View Full Version : Highly Migratory Species (HMS) permit..fishing tuna? you need this!!

Mr. Sandman
06-06-2003, 07:52 AM
http://www.nmfspermits.com/

For the 2003 fishing year, all owners/operators of vessels recreationally fishing for and/or retaining regulated Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (Atlantic tunas, sharks, swordfish and billfish) in the Atlantic Ocean, including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, must obtain an Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Angling permit.This permit has replaced the Atlantic tunas Angling category permit, and incorporates those vessels targeting other regulated HMS. Similar to Atlantic tunas and Atlantic HMS Charter/Headboat permits, the 2003 Atlantic Angling permits cost $22.00 and will be valid from the date of issuance through May 31, 2004

As the recreational fishing season for HMS begins, NOAA Fisheries wants to remind recreational fishermen about new regulations for Angling and Charter/Headboat operators who target HMS in federal waters of the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and U.S. Caribbean. The new rules went into effect on March 1 & 2, 2003. These conservation measures involve a recreational retention limit for swordfish, an inclusive recreational permit to fish for Atlantic tunas, swordfish, sharks, and billfish and a new reporting system to monitor landings of billfish and swordfish. Recreational fisheries and tournaments are big business in the economics of the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico, with the potential for hundred of thousands of participants. It is imperative that NOAA Fisheries and the recreational community work collectively to rebuild these big game fish and monitor their populations. For further details on the new changes please visit the library to obtain some useful documents to shed some light on what these changes may mean for you.
The current recreational daily bluefin tuna retention limit is ONE fish per vessel, measuring 47 to less than 73 inches curved fork length. (Subsequent changes to the daily retention limit will be announced on this web site. Angling category vessels in all areas are also allowed one large medium or giant "trophy" bluefin (measuring 73 inches curved fork length or greater) per vessel per fishing year. All bluefin must be reported by calling (888) 872-8862, visiting the www.nmfspermits.com website, or in Maryland and North Carolina, to the nearest reporting station. For North Carolina reporting station locations, call 1-800-338-7804; for Maryland reporting station locations, call (410) 213-1531. The Angling category yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length.

Van
06-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Jim,
Is this the permit i would need to chase the schoolie blue fins that come in close late season? This is just recreational fishing.

Would I need only 1 permit for the boat? Or each angler?

Mr. Sandman
06-06-2003, 08:44 AM
YES! yellowfin too! In fact nearly all tuna. The only "tuna" that is exempt from the permit is the bonito. Everything else requires this permit as far as I know.

I got mine (via on line...you can print out your own licence) for 22 bucks on the spot. The reason I got mine is that I know if I didn't I would sure as heck run into the yellowfin this summer and would be pissed that I did not spend the 22 bucks to get the permit to fish for them.

Frankly I am against this permit. The money does nothing. The 22 bucks goes to covering the cost of the permits only...nothing goes to the fishery...so what is the point? Sounds like big government for the sole purpose of bigger government. They will get some data out of it but it I think this is a good example of how fisheries management is failing. But I coughed up the 22 bucks...small potatos compared to all my other recent boating expenses.

You buy one for the boat

Van
06-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Agreed, 22 bucks,,, why bother.

Only one for the boat as well, they have no idea how many anglers might actually be fishing for them.

I could probably cheat and not get one at all, who would check!!!
But I would not do that. Like you said 22$ is short money..

Crips,,,,,Thats what I give for allowance to my kids !!

Thanks,
V.

Rip Runner
06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
For those that may not know, you have always had to have an angling permit for taking recreational Blue Fin Tuna. The Commercial permit that allows you to sell a Blue Fin tuna is something totally different. You NEVER want to get cought with a tuna in your boat that's not legal.

Mr. Sandman
06-06-2003, 05:32 PM
You did not "aways" need a permit to take tuna...It use to be a free for all.

Fly Rod
06-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Tuna permits were always free ! ! ! You still needed a permit For tuna. And don't have a tuna aboard your boat or a friends boat or you will pay dearly. About three years ago you started to pay for them.

Some day you will be purchasing a salt water fishing license, for any and all recreational fishing.