piece... you can blow a plug up on a computer screen to the proper length and take measurements and still be pretty darn close...it's how I do it and it has served me well..

Jackbass
01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
I do what Rock said measuring in 1" or closer increments. Then I draw the plug in Autocad. I know not everyone has Autocad but graph paper and a set of curves worked well since the Romans were building aqueducts. If you can draw the true 1:1 plug in a notebook then make copies of the drawing. Lay the copy of the original drawing on template material lexan hardwood what not and adhere the copy to the template material with some spray on glue. Then you can cut the template based on the original drawing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
I do what Rock said measuring in 1" or closer increments. Then I draw the plug in Autocad. I know not everyone has Autocad but graph paper and a set of curves worked well since the Romans were building aqueducts. If you can draw the true 1:1 plug in a notebook then make copies of the drawing. Lay the copy of the original drawing on template material lexan hardwood what not and adhere the copy to the template material with some spray on glue. Then you can cut the template based on the original drawing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I draw them onto heavey stock paper after doing them on graph paper where I also place all my notes. Then take the heavey stock paper and place on a plastic sheet, where I have drawn a right angle center line axis and trace the outline onto the plastic. Place plastic in the vega and turn a plug with it. I tweak the plastic until it is just a smidgeon over what you want in the end. Sand and voila. Using plastic allows for you to make it just a little fat, so you can tweak it to perfection. I have attach a recent card stock drawing of a Montauk Darter.

Ryan560
02-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks again for all the help guys, I was able to get my first template dialed in. I just traced the profile onto paper and spray adhesived to plexiglass, rough cut it on the bandsaw and creeped up to the final shape with a sanding block and plasti-cut file.
Worked out great, wish I didn't wait so long to build a dupe really makes the whole process more fun:jump1:

eskimo
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
template looks great. That plug looks even better.

ProfessorM
02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Looks great. If I might suggest one more thing I would also add handles to the sides of the sled as it will make using it much more enjoyable and comfortable.